ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BWI Wines and Spirits Club - Use this thread to discuss wines/spirits/beer...

I think this belongs here. Haven't been able to track down Catoctin Creek since switching coasts. Shame really, it's my favorite.

I went to their distillery way back when they first launched in Purcellville; I'm not a big fan of unaged whiskies but their stuff is pretty good. I may have to check this out since GWAR rules (their shop in Purcellville is worth a visit too - great tasting room; the other local distillery doing well is Mt. Defiance in Middleburg; their rum is amazing).

Most stores in my area have it, but the Signature stores in Tyson's, Dranesville (on 7), and Aldie will definitely have it.
I just wonder of the .375 and the liter were the same. I know they produce some other variants of 47 that are priced higher. Either way that 1L price is damn good. I remember when the only way I could get it was in Germany, which I always did on my trips - its not much cheaper there btw.

Not enough love for beer in this thread. I picked up a case of my favorite wintertime beverage - Mad Elf from Troegs. Delicious but potent.

I did buy the Legent ($35 in NJ) - it was good but the bottle must have had a leak in it :cool:

Regarding gin - nothing fancy for me, typically Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire.

Cheap(er) vodka recommendation - Sobieski. Very good and $22 ish for a handle.

Interested in single malt recommendations that won't break the bank. Picked up Oban Little Bay for $52 - I like it.

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout & Penn Brewery St. Nick Brewers Reserve were recently acquired.

I’m not a big bourbon guy but I did very much enjoy the bottle of Yellowstone bourbon that I recently bought.

also looking for a recommendation for a good American whiskey (not bourbon, not Jack Daniels).... any suggestions? (Price range of around $25-$50 a bottle)

thanks

I’m not a big bourbon guy but I did very much enjoy the bottle of Yellowstone bourbon that I recently bought.

also looking for a recommendation for a good American whiskey (not bourbon, not Jack Daniels).... any suggestions? (Price range of around $25-$50 a bottle)

thanks

Michter’s US*1 American Whiskey. About $50.

michter_s-us1-unblended-small-batch-american-whiskey-1.jpg

thanks

Do you like the spiciness of Rye?

It’s more like $55-$60/bottle, but I was surprised at how much I liked Stranahan’s Diamond Peak.

Reactions: wplion
Changing things up a bit here, if you don’t mind a sweeter light spirit I found this to be a winner. I’m having it now, despite the recommendations in the description.

I’m too lazy to look through the thread, but it’s a great time of year to enjoy a Midwinter’s Night Dram.

Holiday Madness Marathon at Last Bottle today

Big wine sale where they sell wine after wine until they are sold out, then put up a new bottle. Moves fast

Free shipping on all of today's orders and $10 off your first if you sign up via my link

Enjoy!

My friend got a piece of a bourbon oak barrel with a rocks glass groove . There is a central cut bore hole . You light it with a torch lighter and a flame appears . Invert your rocks glass over the flame. Obviously, it creates a Smokey layer . Add your bourbon and it creates a slightly different flavor . Never heard of it before and I thought I’d share it with you . Happy New Year boys .
ewGSHlO.jpg

Sorry if this was discussed already, but what is everyone's opinion of Redbreast 12 year?

Santa brought me a bottle for it as I was really excited, thinking it was high end- and I'm really dissapointed. It's harsh and not smooth at all like I was expecting. If I had it blind I would guess it's Jameson regular. Anyone else find the same?

Sorry if this was discussed already, but what is everyone's opinion of Redbreast 12 year?

Santa brought me a bottle for it as I was really excited, thinking it was high end- and I'm really dissapointed. It's harsh and not smooth at all like I was expecting. If I had it blind I would guess it's Jameson regular. Anyone else find the same?

It's tempting for me to want to buy more expensive spirits, but truth be told I hit the wall (from an enjoyment perspective) at around $60 a bottle for whisky/Scotch. It's higher for cognac, but my palette just isn't to a point where a $250 bottle tastes that much better than something I can get for $50. I probably need to experiment more, but I was let down the first time I had Johnnie Walker Blue; didn't taste much different to me than JW Black. I've had Redbreast and felt the same; the Jameson Black Barrel I found to be just as good.

It's tempting for me to want to buy more expensive spirits, but truth be told I hit the wall (from an enjoyment perspective) at around $60 a bottle for whisky/Scotch. It's higher for cognac, but my palette just isn't to a point where a $250 bottle tastes that much better than something I can get for $50. I probably need to experiment more, but I was let down the first time I had Johnnie Walker Blue; didn't taste much different to me than JW Black. I've had Redbreast and felt the same; the Jameson Black Barrel I found to be just as good.
TOTALLY agree. And admitting I'm super cheap.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Powers Irish whisky at around $35-$40 per bottle is very good. I don’t need to spend a lot more although I enjoy Green Spot also which is probably a little better. It sells for around $60. I find the same is true for other spirits - Bulleit or Buffalo Trace, Plymouth or Tanqueray gin, Smirnoff or Absolut vodka are all fine and relatively moderately priced. If you having a mixed drink cocktail it doesn’t matter so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: wplion

Puzzled you found this harsh. It’s as smooth as can be. Oh well everyone has different tastes.

Reactions: cjrugger
Powers Irish whisky at around $40 per bottle is very good. I don’t need to spend a lot more although I enjoy Green Spot also which is probably a little better.

I bought a bottle of The Dead Rabbit Irish Whiskey for about $45, and it was fine, but regular Jameson would have been just as good.

Reactions: Nitwit

Redbreast 12 is highly regarded and is pretty much considered the standard for Irish pot still whiskey at that age/price range. Doubtful the bottle is bad, but you may find the whiskey will improve once it’s open for a bit and allowed to breathe.

What type of whiskey do you typically like? May give us an idea of what else you may be into.

Also FWIW, many are surprised to learn that higher end whiskey is typically the opposite of what people of think as smooth. The high end stuff is often in the barrel longer and has a higher abv, and the flavors and burn is sometimes too much for less experienced whiskey drinkers. The aggressive nature of these drinks is what makes them so unique and attractive.

Additionally, if you swirled the crap out of the whiskey before drinking let it sit for a bit. Alcohol esters come out after doing that, and it can make the drink a bit harsh and the alcohol is more noticeable than usual.

Redbreast 12 is highly regarded and is pretty much considered the standard for Irish pot still whiskey at that age/price range. Doubtful the bottle is bad, but you may find the whiskey will improve once it’s open for a bit and allowed to breathe.

What type of whiskey do you typically like? May give us an idea of what else you may be into.

Also FWIW, many are surprised to learn that higher end whiskey is typically the opposite of what people of think as smooth. The high end stuff is often in the barrel longer and has a higher abv, and the flavors and burn is sometimes too much for less experienced whiskey drinkers. The aggressive nature of these drinks is what makes them so unique and attractive.

Additionally, if you swirled the crap out of the whiskey before drinking let it sit for a bit. Alcohol esters come out after doing that, and it can make the drink a bit harsh and the alcohol is more noticeable than usual.
Thanks for the info and an interesting point that I didn't think of.

Jameson Black Barrel has been my standard for a few years and have always enjoyed it, so it's not a proof issue, but maybe the barrel treatment masked some of the heat flavor that is coming through on the Redbreast. Agree that a little bit of air may help it as well

Thanks for the info and an interesting point that I didn't think of.

Jameson Black Barrel has been my standard for a few years and have always enjoyed it, so it's not a proof issue, but maybe the barrel treatment masked some of the heat flavor that is coming through on the Redbreast. Agree that a little bit of air may help it as well
Hmm, I’m not a big Irish whiskey guy, but the black barrel and Redbreast are theoretically similar, so I understand you’re disappointment. Only thing I can think of is that the RedBreast is finished in sherry casks. I am generally not a fan of this finish, so perhaps it’s those flavors you’re not liking? Overall though it appears you should’ve liked the Redbreast, but the same phenomenon happens to me on occasion.

Reactions: cjrugger
PLCB just posted their annual Pappy lottery today. Entries end by end of the week and drawing occurs next week with winners notified by end of January.

Limited-Release Lottery products:

• Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 23 Year Old 95.6 Proof 2020 Release, $399.99, 23 bottles (18 for individual consumers, 5 for licensees)
  • Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 20 Year Old 90.4 Proof 2020 Release, $249.99, 71 bottles (54 for individual consumers, 17 for licensees)
  • Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 15 Year Old 107 Proof 2020 Release, $149.99, 178 bottles (134 for individual consumers, 44 for licensees)
  • Van Winkle Family Reserve Straight Rye Whiskey 13 Year Old 95.6 Proof 2020 Release, $159.99, 178 bottles (134 for individual consumers, 44 for licensees)
  • Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Straight Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 Proof 2020 Release, $89.99, 493 bottles (370 for individual consumers, 123 for licensees)
  • Van Winkle Special Reserve Straight Bourbon 12 Year Old 90.4 Proof 2020 Release, $99.99, 988 bottles (741 for individual consumers, 247 for licensees)

PLCB just posted their annual Pappy lottery today. Entries end by end of the week and drawing occurs next week with winners notified by end of January.

Limited-Release Lottery products:

• Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 23 Year Old 95.6 Proof 2020 Release, $399.99, 23 bottles (18 for individual consumers, 5 for licensees)
  • Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 20 Year Old 90.4 Proof 2020 Release, $249.99, 71 bottles (54 for individual consumers, 17 for licensees)
  • Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Straight Bourbon 15 Year Old 107 Proof 2020 Release, $149.99, 178 bottles (134 for individual consumers, 44 for licensees)
  • Van Winkle Family Reserve Straight Rye Whiskey 13 Year Old 95.6 Proof 2020 Release, $159.99, 178 bottles (134 for individual consumers, 44 for licensees)
  • Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Straight Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 Proof 2020 Release, $89.99, 493 bottles (370 for individual consumers, 123 for licensees)
  • Van Winkle Special Reserve Straight Bourbon 12 Year Old 90.4 Proof 2020 Release, $99.99, 988 bottles (741 for individual consumers, 247 for licensees)
This is becoming my second annual rejection with the Masters.

;)And I am a winner!!! Got a bottle of Van Winkle 12 yo Special Reserve. $99.99.
I have seen this online for about $1100/bottle. May make an appearance at a tailgate this fall! (That is if tailgating will happen) :rolleyes:

Third time I have succeeded in the lottery. Still have the Old Rip Van Winkle
unopened from a few years ago and also won a Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye which was outstanding and sadly empty now.

Last edited:
;)And I am a winner!!! Got a bottle of Van Winkle 12 yo Special Reserve. $99.99.
I have seen this online for about $1100/bottle. May make an appearance at a tailgate this fall! (That is if tailgating will happen) :rolleyes:

unopened from a few years ago and also won a Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye which was outstanding and sadly empty now.

Ha! Nice!

Reactions: rudedude

Well done, good sir.

Reactions: rudedude
ADVERTISEMENT