ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

;)And I am a winner!!! Got a bottle of Van Winkle 12 yo Special Reserve. $99.99.
I have seen this online for about $1100/bottle. May make an appearance at a tailgate this fall! (That is if tailgating will happen) :rolleyes:

Third time I have succeeded in the lottery. Still have the Old Rip Van Winkle
unopened from a few years ago and also won a Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye which was outstanding and sadly empty now.
When did notification go out .... checking my spam folder now

Reactions: Zenophile
When did notification go out .... checking my spam folder now
Got the email yesterday. My bil entered and he did not get one yesterday. Typically if you did not get an email yesterday you were not selected. You will get an email later to notify you that you were not selected. They are going to have you pick up the bottle at your local assigned liquor store instead of shipping.

Got the email yesterday
Thanks. I’ll be honest if I won the 10 or 12 year I would consider flipping it. I’d definitely flip the 20/23 (too much money to be made), but would keep the 15.
another board I frequent a guy sold his 10 year for $600 less than an hour after posting the offer. These bottles always move fast.

Thanks. I’ll be honest if I won the 10 or 12 year I would consider flipping it. I’d definitely flip the 20/23 (too much money to be made), but would keep the 15.
another board I frequent a guy sold his 10 year for $600 less than an hour after posting the offer. These bottles always move fast.

About 10 years ago I would buy the 10 year for around $55 at my ABC store.

Sorry if this was already discussed here, but what's the consensus on Whistle Pig 12 year? It's available at my local spot, but much pricier than my usual ($109 I believe). May splurge, but only if it's something substantially better than the usual (Woodford Double Oak, Weller's), or my occasional other splurge (Jefferson Ocean).

Sorry if this was already discussed here, but what's the consensus on Whistle Pig 12 year? It's available at my local spot, but much pricier than my usual ($109 I believe). May splurge, but only if it's something substantially better than the usual (Woodford Double Oak, Weller's), or my occasional other splurge (Jefferson Ocean).
I really like the 10 yr Whistle Pig and also recently finished a bottle of their Farmstock which was great. Cant comment on the 12 year but given their other products, I would definitely like to try it someday.

I am working to re-stock the bar and while browsing yesterday was steered towards this:

5cca33018f8d3e0da0067637_Makers-Mark-101-Proof-Travelers-Exclusive-01a.jpg

Anyone have it? I really love MM as an all purpose bourbon for sipping, cocktails, etc. This was around $50.

About 10 years ago I would buy the 10 year for around $55 at my ABC store.
Now you can’t even find Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare. Both are quality stuff, but hunting down these products is just crazy to me.

Same with the Henry McKenna BiB 10. It used to be on the shelf at the dingy state store for like $35. It won an award and was talked up by Fred Minnic, and now it retains for $99 bucks (if you can find it).

Switching gears to red wine ( if I may please), specifically Italian Amarone style. This was recommended by friends who have traveled extensively to Italy, and had me tried the Sagrantino reds(delicious), but just starting to look for information on Amarone choices. Appreciate the help!

Now you can’t even find Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare. Both are quality stuff, but hunting down these products is just crazy to me.

Same with the Henry McKenna BiB 10. It used to be on the shelf at the dingy state store for like $35. It won an award and was talked up by Fred Minnic, and now it retains for $99 bucks (if you can find it).

Yeah, my local ABC store gets shipments of BT and ER (and Blanton's) every Tuesday and there is always a line of people waiting for it. If you go right after the line dispels there are usually a few bottles of each left but they're always behind the counter. There is a ton of great stuff to try so I typically pass noting for less than $30 Buffalo Trace is awesome.

Hah same for me with Masters and the Ohio liquor lottery. You can mark the time by these annual rejections.
Keep the faith on the Masters...my dad and I got rejected for 10+ years straight, but he hit it in 2019 and I hit 2020 (which is now 2021, and most likely becomes 2022).

Reactions: wbcincy
Switching gears to red wine ( if I may please), specifically Italian Amarone style. This was recommended by friends who have traveled extensively to Italy, and had me tried the Sagrantino reds(delicious), but just starting to look for information on Amarone choices. Appreciate the help!
Only had a couple of glasses and they were great, but it's expensive. Much more cost and labor intensive to make than every other wine. Wine Access has become my new favorite online wine shop, they have the below options:

If you haven't ordered from them before, you can sign up using my referral link and get 50 off 150, plus they often have American Express deals and Rakuten deals

;)And I am a winner!!! Got a bottle of Van Winkle 12 yo Special Reserve. $99.99.
I have seen this online for about $1100/bottle. May make an appearance at a tailgate this fall! (That is if tailgating will happen) :rolleyes:

Third time I have succeeded in the lottery. Still have the Old Rip Van Winkle
unopened from a few years ago and also won a Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye which was outstanding and sadly empty now.
Your location?

First taste of bourbon anecdote...In April 1969, I was a 19 yo kid in basic training at Fort Knox. It was Easter weekend, and after noon chow on Saturday, we all received a weekend pass and bus transportation into Louisville. I checked into the old Brown Hotel, which was packed with trainees, and upon a suggestion from my buddy, picked up a pint of Jim Beam to kick off the weekend. Drinking straight from the bottle, with half gone , headed out into the night. Finished the rest among beers along the way. Easter morning brought a nasty hangover and I didn't drink bourbon after that for over 20 years. Today, it's Woodford, neat in a snifter.

I don’t have a palate but....
It’s soft without a lot of peaks or layers. I think I’m picking up vanilla over any red wine, but it does have a little touch of sherry softness. I don’t do many Japanese brown spirits, but I can imagine it aligning with some of those. A little too much burn on the finish, a property I tolerate a little better up front. Overall, a nice change up in the line up.

Too funny:D

At times I get hints of wet dog, often followed up by stale dishwasher, and a finish of balsa and cedar makes it complete.

I’ve seen Jack Daniel’s single barrel, barrel proof being talked up recently. It is apparently very good, very available, and about $55. Heard it is nothing like the old no.7. Anybody had this one?

First taste of bourbon anecdote...In April 1969, I was a 19 yo kid in basic training at Fort Knox. It was Easter weekend, and after noon chow on Saturday, we all received a weekend pass and bus transportation into Louisville. I checked into the old Brown Hotel, which was packed with trainees, and upon a suggestion from my buddy, picked up a pint of Jim Beam to kick off the weekend. Drinking straight from the bottle, with half gone , headed out into the night. Finished the rest among beers along the way. Easter morning brought a nasty hangover and I didn't drink bourbon after that for over 20 years. Today, it's Woodford, neat in a snifter.
Have you tried Woodford Double Oaked? Good stuff.

Reactions: ewb75
Sorry if this was discussed already, but what is everyone's opinion of Redbreast 12 year?

Santa brought me a bottle for it as I was really excited, thinking it was high end- and I'm really dissapointed. It's harsh and not smooth at all like I was expecting. If I had it blind I would guess it's Jameson regular. Anyone else find the same?
I really enjoy the RB12 and RB12 cask strength. It just doesn’t suit your taste.

Sorry if this was discussed already, but what is everyone's opinion of Redbreast 12 year?

Santa brought me a bottle for it as I was really excited, thinking it was high end- and I'm really dissapointed. It's harsh and not smooth at all like I was expecting. If I had it blind I would guess it's Jameson regular. Anyone else find the same?
It came highly recommended to me several years back so I bought it. I like it for free, or maybe up to $35, but not @ $60-65.

Reactions: cjrugger
I’ve seen Jack Daniel’s single barrel, barrel proof being talked up recently. It is apparently very good, very available, and about $55. Heard it is nothing like the old no.7. Anybody had this one?

I have a bottle, I like it. But then again, I like whiskey and bourbon in general. 🤣

Reactions: diontechristmas
ADVERTISEMENT