ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

Got a bottle of the 8-year as a gift, and it was quite good. I understand the 12-year is hard to come by.

pegleg-porker.jpg
Was eyeballing this at the liquor store today

Posted this as a stand alone post and someone suggested I post it here...

I've been wanting to try an extra anejo tequilla since they first hit the market a little while back, but am reluctant to pony up $150 or so as a gamble, without some insight.

Any recommendations? Worth it or not?
Avion 44....yes it’s worth it. You only live once

I'll have to look for this. I've been on a Weller's run for a few months now. Green label and Antique. It's been readily available every Friday at my local Kroger for a while, so I've taken advantage.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'll have to look for this. I've been on a Weller's run for a few months now. Green label and Antique. It's been readily available every Friday at my local Kroger for a while, so I've taken advantage.
Are you in Ohio? I really like the 107 but it’s never available in PA.

Yes, central Ohio. The Antique is probably only there once every couple months, but green label is every week.
I’d take the green label too if it was handy. I understand the 107 now has an MSRP of $50 up from $25 or so. This stuff was meant to be everyday bourdon with a plastic cap. Maybe it will be reasonable and accessible again someday.

sluggo72 said:
you're right!

sluggo72 said:
its Bourbon

I agree! It doesn’t stop being bourbon because it was finished in another barrel. Just like it doesn’t stop being bourbon when it’s poured over ice. “Bourbon finished in xxxx barrels” or “bourbon on the rocks” are both still bourbon.

rudedude said:

Thank you! If you follow those rules it is bourbon, there is no restriction on finishing in other barrels.

I agree! It doesn’t stop being bourbon because it was finished in another barrel. Just like it doesn’t stop being bourbon when it’s poured over ice. “Bourbon finished in xxxx barrels” or “bourbon on the rocks” are both still bourbon.

Thank you! If you follow those rules it is bourbon, there is no restriction on finishing in other barrels.
rry. The resulting spirit can no longer be solely designated as “bourbon” due to this secondary aging; common terms one might see on labels include “bourbon finished in,” “cask finished,” or “double-wood finished.”
Note the word ‘solely’ and the use of modifiers
https://gardenandgun.com/articles/bourbon-cask-finished/

Just drink what you like obviously and some of the best stuff out there is outside of the legal realm of bourbon.

Bourbon was actually the first food or drug product regulated by the federal govt, and it has higher standards than any other whiskey in the world to qualify (that I am aware). Even scotch is allowed to have color additives which is forbidden by bourbon. These legal definitions are what makes even cheap bourbon pretty darn good when compared to cheap expressions of other styles.

Lol, and I thought the rule was simply that it had to be made in Bourbon County, Kentucky.

What about Jack Daniels’? Is it bourbon?

I rarely drink anything but beer now but I poured a couple glasses of Woodford Reserve the other night to toast Enzo’s memory.
Jack daniels is not bourbon. It is flavored with vanilla.

I don’t believe standard Jack has vanilla additives. The additional charcoal filtering they do does remove tannins and most likely highlights or adds to the sweet and vanilla flavors present.

sluggo72 said:
rry. The resulting spirit can no longer be solely designated as “bourbon” due to this secondary aging; common terms one might see on labels include “bourbon finished in,” “cask finished,” or “double-wood finished.”
Note the word ‘solely’ and the use of modifiers
https://gardenandgun.com/articles/bourbon-cask-finished/

You do realize that you are using the exact same wording as I did in post #90, and that doesn't help your case. It doesn’t stop being bourbon because it was finished in another barrel. Just like it doesn’t stop being bourbon when it’s served over ice. “Bourbon finished in xxxx barrels” or “bourbon on the rocks” are both still bourbon.

"solely designated"... there is the attempt to move the goal posts. Legent is not solely designated as bourbon. The bottle says "Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, partially finished in wine + sherry casks". I have no idea why you have a problem with that, because it's bourbon... partially finished in wine + sherry casks.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I don’t believe standard Jack has vanilla additives. The additional charcoal filtering they do does remove tannins and most likely highlights or adds to the sweet and vanilla flavors present.

Yea of little faith and knowledge.

Yea of little faith and knowledge.
Please cite your evidence then. There is no support to your statement that Jack adds artificial vanilla flavoring to their whiskey. In fact your statements on this thread indicate that you have little knowledge of whiskey.

Last edited:
Looking for something new to try I overheard a salesman at my local VA ABC store chatting with a customer and recommending a new bourbon called 'Legent'. It was at a very reasonable price point ($40.00), so I was curious about the fuss. Turns out the fuss is the bourbon is not only partially aged in wine and sherry casks, but it's the brainchild of Jim Beam Master Distiller Fred Noe (7th Generation) and Suntory Master Blender Shinji Fukuyo (only the fourth person in Suntory history - since 1899 - to earn the title of Master Blender). It's a delight to sip or use for any bourbon cocktail (thinking Manhattan and Old Fashioned here....). The salesman also said it doesn't stay in stock for very long, so he thinks the price will start to rise.

og-image.jpg
After reading this I stopped by my local ABC store to see if they had any in stock. The first one I tried didn't have any but the second had three bottles, so I picked up two. I'll report back after I try it this weekend.

Looking for something new to try I overheard a salesman at my local VA ABC store chatting with a customer and recommending a new bourbon called 'Legent'. It was at a very reasonable price point ($40.00), so I was curious about the fuss. Turns out the fuss is the bourbon is not only partially aged in wine and sherry casks, but it's the brainchild of Jim Beam Master Distiller Fred Noe (7th Generation) and Suntory Master Blender Shinji Fukuyo (only the fourth person in Suntory history - since 1899 - to earn the title of Master Blender). It's a delight to sip or use for any bourbon cocktail (thinking Manhattan and Old Fashioned here....). The salesman also said it doesn't stay in stock for very long, so he thinks the price will start to rise.

og-image.jpg
Just a random link to add to this thread.https://vinepair.com/articles/japan-created-american-bourbon-market/

Please cite your evidence then. There is no support to your statement that Jack adds artificial vanilla flavoring to their whiskey. In fact your statements on this thread indicate that you have little knowledge of whiskey.

By bad, I was told there is a hint of vanilla added.

The reason it is not called a bourbon is the additional step that Jack Daniels take when making their whiskey. Before the distillate is placed into barrels for ageing, it is slowly filtered through 10 feet of sugar maple charcoal.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc.......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0.zNEJF7niBBM

you're right! its a blend!! Which is not bourbon! (the final product is not a bourbon)
This is right. I’m late to the game but I’ve been loving breckenridge’s port cask finish whiskey, which is clear it starts with their bourbon and ends as whiskey (at least in technical category). But the issue here is t what it’s called, it’s how it’s categorized. I believe Bourbon with whatever finish can be described as what it is. The disclosure re finish seems like marketing (and is) but it’s also legally significant.

The regs, or what folks consider the regs, are sometimes too loosely followed, enforced, interpreted, etc. And for those very interested, the specifics can be fun. For most others, seems more like listening to sports commentators during instant replay review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bourbon does not need to be made in Kentucky.

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US

Must have a mashbill of at least 51% corn

Must be aged in new oak barrels and there are restrictions in place on the alcohol content off the still, into the barrel and into the bottle. It must be aged for 2 years years to be labeled straight bourbon.

Jack meets the requirements to be labeled a bourbon, although they choose not to market the product in this manner. While now it’s own style “Tennessee Whiskey” is mainly a marketing concept. Jack would be a bourbon if they wish to have it verified as such. However, since the company does not identify its product as a bourbon it is technically not.
I have enough trouble keeping up with how human beings currently "identify" themselves --- and now bourbon too :)

This is right. I’m late to the game but I’ve been loving breckenridge’s port cask finish whiskey, which is clear it starts with their bourbon and ends as whiskey (at least in technical category). But the issue here is t what it’s called, it’s how it’s categorized. I believe Bourbon with whatever finish can be described as what it is. The disclosure re finish seems like marketing (and is) but it’s also legally significant.

The regs, or what folks consider the regs, are sometimes too loosely followed, enforced, interpreted, etc. And for those very interested, the specifics can be fun. For most others, seems more like listening to sports commentators during instant replay review.

It's also a tangential point, which by itself is not relevant to the discussion, as he slowly attempted to move the goal posts throughout the thread. He had a problem with them calling it "Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, partially finished in wine + sherry casks". I have no idea why, because it's bourbon... partially finished in wine + sherry casks. He even suggested that "someone call them on this or a clarification on this." Your text in bold agrees that it's fine for it to be marketed as it is, and on this we agree.

Common sense would tell you that the likely scenario is that Legent had the right people looking at the designation so they wouldn't have to recall and re-brand their product, rather than they (knowingly or unknowingly) called it the wrong thing and some keyboard semantics warrior on BWI discovered their mistake.

I think Mad Men created the contemporary American bourbon market, though the article is interesting.

EDIT: In addition to Mad Men, the 'foodie' scene that sort of began with shows like Top Chef, articles about David Chang in Esquire, shows about drinking culture like 'Three Sheets', and hipster culture that began to gravitate towards any and all things 'craft', all contributed. Mad Men didn't get massive ratings, but it was extremely influential, mostly because the people who *did* watch were the kind to buy things like expensive bourbon and eat at expensive restaurants where they don't care about your allergies or preferences. This led to speakeasy culture and more craft spirits/cocktails. Mad Men debuted in 2007 and ran until 2015. Bourbon/whiskey sales in the U.S. grew nearly 40% from 2009 to 2017. Not a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Mad Men created the contemporary American bourbon market, though the article is interesting.
Maybe. Certainly didn’t hurt.

Bourbon whiskey is also a very American thing and it’s turn en Vogue was sure to come. Heck, gin, grappa, tequila, craft beer.... kaboom!

Not sure if it’s being mentioned much but going back to Jack Daniel’s, anybody’s notice all the premium stuff they’ve been putting out? I bought up a s-ton of it, from small batch to barrel proof to (yes, this was a STUPID PURCHASE) their Sinatra select (or whatever.). The stuff is great and the bottles are super-cool but its not nearly as interesting to real bourbon drinkers as most of the bourbons we’ve discussed. So I’d describe the pricing as “inflated.” Especially the Sinatra, which I’m slightly embarrassed to admit I purchased.

As an aside, I think it’s funny that two of my favorite normal drinkers aren’t even from KY. One is Kings County (Brooklyn) and the other is the Burning Chair by savage and cooke (CA). If anyone hasn’t tried either, I’d encourage it.

Maybe. Certainly didn’t hurt.

Bourbon whiskey is also a very American thing and it’s turn en Vogue was sure to come. Heck, gin, grappa, tequila, craft beer.... kaboom!

Not sure if it’s being mentioned much but going back to Jack Daniel’s, anybody’s notice all the premium stuff they’ve been putting out? I bought up a s-ton of it, from small batch to barrel proof to (yes, this was a STUPID PURCHASE) their Sinatra select (or whatever.). The stuff is great and the bottles are super-cool but its not nearly as interesting to real bourbon drinkers as most of the bourbons we’ve discussed. So I’d describe the pricing as “inflated.”

As an aside, I think it’s funny that two of my favorite normal drinkers aren’t even from KY. One is Kings County (Brooklyn) and the other is the Burning Chair by savage and cooke (CA). If anyone hasn’t tried either, I’d encourage it.

I updated my post with the boom in bourbon/whiskey sales nearly paralleling Mad Men's run. Once Don ordered an Old Fashioned everyone wanted one. Like Miles in 'Sideways' with Pinot Noir.

I had the JD Sinatra edition in a Manhattan on a Disney Cruise - I thought it was very good.

I updated my post with the boom in bourbon/whiskey sales nearly paralleling Mad Men's run. Once Don ordered an Old Fashioned everyone wanted one. Like Miles in 'Sideways' with Pinot Noir.

I had the JD Sinatra edition in a Manhattan on a Disney Cruise - I thought it was very good.
Don and crew were drinking Canadian Club (typically) on the show. A blended and light bodied whiskey that was highly appropriate for men of the era to be drinking as it was all the rage at the time.

Ah yes, my similarly situated PSU-grad and father to young daughter who likes being spoiled at the Bippity Boppity Boutique! I nearly forgot about that.

I’d expect it was a great Manhattan. Could you tell the difference between the Sinatra and most other smooth bourbons in that Manhattan? Heck, now that I think of it, I’ve never even had normal jack in a Manhattan, or old fashioned.

and yes, I also noticed a lot of people ordering old fashioned(s) and discussing Mad Men. Was definitely a show the connectors and influencers were into.

EDIT: same with the pinot noirs in fancy steak houses after sideways. That movie was murder for the Cab and Merlot producers.

Don and crew were drinking Canadian Club (typically) on the show. A blended and light bodied whiskey that was highly appropriate for men of the era to be drinking as it was all the rage at the time.

In the office - yeah. Roger was a vodka guy. But when he went out, Don drank OFs.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Legent whiskey is mostly Beam 4 yo bourbon followed next by the wine casked bourbon with the least amount of sherry casked bourbon. Also if you look at the front of the bottle there is a large black L and in the lower right portion is Fukuyo’s profile and upper left is Fred Noe’s profile. Cool design for the bottle.

Bourbon__81683.1553384726.jpg

Picked up a bottle of the Legent today. Just sat down with a glass. Not really a fan ... oh well. Worth the try but i just don’t love bourbon

Picked up a bottle of the Legent today. Just sat down with a glass. Not really a fan ... oh well. Worth the try but i just don’t love bourbon

Thanks for sharing; it's at a price point where if you don't like it, you aren't kicking yourself over it. At worst, you have a decent base for mixing. What do you typically like?

Reactions: LionJim
Thanks for sharing; it's at a price point where if you don't like it, you aren't kicking yourself over it. At worst, you have a decent base for mixing. What do you typically like?

yeah. I got it for $35 at Total Wine in Cherry Hill, NJ (my store in Claymont didn’t have it). I’ll definitely finish the bottle.

i used to really like scotch. Glen Livet was probably my favorite but could easily drink even the likes JW Red. Then I started drinking tequila and it changed my appreciation on scotch. Don’t love it anymore but can still drink it.

So I like tequila (Blanco, anejo or reposado are all good). Really like Crown Royal Black. And just started drinking brandy as well & I like that a lot.

as for bourbon ... I’ve now tried Legent, Woodsford, Knob Creek... just doesn’t do it for me

Regarding the Legent... I like the initial taste but am not a fan of the finish

ADVERTISEMENT