ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

I have a question about cognac. I enjoy sipping bourbon or Irish whisky but never got into cognacs. I’ve noticed a huge price differential between them and am looking for advice on a good beginner brand. How would you describe its taste? Also, do you sip it straight like brandy, or add ice or any other accompaniment? Thanks

Reactions: BrucePa
I have a question about cognac. I enjoy sipping bourbon or Irish whisky but never got into cognacs. I’ve noticed a huge price differential between them and am looking for advice on a good beginner brand. How would you describe its taste? Also, do you sip it straight like brandy, or add ice or any other accompaniment? Thanks
Cognac is always sipped neat. Get a snifter and cup it in your palm. The heat from your hand is enough to open it up.

Brandy is distilled wine. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of France, and Armagnac is brandy from the Armagnac region of France. Armagnac has some apple flavor, and I love it.

Good entry-level Cognac is VS (or very special) Hennessy or Courvoissier. Next step up is VSOP, or very superior old pale. Top of the heap is XO, or extra old. The designations are about the length of storage before bottling.

Remy Martin and Martell are also quite good. You have to taste your way through these in order to gauge your tastes.

I'll take a good Cognac or Armagnac over a good bourbon or scotch any day.

Cognac is always sipped neat. Get a snifter and cup it in your palm. The heat from your hand is enough to open it up.

Brandy is distilled wine. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of France, and Armagnac is brandy from the Armagnac region of France. Armagnac has some apple flavor, and I love it.

Good entry-level Cognac is VS (or very special) Hennessy or Courvoissier. Next step up is VSOP, or very superior old pale. Top of the heap is XO, or extra old. The designations are about the length of storage before bottling.

Remy Martin and Martell are also quite good. You have to taste your way through these in order to gauge your tastes.

Here is a good ~ $35 Bas Armagnac (my local price): Marie Duffau Napoleon

And an unbeatable $50 bottle: Marie Duffau Hors d’Age

Last edited:
My FIL drinks Christian Brothers Brandy…. Says he’s supporting the church!

Reactions: Midnighter2
Anyone try Basil Hayden’s Dark Rye? I prefer manhattans to straight whisky and thought the touch of port would add similar sweetness. Is this any good?

Anyone try Basil Hayden’s Dark Rye? I prefer manhattans to straight whisky and thought the touch of port would add similar sweetness. Is this any good?
I’ve had a few bottles. It’s a thumbs up at around $33-35. Little softer and sweeter - makes a Manhattan a little more to my sig other’s liking.

You can make cocktails out of it if you want (Sidecar, Vieux Carre), but agree neat is best. Definitely a better sipper than whisky IMO and there is a lot out there to try. Hennessy XO is maybe the best ‘taste’ of anything I’ve ever tried - ever.

Anyone drink French 75’s? A coworker basically doesn’t drink, but not for religious or health reasons. He orders one when at work related social events. Says it is better than people asking why he doesn’t drink. He actually has had people say that they drink them now, because of him.

Anyone drink French 75’s? A coworker basically doesn’t drink, but not for religious or health reasons. He orders one when at work related social events. Says it is better than people asking why he doesn’t drink. He actually has had people say that they drink them now, because of him.

Sure - super classic champagne cocktail. It’s punched up a bit because of the gin, but - still a girly drink ;).

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Looking for something new to try I overheard a salesman at my local VA ABC store chatting with a customer and recommending a new bourbon called 'Legent'. It was at a very reasonable price point ($40.00), so I was curious about the fuss. Turns out the fuss is the bourbon is not only partially aged in wine and sherry casks, but it's the brainchild of Jim Beam Master Distiller Fred Noe (7th Generation) and Suntory Master Blender Shinji Fukuyo (only the fourth person in Suntory history - since 1899 - to earn the title of Master Blender). It's a delight to sip or use for any bourbon cocktail (thinking Manhattan and Old Fashioned here....). The salesman also said it doesn't stay in stock for very long, so he thinks the price will start to rise.

og-image.jpg
I have had this bourbon and is now my favorite. You can get it at Total Wine if you have one near you. May I also recommend Laguvulin 16 Scotch and Red Breast 25 Irish Whiskey. Great stuff.

Reactions: Midnighter2
If you're open to spending about $60, try this one from Hine.....
A little tricky to locate at times, but my favorite.

I have always thought of Cognacs, Brandy, etc as desert drinks because they are sweet to the taste. Include Port in the lists.
I prefer Rye, and Corn taste. Do love Scotch which has malt in it but enjoy more a Smokey, rich, complex grain taste.

A friend is coming to visit and likes Chardonnay, I have no clue what to buy ? Help please.
If you can, pick up a bottle of Sanford Chardonnay from the Santa Barbara area in the Santa Rita Hills. It’s priced around $30 depending on the vintage and is excellent. Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Sanford Chardonnay review- Smoked hazelnut and rich oak aromas are cut by whiffs of lemon rind, citrus spray, chalk Asian pear on the nose of this appellation bandlend. The palate offers both sharp citrus and rounded apple flavors.

William Hill is another nice wine for about half that price. William Hill's Chardonnay glows in a glass of straw yellow and exudes the delicious aromas of green apple and peach. These notes combine with fresh citrus fruits and tropical flavours. This white wine from California is wonderfully structured and soft on the palate. The fresh and crisp acidity inspires just as much as the soft and creamy mouthfeel

Last edited:
If you can, pick up a bottle of Sanford Chardonnay from the Santa Barbara area in the Santa Rita Hills. It’s priced around $30 depending on the vintage and is excellent. Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Sanford Chardonnay review- Smoked hazelnut and rich oak aromas are cut by whiffs of lemon rind, citrus spray, chalk Asian pear on the nose of this appellation bandlend. The palate offers both sharp citrus and rounded apple flavors.

William Hill is another nice wine for about half that price. William Hill's Chardonnay glows in a glass of straw yellow and exudes the delicious aromas of green apple and peach. These notes combine with fresh citrus fruits and tropical flavours. This white wine from California is wonderfully structured and soft on the palate. The fresh and crisp acidity inspires just as much as the soft and creamy mouthfeel
Rizzo Bros Vineyards unites swift papaya essences and a titillating cannabis aroma in their 2009 Sauvignon Blanc.
Wine Review Generator

I agree with Kendall Jackson. Can't go wrong with Simi, Jordan, or some of the French Chablis on the higher end.

I drink a few bottles of Buttercream each week.

Might be good to know if he’s more into new or old world Chardonnay’s. Your recs are on point though.

Reactions: BrucePa
On the Kendall Jackson chard: go in for the extra $5 and get the Grand Reserve, particularly if you/they prefer the butteriness from malolactic fermentation. Some harder core chard drinkers will turn their nose up at it. Others love it.

Attended a tequila and tacos night last night. Picked up a bottle of Patron Extra Anejo. Aged in bourbon barrels -Makers Mark I think.

Pretty good stuff but I am not a tequila expert. So if anyone has any thoughts on it would appreciate.

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT