ADVERTISEMENT

OT - California colleges receive the most applications, PSU 13th highest

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
skip to Main Content

According to the Public Policy Institute of California:

college-applications_table_web.png

The high totals for California colleges are the result of the very high number of high school aged students in that state.

ppiclogo_only_reverse.svg

Last edited:
Awesome. I larger pool of out-of-state students to choose from who will pay correspondingly higher tuition rates. There are bills to be paid and the BoT can continue to tout the fact there has been no tuition increase. More out-of-staters = more revenue.

Great news it the Admissions Office is a profit center unto itself. The way PSU reviews applications it very well could be.

Yeah, you would think schools like Ohio State, Illinois, or Michigan State would get more applications than NYU, Cornell, or Boston University.

Interesting how applications have almost doubled for everyone in the last ten years.... more foreign applicants, many more multiple applications, or just fake news? I can’t imagine it being an apples to apples comparison since the educational cost has skyrocketed in the last ten years. Something doesn’t compute.

Interesting how applications have almost doubled for everyone in the last ten years.... more foreign applicants, many more multiple applications, or just fake news? I can’t imagine it being an apples to apples comparison since the educational cost has skyrocketed in the last ten years. Something doesn’t compute.

Don't underestimate the more widespread use/acceptance of the Common App.

Although only a sophomore, that's my son's current no. 1 choice. Lot's of kids want to be in the city.

It’s a great school and who wouldn’t want to live in NYC. But it’s private and competitive - would think application numbers would be lower than bigger state schools.

I don't think I have to worry...it will be a reach for him to be accepted. He's a very good musician (electric guitar) and a good but not great student. He wants to get into the music biz so he's looking at schools like NYU, Berklee, etc.

Great news it the Admissions Office is a profit center unto itself. The way PSU reviews applications it very well could be.

Too bad they had to cut their admission fees.

Within the last 20 years or so, there was at least one year when PSU received the most applications outside of CA. Traditionally we have been the most applied to university in the Big Ten. May have changed after 2011.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT