ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

No they are buying US product and creating scarcity .

Guess I'm not seeing it in Virginia. Outside of the super premium stuff (mainly Van Winkle), everything else is there and at the same prices they were a decade ago.

Calumet was a gift from my team when I was laid up with a leg injury a year ago. It’s still 1/2 full.
A very nice gift. Cool looking bottle. I bought two, expecting to give one as a gift.

Bottle says 'One Truly Unique Bourbon' - you can take it up with Mr. Noe I guess.

If you've seen the 2015 documentary Burbontucky (guessing you have), Mr. Noe doesn't come across as a rigid man for an older guy. Just seems happy that people are so interested in bourbon and whiskey in general and very open to innovation and collaboration.

If you've seen the 2015 documentary Burbontucky (guessing you have), Mr. Noe doesn't come across as a rigid man for an older guy. Just seems happy that people are so interested in bourbon and whiskey in general and very open to innovation and collaboration.
you know that's great, but there are standards to call something a bourbon, including aging in a single use oak barrel, which this is clearly not. So I think it will be interesting to see if someone calls them on the carpet for this. I have no problem with what they have done, just call it what it is, whiskey.

Guess I'm not seeing it in Virginia. Outside of the super premium stuff (mainly Van Winkle), everything else is there and at the same prices they were a decade ago.
certain mid-level stuff is getting scarce as well (things like Blanton's), but I think it is more US consumers than Asian
If I can find it I am going to grab a couple bottles of that Legent for future gifts to bourbon loving friends

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
certain mid-level stuff is getting scarce as well (things like Blanton's), but I think it is more US consumers than Asian
If I can find it I am going to grab a couple bottles of that Legent for future gifts to bourbon loving friends

The one bourbon I can't find anymore in VA ABC stores is Elmer T. Lee. I can get it in DC though.

The one bourbon I can't find anymore in VA ABC stores is Elmer T. Lee. I can get it in DC though.
Elmer T Lee was put on for the 100 yr anniversary bottle online sale by Pa state stores. Got an email & immediately went online & when I clicked on to buy 2 Elmers for $100/ea. it said sold out. How the hell do you get an email and go on to buy it and it’s already sold out. I guess all the licensees got first dibs. Elmer’s face should be on a milk carton. The liquor store in Binghamton had one for sale last year for about $400!!! Elmer T Lee was often imbibed on the show Justified.

is it really a bourbon? By law to be called a bourbon, it has to be aged in a single use oak barrel. As this is partially aged in something else, is it really a bourbon or just a whiskey?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/18839/what-makes-whiskey-bourbon-and-other-bourbon-faqs
Lol, and I thought the rule was simply that it had to be made in Bourbon County, Kentucky.

What about Jack Daniels’? Is it bourbon?

I rarely drink anything but beer now but I poured a couple glasses of Woodford Reserve the other night to toast Enzo’s memory.

Elmer T Lee was put on for the 100 yr anniversary bottle online sale by Pa state stores. Got an email & immediately went online & when I clicked on to buy 2 Elmers for $100/ea. it said sold out. How the hell do you get an email and go on to buy it and it’s already sold out. I guess all the licensees got first dibs. Elmer’s face should be on a milk carton. The liquor store in Binghamton had one for sale last year for about $400!!! Elmer T Lee was often imbibed on the show Justified.

Yes!! I believe that was Boyd's 'go to' when he had the chance. I recall Blanton's being featured as well. Of course, one character called Pappy Van Winkle 'Piper Van Winkle' in an episode too...(on purpose, but still...). Great bourbon show :).

Edit: Found an old article about bourbon and it's role in Justified. Pretty cool - nothing is an accident....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-everything-there-is-to-know-about-justified/

SniGCW9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for something new to try I overheard a salesman at my local VA ABC store chatting with a customer and recommending a new bourbon called 'Legent'. It was at a very reasonable price point ($40.00), so I was curious about the fuss. Turns out the fuss is the bourbon is not only partially aged in wine and sherry casks, but it's the brainchild of Jim Beam Master Distiller Fred Noe (7th Generation) and Suntory Master Blender Shinji Fukuyo (only the fourth person in Suntory history - since 1899 - to earn the title of Master Blender). It's a delight to sip or use for any bourbon cocktail (thinking Manhattan and Old Fashioned here....). The salesman also said it doesn't stay in stock for very long, so he thinks the price will start to rise.

og-image.jpg
Just picked up two bottles of this in Binghamton and will bring it back across the border. $34.99/per

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Lol, and I thought the rule was simply that it had to be made in Bourbon County, Kentucky.

I rarely drink anything but beer now but I poured a couple glasses of Woodford Reserve the other night to toast Enzo’s memory.

I believe JD is a 'Tennessee' style whiskey. Daniels was Welsh, so it sort of resembles the stuff they made there. You can find Penderyn in/around DC and VA (the only Welsh whiskey I've seen in stores).

Reactions: flash86
you know that's great, but there are standards to call something a bourbon, including aging in a single use oak barrel, which this is clearly not. So I think it will be interesting to see if someone calls them on the carpet for this. I have no problem with what they have done, just call it what it is, whiskey.

Please quote in your link the exact text that says to call something a bourbon it must aged in a “single use oak barrel”, and also that it can not be finished in a different barrel.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Bourbon does not need to be made in Kentucky.

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US

Must have a mashbill of at least 51% corn

Must be aged in new oak barrels and there are restrictions in place on the alcohol content off the still, into the barrel and into the bottle. It must be aged for 2 years years to be labeled straight bourbon.

Jack meets the requirements to be labeled a bourbon, although they choose not to market the product in this manner. While now it’s own style “Tennessee Whiskey” is mainly a marketing concept. Jack would be a bourbon if they wish to have it verified as such. However, since the company does not identify its product as a bourbon it is technically not.

Please quote in your link the exact text that says to call something a bourbon it must aged in a “single use oak barrel”, and also that it can not be finished in a different barrel.
he Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isn't bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.) The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. (Most often these barrels are white oak, but they can be any variety of oak.)
How could a barrel with wine it be considered new?

Reactions: PSUHarry33
he Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isn't bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.) The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. (Most often these barrels are white oak, but they can be any variety of oak.)
How could a barrel with wine it considered new?

It's a 'bourbon' before it's finished in wine and sherry casks. So, it's a bourbon, finished, then blended with other bourbons. I know Angel's Envy is finished in port casks, and they call themselves bourbon.

Reactions: pandaczar12
It's a 'bourbon' before it's finished in wine and sherry casks. So, it's a bourbon, finished, then blended with other bourbons. I know Angel's Envy is finished in port casks, and they call themselves bourbon.
not according to your article,its 'partially aged in wine and sherry casks'. to be a bourbon it must be aged in a single use oak barrel, not aged for a while in one and transferred to another. No big deal, it will be interesting to either have someone call them on this or a clarification on this. There is no doubt its a whiskey, but I dont see how it can be called a bourbon.

not according to your article,its 'partially aged in wine and sherry casks'. to be a bourbon it must be aged in a single use oak barrel, not aged for a while in one and transferred to another. No big deal, it will be interesting to either have someone call them on this or a clarification on this. There is no doubt its a whiskey, but I dont see how it can be called a bourbon.

What? This is directly from the article:

The two of them put their heads together to make a whiskey that gets the usual Beam bourbon treatment – high quality grains, Kentucky limestone water and aging in newly charred white oak barrels. Where it goes from here is that it is further aged in “hand-selected” ex-red wine French oak barrels and ex-sherry casks. Much of this is done under the eye of Noe.

Reactions: pandaczar12
it is aged 4 years in white oak, then it goes to wine/sherry

Does the triple filtering remove it from “bourbon”?

Bourbon does not need to be made in Kentucky.

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US

Must have a mashbill of at least 51% corn

Must be aged in new oak barrels and there are restrictions in place on the alcohol content off the still, into the barrel and into the bottle. It must be aged for 2 years years to be labeled straight bourbon.

Jack meets the requirements to be labeled a bourbon, although they choose not to market the product in this manner. While now it’s own style “Tennessee Whiskey” is mainly a marketing concept. Jack would be a bourbon if they wish to have it verified as such. However, since the company does not identify its product as a bourbon it is technically not.

Does the triple filtering remove it from “bourbon”?

I guess if you're a purist it's not technically a bourbon once it's finished in different barrels and then blended (which to me is the bigger dis-qualifier). It doesn't matter to me, but maybe for competition and stuff, they care.

What? This is directly from the article:

The two of them put their heads together to make a whiskey that gets the usual Beam bourbon treatment – high quality grains, Kentucky limestone water and aging in newly charred white oak barrels. Where it goes from here is that it is further aged in “hand-selected” ex-red wine French oak barrels and ex-sherry casks. Much of this is done under the eye of Noe.
https://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whiskey/legent-bourbon-whiskey-review/

Which, as we know from the TTB Standards of Identity, it’s not either one of those. The use of ex-Wine and ex-Sherry casks change it into a whiskey specialty; bourbon can only touch new charred oak.

because it’s not a bourbon – it’s just a whiskey. To comply with the regulations they did state that it’s a “Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Partially Finished In Wine and Sherry Casks” on the bottle, it’s the marketing that’s a bit… off.

https://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whiskey/legent-bourbon-whiskey-review/

Which, as we know from the TTB Standards of Identity, it’s not either one of those. The use of ex-Wine and ex-Sherry casks change it into a whiskey specialty; bourbon can only touch new charred oak.

because it’s not a bourbon – it’s just a whiskey. To comply with the regulations they did state that it’s a “Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Partially Finished In Wine and Sherry Casks” on the bottle, it’s the marketing that’s a bit… off.

I imagine that Beam Suntory generated enough billable hours to make sure it had its bases covered.

Will be drinking it in the fancy Norlan glasses for full effect. The glasses are made to release all the scents and flavors in the whiskey. MaconNitt, however, will be using a jelly glass! :eek:o_O

I'll be lucky to get a 10cc syringe in that jelly glass

https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_amount_of_10cc

it is better than last time when all I got was to do was sniff the cork :( #Dreadlock Holiday

Reactions: rudedude
sluggo72 said:
explain how it complies with regulations, TIA

Uh... you serious?

See your post #68, specifically the part that starts To comply with the regulations”.

If you have some evidence they are not in compliance, let’s have a look at it.

Uh... you serious?

See your post #68, specifically the part that starts To comply with the regulations”.

If you have some evidence they are not in compliance, let’s have a look at it.
LOL 2 different regulations!! they are saying its Bourbon mixed with whiskey which they have to disclose by regulation. the final product is not a bourbon!! its a blended whiskey as it says in the blog. (On a technical level it’s a class 641 (whiskey specialty)).

Legent (Lee-Jent) first impression: What a complex sip. Nose is very fruity, probably from the sherry barreling. Spicy, peppery, but mellow and does not finish “hot” even though it’s 94 proof. Not to be used for the shot clock for sure. Interesting cocktail suggestion on the website too: Kentucky Kyushiki
https://www.legentbourbon.com/cocktails/kentucky-kyushiki

well worth the $35 price. Buy it up because I think this whiskey will take off!

LOL 2 different regulations!! they are saying its Bourbon mixed with whiskey which they have to disclose by regulation. the final product is not a bourbon!! its a blended whiskey as it says in the blog. (On a technical level it’s a class 641 (whiskey specialty)).

LOL... case closed!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT