ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

Whicked-Pickle-Phone-Header.jpg

Imagine this at your next tailgate?? Got to create a cocktail with it called the Jerkin’ Gherkin!

Picked up a bottle of Four Queens today. Have never tried it before

curious as to what others have to say about it

Mix 1 part Whicked Pickle and one part Skrewball Peanut Butter whiskey and viola’!
A new shot I’ve dubbed the Big PP!! :oops:o_O

Whicked-Pickle-Featured-Image.jpg

SK_750ml_pt_1_1080x.png

The Peanut Butter Whiskey with a quick spoonful of jelly is incredible. 1/4 teaspoon followed by a quick shot.....

Reactions: psuro
Some of this sounds “nice”! :oops:

0x0.jpg

Tamworth Distillery Eau de Musc – Beaver Butts Most whisky is vegan, but this one is a rare exception. This whiskey from Tamworth distillery is flavored with castoreum sacs, scent glands found under a beaver’s anus. They secrete a compound called castoreum, which provides raspberry-like, leathery flavors. A local licensed trapper harvests the sacs, as part of the beaver overpopulation control efforts in the area.

0x0.jpg

Fishky – Salted Herring
No one who created or bought this whisky was under any illusions about its quality. A German bottler, Stupidcask.de, took some Bruichladdich whisky and then ‘enhanced’ it by putting it for 3 months in casks that used to hold salted herring before it was released in 2007. Apparently there’s historical precedent; early Scottish distillers might occasionally have used herring casks to mature their whisky.

I don't know if this has been discussed here recently, but we discovered Costco wine in Delaware last summer -- it's a revelation. Prices consistently $5 a bottle less than state store prices, but every time we go there's something incredible -- a drinkable Cotes du Rhone for $8 a bottle, decent Bordeaux for $10, a nice spicy Argentinian Malbec for $7. There's a Kirkland box cab for $12 (equivalent to 4 bottles) and it's not bad, a step below Rodney Strong but fine for cooking or pizza. (Rodney's Sonoma is $15 a bottle btw) J Lohr which is always a solid cab is $12. I'm sure the higher-priced wines are a great deal too but we're bottom feeders (we have wine with dinner almost every night, so expensive wine is not in the cards for us).

I don't know if this has been discussed here recently, but we discovered Costco wine in Delaware last summer -- it's a revelation. Prices consistently $5 a bottle less than state store prices, but every time we go there's something incredible -- a drinkable Cotes du Rhone for $8 a bottle, decent Bordeaux for $10, a nice spicy Argentinian Malbec for $7. There's a Kirkland box cab for $12 (equivalent to 4 bottles) and it's not bad, a step below Rodney Strong but fine for cooking or pizza. (Rodney's Sonoma is $15 a bottle btw) J Lohr which is always a solid cab is $12. I'm sure the higher-priced wines are a great deal too but we're bottom feeders (we have wine with dinner almost every night, so expensive wine is not in the cards for us).

Wonder if it's back locally. I was looking for this to braise beef and the local shop said covid was slowing shipments dramatically. That was back in late November/ early December though.

Wonder if it's back locally. I was looking for this to braise beef and the local shop said covid was slowing shipments dramatically. That was back in late November/ early December though.
Every time you go the selection's different. Especially for imports -- Costco just buys a shitload of something they like, and they sell it until it's gone, and sometimes it goes fast. There is Costco Wine Blog (costcowineblog.com) that tracks and reviews. They didn't happen to have much French wine our last trip but there was a soft northern Italian red blend and a Spanish Crianza, both around 7 a bottle which is amazing. Yeah it is definitely the time of year for braising. Chicken thighs in a dry white, just sweat it for 3 hours till the liquid is cooked in and the chicken is browning in its own fat, can't beat it.

fc for bourbon people.....

Picked up about 20 bottles of the Argentinean Malbec. Great value.

,,,cheers

The Costco wine area is wonderful. So many good choices at great values. Beautiful display of economies of scale

Reactions: Midnighter2
The Costco wine area is wonderful. So many good choices at great values. Beautiful display of economies of scale

Even their Kirkland brand stuff is pretty drinkable (for casual times - TV watching, etc.). Would love to see them sell spirits in VA.

Reactions: cjrugger
New product in PA.

Email announcement today for Method and Madness Irish Whiskey. Showing a Single Grain, Single Malt and Single Pot Still whiskeys. Priced between $65 and $85 for 750ml. Don't know the brand but it is in PA.

New product in PA.

Email announcement today for Method and Madness Irish Whiskey. Showing a Single Grain, Single Malt and Single Pot Still whiskeys. Priced between $65 and $85 for 750ml. Don't know the brand but it is in PA.

I believe 'Method and Madness' is the brand; I think $65+ is high for an Irish Whiskey, but doing a quick search I see why - all three of their expressions are finished in either bourbon, French chestnut, French Limousin, sherry, or Spanish oak barrels (or some combination therof). I'd like to try, but again, steep I think for Irish Whiskey.

I believe 'Method and Madness' is the brand; I think $65+ is high for an Irish Whiskey, but doing a quick search I see why - all three of their expressions are finished in either bourbon, French chestnut, French Limousin, sherry, or Spanish oak barrels (or some combination therof). I'd like to try, but again, steep I think for Irish Whiskey.
When I said don't know the brand I meant never tried it.

Reactions: Midnighter2
The Pot Still is listed at $77 at our local store.
Puts it in the category of Red Breast, Green Spot, Teeling.

Reactions: fkkkjm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT