ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Looking for something new to try I overheard a salesman at my local VA ABC store chatting with a customer and recommending a new bourbon called 'Legent'. It was at a very reasonable price point ($40.00), so I was curious about the fuss. Turns out the fuss is the bourbon is not only partially aged in wine and sherry casks, but it's the brainchild of Jim Beam Master Distiller Fred Noe (7th Generation) and Suntory Master Blender Shinji Fukuyo (only the fourth person in Suntory history - since 1899 - to earn the title of Master Blender). It's a delight to sip or use for any bourbon cocktail (thinking Manhattan and Old Fashioned here....). The salesman also said it doesn't stay in stock for very long, so he thinks the price will start to rise.

og-image.jpg

It’s blended?

Yes.

One such collaboration which was recently unveiled is Legent, a bourbon crafted by Beam master distiller Fred Noe and Suntory master blender Shinji Fukuyo. The two of them put their heads together to make a whiskey that gets the usual Beam bourbon treatment – high quality grains, Kentucky limestone water and aging in newly charred white oak barrels. Where it goes from here is that it is further aged in “hand-selected” ex-red wine French oak barrels and ex-sherry casks. Much of this is done under the eye of Noe.

Once this bourbon has been deemed ready after the extra aging time, Fukuyo stepped in and blended it with other Kentucky straight bourbon for the final product. It is thus an expression that’s been put together by two true masters of the whisk(e)y trade, each using their respective skill sets as part of the production process for Legent.

Doesn't seem to be available in Pennsylvania, at least according to the state store app.

That stinks. Can you special order products? I'm lucky in that my 'local' ABC store is one of Virginia's 'premiere' stores in that it carries a ton of items not normally found in regular ABC stores. And while DC is great too, the prices there are typically 10-15% higher.

Posted this as a stand alone post and someone suggested I post it here...

I've been wanting to try an extra anejo tequilla since they first hit the market a little while back, but am reluctant to pony up $150 or so as a gamble, without some insight.

Any recommendations? Worth it or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Posted this as a stand alone lost and someone suggested I post it here...

I've been wanting to try an extra anejo tequilla since they first hit the market a little while back, but am reluctant to pony up $150 or so as a gamble, without some insight.

Any recommendations? Worth it or not?

Hopefully someone can help - not a big tequila drinker...

Looking for something new to try I overheard a salesman at my local VA ABC store chatting with a customer and recommending a new bourbon called 'Legent'. It was at a very reasonable price point ($40.00), so I was curious about the fuss. Turns out the fuss is the bourbon is not only partially aged in wine and sherry casks, but it's the brainchild of Jim Beam Master Distiller Fred Noe (7th Generation) and Suntory Master Blender Shinji Fukuyo (only the fourth person in Suntory history - since 1899 - to earn the title of Master Blender). It's a delight to sip or use for any bourbon cocktail (thinking Manhattan and Old Fashioned here....). The salesman also said it doesn't stay in stock for very long, so he thinks the price will start to rise.

og-image.jpg

Looks like it is available at the total wine in Cherry Hill, but not the one in Claymont Delaware.

Reactions: Kmase21
Disclaimer: I drink a fair number of mid-price spirits ($25-$60), but I don’t have a well-honed palate. I find scotches to be easier to assess than bourbons.

So I took one for the team in the past hour. Hey, when you’re between pet stores for your cats’ digestive health products, you owe yourself one.

I picked up a bottle at Binny’s for $34.99, and have about 1.25 oz poured at the moment. It’s soft without a lot of peaks or layers. I think I’m picking up vanilla over any red wine, but it does have a little touch of sherry softness. I don’t do many Japanese brown spirits, but I can imagine it aligning with some of those. A little too much burn on the finish, a property I tolerate a little better up front. Overall, a nice change up in the line up.

For reference I have Russell’s, Angel’s Envy, High West Prairie, Four Roses single, Calumet, Michter’s and Belle Meade in the stable at the moment.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I drink a fair number of mid-price spirits ($25-$60), but I don’t have a well-honed palate. I find scotches to be easier to assess than bourbons.

So I took one for the team in the past hour. Hey, when you’re between pet stores for you cats’ digestive health products, you owe yourself one.

I picked up a bottle at Binny’s for $34.99, and have about 1.25 oz poured at the moment. It’s soft without a lot of peaks or layers. I think I’m picking up vanilla over any red wine, but it does have a little touch of sherry softness. I don’t do many Japanese brown spirits, but I can imagine it aligning with some of those. A little too much burn on the finish, a property I tolerate a little better up front. Overall, a nice change up in the line up.

For reference I have Russell’s, Angel’s Envy, High West Prairie, Four Roses single, Calumet, Michter’s and Belle Meade in the stable at the moment.

I like where this thread is going...

I had the XO cask finished Belle Meade recently - magical...

I actually just tried brandy for the first time a few weeks ago .... Very smooth IMO

Limited quantity at Total Wine in Miami. I'll certainly pick up a bottle to add to my extensive bourbon collection.

For the Rum aficionados, Papa's Pillar Blonde...

I like where this thread is going...

I had the XO cask finished Belle Meade recently - magical...
That’s a new one to me. Maybe Fountainhead has it in Chicago - they have like 600+ whiskeys. The regular Belle Meade is one that’s not fair to spring on somebody that’s not expecting its chewy sweetness. It fills out the spectrum though. Curious whether the cognac can make it through ...

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
That’s a new one to me. Maybe Fountainhead has it in Chicago - they have like 600+ whiskeys. The regular Belle Meade is one that’s not fair to spring on somebody that’s not expecting its chewy sweetness. It fills out the spectrum though. Curious whether the cognac can make it through ...

It’s really, really smooth.

I don’t have a palate but....
It’s soft without a lot of peaks or layers. I think I’m picking up vanilla over any red wine, but it does have a little touch of sherry softness. I don’t do many Japanese brown spirits, but I can imagine it aligning with some of those. A little too much burn on the finish, a property I tolerate a little better up front. Overall, a nice change up in the line up.

Too funny:D

So I took one for the team in the past hour. Hey, when you’re between pet stores for your cats’ digestive health products, you owe yourself one.

Decent stable, although I was very disappointed by Calumet.

I had a fantastic bourbon cocktail this weekend which is rarity as I'm a craft beer guy. Bourbon, Averna Amaro, 2 sweet tea ice cubes made with thyme and hibiscus, garnished with an orange peel. Called "The Red Wedding" and a different take on an Old Fashioned.

I've said it before but if you're coming to visit Charleston, put Edmund's Oast in your plans.

og-image.jpg
Asian market demand killing us with the price increase and empty shelves .

Asian market demand killing us with the price increase and empty shelves .

What do you mean? Lack of Asian whiskies? I do agree there is a lack of Japanese product. Even at the better Virginia stores you'll only really see Nikka and maybe Suntory (and only one of each). Otherwise, there is more whisky/bourbon on shelves than ever IMO.

What do you mean? Lack of Asian whiskies? I do agree there is a lack of Japanese product. Even at the better Virginia stores you'll only really see Nikka and maybe Suntory (and only one of each). Otherwise, there is more whisky/bourbon on shelves than ever IMO.
No they are buying US product and creating scarcity .

og-image.jpg
is it really a bourbon? By law to be called a bourbon, it has to be aged in a single use oak barrel. As this is partially aged in something else, is it really a bourbon or just a whiskey?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/18839/what-makes-whiskey-bourbon-and-other-bourbon-faqs

Reactions: psu1969a
ADVERTISEMENT