ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker (gin, vodka, tequila, rum and scotch whisky are my preferred boozes), but I just received a gift of a bottle of bourbon from a client, so I thought I would ask the AKB about it.

It's a 750 ml bottle of "Barrell Craft Spirits Bourbon." The label indicates that it was aged 15 years. Fifteen years is a decent but not extraordinary length of time for a scotch whisky to age. I have no idea whether aging times for bourbon are comparable. The label also lists the bottle number, as if to indicate it was part of a particular lot. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Anyone familiar with this particular bourbon? Should it be used for sipping, mixed drinks, or what?
Chuggin'

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker (gin, vodka, tequila, rum and scotch whisky are my preferred boozes), but I just received a gift of a bottle of bourbon from a client, so I thought I would ask the AKB about it.

It's a 750 ml bottle of "Barrell Craft Spirits Bourbon." The label indicates that it was aged 15 years. Fifteen years is a decent but not extraordinary length of time for a scotch whisky to age. I have no idea whether aging times for bourbon are comparable. The label also lists the bottle number, as if to indicate it was part of a particular lot. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Anyone familiar with this particular bourbon? Should it be used for sipping, mixed drinks, or what?
https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/barrell-bourbon-batch-024

My understanding of the aging differences between bourbon and scotch has to do with the fact that bourbon is aged in new oak barrels whereas scotch is usually aged in previously used barrels. Previously used barrels have had some of the tannins or whatever chemicals are in the wood already extracted by the liquor (frequently bourbon) that was already aged in it. Bourbon aged for too long can get oakey since it is the first thing in the barrel.

My understanding of the aging differences between bourbon and scotch has to do with the fact that bourbon is aged in new oak barrels whereas scotch is usually aged in previously used barrels. Previously used barrels have had some of the tannins or whatever chemicals are in the wood already extracted by the liquor (frequently bourbon) that was already aged in it. Bourbon aged for too long can get oakey since it is the first thing in the barrel.
Yes, most experts will tell you that bourbon is at it’s peak somewhere between 8-12 years. There is very little 15 plus year bourbon available on the market for a variety of reasons, and one being that it’s not necessarily better. The oak takes over at that point and can be considered harsh for many.

Reactions: wplion
Has anyone tried Horse Soldier Bourbon?! If so, thoughts. I'm not a bourbon expert but I tried this one and found it smooth This is a link to their web site - interesting story line:

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnighter2
Finally took a shot at Legent.

legent_720x.jpg

That is a great bourbon IMO. I won't be surprised if it becomes difficult to find in stores soon enough.

I guess I don't read the internets enough, but I just found out about "infinity bottles" today. How did I not know about this?

I immediately ordered two decanters that I'm going to use to start scotch and bourbon bottles with. I've got the last few ounces of that Legent and a Wellers to get the bourbon one started. Really like the idea of tracking what's in it and passing it down.

Reactions: 219

legent_720x.jpg

That is a great bourbon IMO. I won't be surprised if it becomes difficult to find in stores soon enough.

The pricing has already gone up $5.00 a bottle since I started this thread (in NoVA).

I guess I don't read the internets enough, but I just found out about "infinity bottles" today. How did I not know about this?

I immediately ordered two decanters that I'm going to use to start scotch and bourbon bottles with. I've got the last few ounces of that Legent and a Wellers to get the bourbon one started. Really like the idea of tracking what's in it and passing it down.

NEAT. Doing this.

Got a bottle of each of these. Brandywine Branch Distillery, Elverson, Pa. Chester County, Pa. Shipping free. Bourbon is a nice sipper as is the rye. Will try both in an Old Fashioned. Reasonable prices also and available in some fine Wine and Good Spirits stores in Pa
ResurgentBourbonCustomCask750ml_600x600_crop_center.jpg

13631219073054.png

BARRELL CRAFT SPIRITS BOURBON 15 YEAR
  • DISTILLER: Produced by Barrell Craft Spirits
  • MASH BILL: A blend of straight bourbon whiskeys from Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee
  • YEAR: 2018
  • PROOF: 105.1 (52.55% ABV)
  • MSRP: $220
  • BUY ONLINE: Wine-Searcher.com
  • I believe this Bourbon has won some awards and at that price and age should be very good. Drink it neat - it’s not a mixer.

BARRELL CRAFT SPIRITS BOURBON 15 YEAR
  • DISTILLER: Produced by Barrell Craft Spirits
  • MASH BILL: A blend of straight bourbon whiskeys from Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee
  • YEAR: 2018
  • PROOF: 105.1 (52.55% ABV)
  • MSRP: $220
  • BUY ONLINE: Wine-Searcher.com
  • I believe this Bourbon has won some awards and at that price and age should be very good. Drink it neat - it’s not a mixer.
At $220, you should expect a great finish. No, let me reword that. For $220 one should demand a happy ending.

I would say so.
This is also a very expensive bourbon and part of a Buffalo Trace limited edition. It retails for $99 but due to its scarcity sells for several hundred on the secondary market. I’ve never tried it nor would I pay that much for any booze but I imagine it’s very good. Buffalo Trace, Blantons, and Bulleit are my “go tos”.

legent_720x.jpg

I usually drink Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, or Elijah Craig, but I picked up a bottle based on the recommendations on this board and just cracked it open. I’m impressed. It’s very sippable neat at 94 proof, a bit on the light and fruity side. You can taste the oak and the sherry cask influence in the finish. It goes down very easily. I think I paid $35 for the bottle from a large Jersey liquor store chain.

Speaking of which, we've got over a year to determine what will be the shot of choice... That Glen Scotia is Golden, so there is that... ;-)

BTW I think you get a plot of land if you by Lagavulin. We had a Lagavulin 10 at the house and my Wife gave it away. I think she was trying to tell me something. lol

Reactions: rudedude
Not sure if I mentioned this but I picked up two bottles of Blanton’s about a month ago.

Had ordered one and when I went to pick up they said another person cancelled their order. So I bought that one.

That’s nice

I think it’s been 4 years since I saw a bottle on the shelf.

I have a bottle of Weller 12 I found on the cape I’m going to break open with my whisky buddies post-COVID. A screwcap whiskey that sells for 250 a bottle. — yikes.

Reactions: psuro and wbcincy
The Pimm’s Cup cocktail has become my summer drink of choice, so I thought I would pass this on before the July 4th weekend. I’ll be enjoying one tonight on my shore deck before throwing some swordfish on the grill. Just mix fresh lemon juice with Pimm’s liquor, top off with Ginger Ale, and garnish with a long slice of cucumber, and perhaps some strawberries and mint. It’s very refreshing. Cheers

Last edited:
The Pimm’s Cup cocktail has become my summer drink of choice, so I thought I would pass this on before the July 4th weekend. I’ll be enjoying one tonight on my shore deck before throwing some swordfish on the grill. Just mix fresh lemon juice with Pimm’s liquor, top off with Ginger Ale, and garnish with a long slice of cucumber. Cheers
I've never had Pimm's but it sounds good.

If you like gin and tonic do not use store bought tonic water. Instead, order some Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup. Put your regular amount of gin & one shot of tonic syrup and then club soda or soda you make at home with your fancy soda water machines Add a twist of lime and your taste buds will thank you. Alton Brown recommended this as most tonic water doesn’t even have quinine anymore and is loaded with high fructose syrup. Wish I found out about this stuff sooner!

Reactions: Nitwit
Question about sweet vermouth. I don't drink a ton of hard alcholol, more of a beer and wine drinker. I've started drinking an occasional cocktails. Mainly negronis and manhattans. What type of sweet vermough do people buy for these cocktails. I've tried Carpano Antica Formala which was very nice,complex but a bit pricey compare to other brands. Bought Dolin Rogue, half the price of Formula, it was ok, not as nearly as nice. Any recommendations out there??

Just bought a bottle of Don Julio 70 Tequila. It's a very smooth sipping tequila at a decent price point for the quality.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT