ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Brady/ Patriots are likely only hurting themselves in the long run.

LTFox14

Oct 15, 2005
This dog and pony show of denials and fit throwing is NOT going to persuade public opinion in their favor because Spygate took that from them forever. Even if they get this reduced or whatnot this is only alienating them from the rest of the NFL more and more. And I have to think that the protective bubble that has surrounded Mr. Brady throughout his career is gone forever and he will likely get the Roethlisberger treatment. But unlike Big Ben I can't see Tom Shady(nice billboard Jets fans) being able to with stand the hits that Big Ben takes on a regular basis and even the Ravens acknowledge that Ben gets no special treatment from the NFL as far as being protected. Well if Brady can't sit on his mark and throw he becomes a very average quarterback. This hissy fit he is throwing will do him no favors with the NFL and they don't have to put a black mark against him. They just need to treat him like all the other quarterbacks and not give him the special treatment he and Peyton among others have enjoyed. Tommy doesn't like to be hit and has thrown fits in the past when he thought he was hit even a split second late. and I would also guess that the Pats Oline better learn how to block without even a little holding. This is all IMHO.

The funniest thing for me....lawyers claiming deflate refers to losing weight. LOL!!! Of course he is going to threaten to go to ESPN about Brady losing weight. LOL!!! That logic is hysterical. So you suspended the guy for talking about weight loss? If you wanted to seem legit, you should have kept those guys all full time and issued a statement of support for them.

the problem with the pats is the rest of the league is tired of their act. They\ Pats better not push goddel to hard he knows where the spygate bodies were buried. The owners will have goodel's back if it becomes a pushing match.

the problem with the pats is the rest of the league is tired of their act. They\ Pats better not push goddel to hard he knows where the spygate bodies were buried. The owners will have goodel's back if it becomes a pushing match.

The rest of the league is tired of losing. They keep looking for excuses (they cheat, they do this, they do that) to explain why the Patriots win as much as they do. If anyone here thinks that a slightly underinflated football was the difference in a 45-7 game against the Colts, please say so (noting that the Colts played the entire game with underinflated balls, not just the first half).

Otherwise, stop giving the teams you root for an excuse and make it clear that you expect them to work as hard as the Patriots do. You may be absolutely justified in expecting your team and coaching staff to do it better (i.e. don't push the limits / "cheat") but don't let them get away with working less and expecting the score to be in their favor at the end of the game.

The rest of the league is tired of losing. They keep looking for excuses (they cheat, they do this, they do that) to explain why the Patriots win as much as they do. If anyone here thinks that a slightly underinflated football was the difference in a 45-7 game against the Colts, please say so (noting that the Colts played the entire game with underinflated balls, not just the first half).

Otherwise, stop giving the teams you root for an excuse and make it clear that you expect them to work as hard as the Patriots do. You may be absolutely justified in expecting your team and coaching staff to do it better (i.e. don't push the limits / "cheat") but don't let them get away with working less and expecting the score to be in their favor at the end of the game.

It's not an excuse to say the Patriots cheat, it's a fact. Whether or not the balls that were deflated made any difference in their win against the Colts is completely irrelevant. Using your logic, if someone goes into a bank and tries to rob it, but doesn't actually get any money, then he shouldn't be punished because he didn't gain anything from it.

Just for clarity in thought here....the Pats did not play with underinflated footballs. They played with footballs which were properly inflated at one point and had air removed in order to reach a desired PSI. They were DEFLATED footballs, not underinflated footballs. It is the difference in having a tire which is low on pressure because it got cold, and having a tire that someone lets air out of because they are pissed at you.

Reactions: jjsocrates
I'm not seeing how the Pats are hurt by any of this. They won the championship and they have their fans... neither of those things are going to change. Way too much is being made out of this. If people are mad, it should be at the NFL. There is no reason why the NFL can't be the ones who hold onto the balls after they get checked. Why even check them if they go right back to the teams? Seems silly.

Fact or not, what is your point? Are you saying the Patriots only win because they cheat or are you saying you don't like t
Just for clarity in thought here....the Pats did not play with underinflated footballs. They played with footballs which were properly inflated at one point and had air removed in order to reach a desired PSI. They were DEFLATED footballs, not underinflated footballs. It is the difference in having a tire which is low on pressure because it got cold, and having a tire that someone lets air out of because they are pissed at you.

I appreciate your difference between deflated and underinflated.

If you look at parts of the Patriots response to the Wells report, you'll find that the Wells report sounds a lot like the Freeh report. The Patriots balls were measured with a different gauge than the Colts balls. The two gauges gave markedly different results - I think it was something like .35 psi difference in the gauges (or the difference between the Colts balls being above or below the lower limit). They measured the Colts balls with the "lower" gauge and 3 out of the 4 they measured were low so they switched to the other gauge. They did not do that with the Patriots balls. They were also measuring the Colts balls at the end of halftime (shown by the fact that they only had time to measure 4 of their balls before running out of time). No air was added to the Colts balls even though they were measuring low on the gauge that was used to justify adding air to the Patriots balls.

The Wells report was bought and paid for by the NFL and gave them exactly what they wanted - just like the Freeh report.

Reactions: Mister Magoo
What penalties were levied to the chargers when they illegally applied a tacky substance to their balls with a towel in 2012 and the panthers that was caught illegally heating their footballs in december this season?

These are 3 football condition related violations and only the Pats and Brady are being punished? Seems a little fishy.

I would expect the "tacky substance" to have a similar affect on their ability to throw and catch the ball. I would also assume that the application of the substance was done after the balls had been checked by the game officials. It does seem pretty similar.

Fact or not, what is your point? Are you saying the Patriots only win because they cheat or are you saying you don't like t

I don't know what the rest of your question was, but I think my point was pretty clear. Whether or not someone gains something by breaking the rules is irrelevant. Again, if I go in and try to rob a bank, but I end up not getting any money, do you believe I shouldn't be in any trouble? After all, I didn't gain anything.

The Patriots don't win only because they cheat, but that doesn't change the fact that they cheat and it's been proven as such.

Obviously you're a Patriots fan so you refuse to believe the Patriots and/or Brady could do anything wrong, and I'm assuming you're even buying the laughably absurd assertion that "deflator" referred to being overweight. Kraft could become even richer if he offered all Patriots fans the opportunity to own a bridge in Brooklyn - they'll buy anything.

I appreciate your difference between deflated and underinflated.

If you look at parts of the Patriots response to the Wells report, you'll find that the Wells report sounds a lot like the Freeh report. The Patriots balls were measured with a different gauge than the Colts balls. The two gauges gave markedly different results - I think it was something like .35 psi difference in the gauges (or the difference between the Colts balls being above or below the lower limit). They measured the Colts balls with the "lower" gauge and 3 out of the 4 they measured were low so they switched to the other gauge. They did not do that with the Patriots balls. They were also measuring the Colts balls at the end of halftime (shown by the fact that they only had time to measure 4 of their balls before running out of time). No air was added to the Colts balls even though they were measuring low on the gauge that was used to justify adding air to the Patriots balls.

The Wells report was bought and paid for by the NFL and gave them exactly what they wanted - just like the Freeh report.

Brady lied and got caught. Lying and getting caught is the worst thing you can do in these situations as you lose credibility. Brady and the Patriots should keep their mouths shut, accept the 4 games/fine, etc before they look even worse.

If the Patriots did nothing wrong, why did they suspend the two ball boys?

What penalties were levied to the chargers when they illegally applied a tacky substance to their balls with a towel in 2012 and the panthers that was caught illegally heating their footballs in december this season?

These are 3 football condition related violations and only the Pats and Brady are being punished? Seems a little fishy.

The Chargers and Falcons were punished. The Chargers received a fine and the Falcons lost a draft pick. The difference between all three cases is that the Chargers and Falcons fessed up to it, while the Patriots have fought it from the beginning. I'm not saying the NFL reacted correctly (in fact, they seem to be a bit NCAA-ish with their punishments now), but there is some reasoning for why the Pats got slammed.

Yeah, the Patriots are unfairly targeted. That's why Goodell destroyed the Spygate tapes. Poor Kraft and Brady. I don't understand why people think they cheat, I mean, other than the fact that it's been proven that they cheat. Facts be damned - it's a witch hunt against poor Brady! I don't know how he copes, making millions, sleeping with Gisele, etc, etc. At least you have the valiant Patriots fans with the well placed priorities taking up collections on Brady's and the Patriots' behalf.

I don't know what the rest of your question was, but I think my point was pretty clear. Whether or not someone gains something by breaking the rules is irrelevant. Again, if I go in and try to rob a bank, but I end up not getting any money, do you believe I shouldn't be in any trouble? After all, I didn't gain anything.

The Patriots don't win only because they cheat, but that doesn't change the fact that they cheat and it's been proven as such.

Obviously you're a Patriots fan so you refuse to believe the Patriots and/or Brady could do anything wrong, and I'm assuming you're even buying the laughably absurd assertion that "deflator" referred to being overweight. Kraft could become even richer if he offered all Patriots fans the opportunity to own a bridge in Brooklyn - they'll buy anything.

Sorry for the unfinished sentence. That got tucked in above the quoted post and I didn't see it to go back and delete it.

If you have really looked at the facts and feel that the case was "proven", then you are welcome to your opinion. If you haven't looked at the facts and instead are listening to the media coverage, then shame on you for letting them form your opinion for you. I think we all learned the dangers of that a few years back.

Even if I am a Patriots fan, how do you know what I refuse to believe or not believe based on a couple of posts in this thread? You are being incredibly presumptuous in that statement. Make a point to refute what I'm saying but save the personal attacks (yes, I consider an accusation that I'm unwilling to hear another point of view an "attack")/gross generalizations for someone else.

And yes, the "Deflator" thing is stupid. The entire report would have been better without it because it gives people an excuse to dismiss the report rather than actually look at the other side of the story. The Wells report was bogus and it will not hold up if anyone other than Goodell hears the appeal.

Lastly, if pointing to the cheating isn't an "excuse", it is at best a deflection. If, as you stated, the cheating is not the only reason for the wins, then talking only about the cheating is deflecting from the fact that the Patriots were flat out better than other teams. In part, you are letting your team off the hook for not being as good.

Yeah, the Patriots are unfairly targeted. That's why Goodell destroyed the Spygate tapes. Poor Kraft and Brady. I don't understand why people think they cheat, I mean, other than the fact that it's been proven that they cheat. Facts be damned - it's a witch hunt against poor Brady! I don't know how he copes, making millions, sleeping with Gisele, etc, etc. At least you have the valiant Patriots fans with the well placed priorities taking up collections on Brady's and the Patriots' behalf.

[Putting my question in the right place this time...]
Are you saying that it is reasonable that Panthers and Chargers punishment for altering the ball was non-existent compared to the Patriots punishment?

I think the biggest difference was the amount of media coverage - Brady and the Patriots are a bigger story than the Chargers or Panthers. You may think that SpyGate (which had nothing to do with Brady) is justification for the inequity but, IMHO, it is a stretch at best.

Sorry for the unfinished sentence. That got tucked in above the quoted post and I didn't see it to go back and delete it.

If you have really looked at the facts and feel that the case was "proven", then you are welcome to your opinion. If you haven't looked at the facts and instead are listening to the media coverage, then shame on you for letting them form your opinion for you. I think we all learned the dangers of that a few years back.

Even if I am a Patriots fan, how do you know what I refuse to believe or not believe based on a couple of posts in this thread? You are being incredibly presumptuous in that statement. Make a point to refute what I'm saying but save the personal attacks (yes, I consider an accusation that I'm unwilling to hear another point of view an "attack")/gross generalizations for someone else.

And yes, the "Deflator" thing is stupid. The entire report would have been better without it because it gives people an excuse to dismiss the report rather than actually look at the other side of the story. The Wells report was bogus and it will not hold up if anyone other than Goodell hears the appeal.

Lastly, if pointing to the cheating isn't an "excuse", it is at best a deflection. If, as you stated, the cheating is not the only reason for the wins, then talking only about the cheating is deflecting from the fact that the Patriots were flat out better than other teams. In part, you are letting your team off the hook for not being as good.
Dude, the Pats are an excellent team. Feel better? By a preponderance of the evidence, Brady was not truthful and the balls were fixed. Under NFL guidelines, that is sufficient proof. If you don't like the guidelines, then your energy should be directed there.

And your boy Brady will never sue the NFL over this. His phone records would be subpoenaed if he did and guess what, there would almost certainly be more evidence of cheating than just a preponderance. I for one would love to see what all the discussions were about between Brady and the ball boys once the story broke.

Given you chastised me for relying on media coverage to glean information, I'd like to know where you're getting your information from, since apparently it's not the media.

I'm not surprised you feel attacked, as that seems to be your M.O. for all of your Patriots/Brady defense posts (poor Patriots and Brady, everybody is just jealous of them because they win, etc, etc), but it's pretty weak imo. As to what you believe and refuse to believe, I think you've made that very clear, but I'll give you a chance to clarify in case I have it wrong.
  1. You refuse to believe Brady or the Patriots did anything wrong. True or false?
  2. You believe Brady and the Patriots are unfairly targeted because they win. True or false?
  3. You believe everyone else is just jealous because their teams aren't as good as the Patriots. True or false?
  4. You believe the Wells report is 100% without merit. True or false?
  5. You believe talking about the Patriots cheating is nothing more than a deflection because people don't want to talk about and/or acknowledge how great the Patriots are. True or false?
  6. Lastly, you're a Patriots fan. True or false?
I find it amusing the you acknowledge that the "deflator" referring to weight loss is stupid, and yet you accept everything else the Patriots say. That's rather hypocritical that you blindly accept the Patriots report (which has some obvious and admitted bogus information), and then blindly dismiss the Wells report as 100% conjecture despite obvious facts.

We get it - the Patriots are the best team in the history of the world, they did nothing wrong, Brady is infallible, everyone else is just jealous.

[Putting my question in the right place this time...]
Are you saying that it is reasonable that Panthers and Chargers punishment for altering the ball was non-existent compared to the Patriots punishment?

I think the biggest difference was the amount of media coverage - Brady and the Patriots are a bigger story than the Chargers or Panthers. You may think that SpyGate (which had nothing to do with Brady) is justification for the inequity but, IMHO, it is a stretch at best.

The Chargers were punished in the form of a fine.

As for spygate having nothing to do with Brady, you do realize it was the Patriots videotaping defensive signals of the opposing team, right? Do you honestly believe knowing the defensive signals and plays of the other team had nothing to do with Brady who leads the Patriots offense? :confused:

Given you chastised me for relying on media coverage to glean information, I'd like to know where you're getting your information from, since apparently it's not the media.

[rem524] It may have been too subtle of a point but I was attempting to differentiate between considering the facts and just listening to the media coverage and allowing them to form your opinion for you. Given your response that you were "chastised" by my comments, I can only assume that you are allowing the media to form your opinion for you. Otherwise, no chastising should have been felt.

I'm not surprised you feel attacked, as that seems to be your M.O. for all of your Patriots/Brady defense posts (poor Patriots and Brady, everybody is just jealous of them because they win, etc, etc), but it's pretty weak imo. As to what you believe and refuse to believe, I think you've made that very clear, but I'll give you a chance to clarify in case I have it wrong.

[rem524] I'm not sure I've commented on the Patriots enough to have an "M.O." but, as before, you are welcome to your opinion. I certainly don't think I don't think it is an accurate assessment .
  1. You refuse to believe Brady or the Patriots did anything wrong. True or false?
    • [rem524] No. I don't see clear evidence that they deflated the game balls against Indianapolis but other evidence could change my mind. You seem pretty convinced of your conclusion of Patriots guilt despite the fact that the officials used two different gauges to measure the pressure and they allowed the Colts to continue playing with underinflated balls in the second half (according to the gauge used to measure the pressure of the Patriots game balls). It was documented that the Patriot's game balls started lower than Indy's so it is not surprising that the Patriot's balls were lower at half time. If Indy's game balls were still below the limit after being back inside during most of halftime, it would be harder to believe if the Patriot's were not given that they started lower.
  2. You believe Brady and the Patriots are unfairly targeted because they win. True or false?
    • [rem524] No. I wouldn't say there is a pattern of targeting. I think there are people who are using "The Patriots cheat" as an excuse for their lack of success. The fun part there is that the Patriots are "in the head" of a lot of people when anything goes wrong. I can't imagine that helps them keep perform their best.
  3. You believe everyone else is just jealous because their teams aren't as good as the Patriots. True or false?
    • [rem524] No. Everyone? No, I do not believe that everyone is jealous of the Patriots.
  4. You believe the Wells report is 100% without merit. True or false?
    • [rem524] No. 100%? Absolutely not. I think the conclusions are very suspect and not necessarily supported by the facts but there is enough information there to support my position. I don't think there is enough information there to prove your position that they cheated.
  5. You believe talking about the Patriots cheating is nothing more than a deflection because people don't want to talk about and/or acknowledge how great the Patriots are. True or false?
    • [rem524] No. I don't think people bring it up to avoid talking about the overall greatness of the Patriots. There are different reasons to opine on the topic and I think some are trying to explain why they lost in what are some of the biggest games of their lives (as players or fans).
  6. Lastly, you're a Patriots fan. True or false?
    • [rem524] Congrats - you got one. Yes, I'm a Patriots fan. As a lifelong Boston fan, it has been a great run enjoying nine championships in the last 10+ years (and it makes up for a lot of frustration as a Red Sox and Patriots fan over the years before that).
I find it amusing the you acknowledge that the "deflator" referring to weight loss is stupid, and yet you accept everything else the Patriots say. That's rather hypocritical that you blindly accept the Patriots report (which has some obvious and admitted bogus information), and then blindly dismiss the Wells report as 100% conjecture despite obvious facts.

[rem524] So point out the bogus information from the Patriots instead of spending time writing six questions that were so poorly constructed that they really add nothing to the discussion. I enjoyed answering "No" because your questions were so extreme that nobody could really answer "Yes".

We get it - the Patriots are the best team in the history of the world, they did nothing wrong, Brady is infallible, everyone else is just jealous.

[rem524] Yeah, that's what I said ... not.

Responses (intentionally, this time) inserted above.

As for spygate having nothing to do with Brady, you do realize it was the Patriots videotaping defensive signals of the opposing team, right? Do you honestly believe knowing the defensive signals and plays of the other team had nothing to do with Brady who leads the Patriots offense? :confused:

The recording of the signals was not done in any way by Brady. It was never clear to me what additional information was gained by recording the signals on the sideline instead of legally recording them from other locations in the stadium but clearly the Patriots thought it was worth it. They were punished for their actions and, after that practice stopped, went on to have a great offensive season (one of the best passing years ever). I guess that exposed those Patriots, huh?

BTW, you do know that it is legal to record the defensive signals for other teams, right? The Patriots offense wasn't in recording the signals, it was in recording them from the sideline.

In an age where they routinely take stadium pictures that show the face of every person in the stands, I think they can see what they want from the approved angles (but that may not be correct). I would also think that something as simple as changing the defensive signals could be done if you thought the offense knew your signals.

Responses (intentionally, this time) inserted above.

Wow, lots and lots of contradictions.

"The rest of the league is tired of losing. They keep looking for excuses (they cheat, they do this, they do that) to explain why the Patriots win as much as they do." But then you say it's false that the Patriots are unfairly targeted because they win. Which is it?

You say it's false that you refuse to believe Brady or the Patriots did anything wrong, but then you argue that they did nothing wrong and say there's no evidence they did anything wrong and the evidence is to the contrary. Which is it?

You say it's false that you believe the Wells report is 100% without merit, but then you say "The Wells report was bought and paid for by the NFL and gave them exactly what they wanted - just like the Freeh report." Which is it?

You seem very unsure of your own stance. I could go on, but I really don't feel like going through the rest of your contradictions. Let me bottom line it: The Patriots have cheated in the past and I believe they cheated with the underinflated balls that were against the rules. You are a Patriots fan who likes to brag about how awesome the Patriots (and other Boston sports teams) are and believe other people are just making excuses because they aren't the Patriots. That sums it up.

This dog and pony show of denials and fit throwing is NOT going to persuade public opinion in their favor because Spygate took that from them forever. Even if they get this reduced or whatnot this is only alienating them from the rest of the NFL more and more. And I have to think that the protective bubble that has surrounded Mr. Brady throughout his career is gone forever and he will likely get the Roethlisberger treatment. But unlike Big Ben I can't see Tom Shady(nice billboard Jets fans) being able to with stand the hits that Big Ben takes on a regular basis and even the Ravens acknowledge that Ben gets no special treatment from the NFL as far as being protected. Well if Brady can't sit on his mark and throw he becomes a very average quarterback. This hissy fit he is throwing will do him no favors with the NFL and they don't have to put a black mark against him. They just need to treat him like all the other quarterbacks and not give him the special treatment he and Peyton among others have enjoyed. Tommy doesn't like to be hit and has thrown fits in the past when he thought he was hit even a split second late. and I would also guess that the Pats Oline better learn how to block without even a little holding. This is all IMHO.
Your wording is eerily familiar. Sounds exactly what the MSM and most of America was saying (and still is) about Penn State faithful and the Paternos for launching their lawsuit. Just sayin'. Guess you're not allowed to defend yourself these days in America.

Last edited:
The difference being Joe Paterno built up a legacy of doing things the right way and IMHO had earned the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. The Patriots have not earned that benefit of the doubt and because Spygate have actually proven to like the push the bounds of fairness. So lets please not try to equate the Patriots and Tom Brady to Joe. Cause it simply is not there. IMHO. If Brady had been smart from the start saying this would have ended this whole thing. I apologize I told the equipment guys I like the balls low. I guess they went a little too far that was not my intention. I accept full responsibility for their actions. That would have been the manly thing to do. He would have got a 25000 fine move on. Instead he has everybody including his daddy talking for him. When everybody knows that he would be the only one that would ask for that. Any other explanation does not make sense. He should have manned up. Instead he is suing. yeah that is going to win back public opinion. He will probably get the Penn State treatment from the refs too. Good luck with that.

The difference being Joe Paterno built up a legacy of doing things the right way and IMHO had earned the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. The Patriots have not earned that benefit of the doubt and because Spygate have actually proven to like the push the bounds of fairness. So lets please not try to equate the Patriots and Tom Brady to Joe. Cause it simply is not there. IMHO. If Brady had been smart from the start saying this would have ended this whole thing. I apologize I told the equipment guys I like the balls low. I guess they went a little too far that was not my intention. I accept full responsibility for their actions. That would have been the manly thing to do. He would have got a 25000 fine move on. Instead he has everybody including his daddy talking for him. When everybody knows that he would be the only one that would ask for that. Any other explanation does not make sense. He should have manned up. Instead he is suing. yeah that is going to win back public opinion. He will probably get the Penn State treatment from the refs too. Good luck with that.

What he said ^^^

Wow, lots and lots of contradictions.

"The rest of the league is tired of losing. They keep looking for excuses (they cheat, they do this, they do that) to explain why the Patriots win as much as they do." But then you say it's false that the Patriots are unfairly targeted because they win. Which is it?

You say it's false that you refuse to believe Brady or the Patriots did anything wrong, but then you argue that they did nothing wrong and say there's no evidence they did anything wrong and the evidence is to the contrary. Which is it?

You say it's false that you believe the Wells report is 100% without merit, but then you say "The Wells report was bought and paid for by the NFL and gave them exactly what they wanted - just like the Freeh report." Which is it?

You seem very unsure of your own stance. I could go on, but I really don't feel like going through the rest of your contradictions. Let me bottom line it: The Patriots have cheated in the past and I believe they cheated with the underinflated balls that were against the rules. You are a Patriots fan who likes to brag about how awesome the Patriots (and other Boston sports teams) are and believe other people are just making excuses because they aren't the Patriots. That sums it up.

Way to put words in my mouth. I'll try to clarify for you (but I'm not hopeful you will actually understand based on your current interpretations of my posts):

I think being actively (and unfairly) "targeted" is an active decision to go after the Patriots. I think the responses I have observed by many who have found themselves on the losing side of the scoreboard have been more opportunistic than actively targeting. You may interpret it otherwise but I think my responses have been consistent.

There is a difference between not agreeing there is evidence of wrongdoing and "refusing to believe" something. As I said before (and you seem to have ignored), there may be evidence out there that would convince me otherwise but it is not in the Wells report. IMHO, I have seen no evidence that Brady or the Patriots did anything wrong. At best, the NFL is relying on a significantly reduced burden of proof. Even at that reduced level, they are stretching credibility in their findings and particularly in the punishment that has been levied compared to past penalties for similar actions.

As for the Wells report being "100% without merit", that statement would imply that there is no truth at in the report. I think there is some level of valid information in the report. I also think that the conclusions reached by Wells are not supported by the evidence provided. If that means "100% without merit" to you, then I guess you are correct but I think your wording is deeply flawed (but again, that may be more of a subtle difference than you are inclined to or are capable of following).

I don't post all that much about the Patriots or other Boston teams so you may be thinking of other posters. I just stepped up here and managed to gain your attention. I won't back down from your inaccurate characterizations of my posts or positions.

Odd that you would think I didn't know that it was the Patriots that were punished for Spygate but I guess you feel the need to point out the obvious. Thanks for clarifying the obvious for me.

My point is that Brady had no part in the act of illegal videotaping. Punishing him excessively (4 games without pay) based on previous actions of other members of the team is unlikely to stand up to further scrutiny. The NFL better hope that Goodell is allowed to hear the appeal or they are likely to be facing yet another embarrassing decision from an arbitrator.

You say there is no concrete evidence and yet Brady refused to give up his phone. He could get 4 games just for not cooperating. Goodell even gave his phone over during the rice investigation. The Pats could get what they got for not cooperating. If he is so clean they turn over email and phone but No. Thus I give him no benefit of the doubt. These Patriots fans thinking the whole NFl is jealous is quite humorous. 1 suoer bowl in 10 years and lucky Pete Carroll ego is too big or none so hardly anything to expect everybody is jealous. What people are tired of is cheating. Spygate, deflategate and headsets not working and whatever else. They do things the wrong way and that is how they are seen to everybody else. SO please stop with this holier than thou attitude. I am completely happy with how my NFL team has done. Oh how about 6 super bowls. I don't see teams complaining about them and they have been quite successful over 10 years or 30 years pick your poison. Then you get these lame excuses like the deflator is fat. Can you honestly tell me you believe that is true. That is the funny part Patriot fans won't deny they did it they try to hide behind you didn't prove it. Except circumstantial evidence is enough in the courtroom that is the NFL. You do not need beyond a reasonable doubt here and that is a fact.

First of all, I don't consider refusing to give up the phone "concrete evidence". Another explanation (beyond your assumption of guilt) is that no player has surrendered their phone to the NFL as part of an investigation and the union is not in favor of setting that precedent. FWIW, the Patriots did provide the phones for the two employees implicated in the Wells report. There is no precedent for the NFL to receive the personal property of a player like that.

Your statement that you give Brady "no benefit of the doubt" equates to an assumption of guilt. That might work fine in your world but it does not hold up elsewhere (nor would you be so quick to accept those terms if you were the accused). While there are definite differences, there are similarities to the way JoePa was tried and convicted by the media. As has been said here in the context of that media frenzy, there is no way to "prove a negative", or prove that you didn't do or know something. The same is true for Brady and the Patriots.

If you take a look back at my earlier post, you'd see my comments on the Deflator explanation. I'll try to keep my answer completely consistent so LionFan96 doesn't get his panties rolled up in a bunch. It was a stupid explanation and it gives people looking to dismiss the full Patriots response without actually reading it a convenient excuse to do so.

In return, maybe you can answer a question that LionFan96 won't touch. Why is it reasonable to measure the Patriots balls with one gauge shown to be measuring as much as .35 psi lower than another, measure 4 of the Colts balls with the same gauge (showing 3 of the 4 to be underinflated even after they warmed up inside for most of halftime), switch to the "higher" gauge just for the Colts balls and then leave the Colts balls underinflated for the second half?

Talking about doing it the right way, is "your team" the one that took the use of steroids to an unprecedented level while they were winning most of their championships? The same one whose current QB has some questions around his past (why was he in a Ladies bathroom at all?)? Is that what you consider doing it the "right way"? I was (and still am) a fan of that team too but I wouldn't say a team that had admitted steroid users was flawless.

We will see how things work out in "the courtroom that is the NFL". For now, only the prosecution has had their say. How will people feel if the suspension is cut in half - or even eliminated?

Last edited:
If Brady wanted to clear his name he should have given the phone that is why he does not get my benefit of the doubt. If he has nothing to hide then give it. The best part is if he sues he will have to. and here is another thing to keep in mind. If he testifies under oath perjury charges could be in play if he lies. You may say that is ridiculous but just ask Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds how ridiculous it is. They both maintained they didn't do anything wrong either. Yeah you are probably right the Steelers were the only team in the 70's using steroids. You are correct the explanation for the deflator makes the PAtriots look worse because it makes it seem like they are lying because it is a terrible explanation. Better to not have said anything. Goodell is over hearing the arbitration no way it is eliminated maybe reduced. There was an article up in New England referenced in SI stating Brady's chances in real court are not good because it is all allowed by the Bargaining agreement. They do not need a smoking gun. and public sentiment is not on your side. That would be the only way I could see it being eliminated. I don't agree that the media has been all against the Pats. They have been treated waaaay better than we were. As for Ben, notice our owner made Ben accept the punishment no questions asked and there was never any charges ever brought and that suspension at the time 6 games was way to harsh considering again that no charges were ever filed. You don't think Ben could have fought that . No charges filed and he got 6 games with no history of discipline problems. Now it was reduced to 4 but still. I wonder if Kraft would have done the same. and remember circumstantial evidence is all they need to suspend. Not beyond a reasonable doubt.

If Brady wanted to clear his name he should have given the phone that is why he does not get my benefit of the doubt. If he has nothing to hide then give it. The best part is if he sues he will have to. and here is another thing to keep in mind. If he testifies under oath perjury charges could be in play if he lies. You may say that is ridiculous but just ask Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds how ridiculous it is. They both maintained they didn't do anything wrong either. Yeah you are probably right the Steelers were the only team in the 70's using steroids. You are correct the explanation for the deflator makes the PAtriots look worse because it makes it seem like they are lying because it is a terrible explanation. Better to not have said anything. Goodell is over hearing the arbitration no way it is eliminated maybe reduced. There was an article up in New England referenced in SI stating Brady's chances in real court are not good because it is all allowed by the Bargaining agreement. They do not need a smoking gun. and public sentiment is not on your side. That would be the only way I could see it being eliminated. I don't agree that the media has been all against the Pats. They have been treated waaaay better than we were. As for Ben, notice our owner made Ben accept the punishment no questions asked and there was never any charges ever brought and that suspension at the time 6 games was way to harsh considering again that no charges were ever filed. You don't think Ben could have fought that . No charges filed and he got 6 games with no history of discipline problems. Now it was reduced to 4 but still. I wonder if Kraft would have done the same. and remember circumstantial evidence is all they need to suspend. Not beyond a reasonable doubt.

I understand the interpretation of not Brady giving up his phone. I can also believe that the NFLPA was not in favor of Brady doing that. If he did, the NFL would say "Brady gave us his phone" for future investigations. I'm not arguing that it does not look bad. I am saying there have been many people representing different interests advising Brady on this. I agree that perjury is not something to mess around with.

FWIW, I was very careful not to say that the Steelers were the only team. From what I have read, they were not the first either. I think it is accurate to say they are generally regarded as having taken steroid use "to another level". The entire Ben thing was another example of a person being convicted and punished in the "court of public opinion" instead of in a court of law or even in a formalized investigation. There was no way the Steelers or Ben (I can't spell his last name anyway) could have fought that given the climate. The media has way too much power these days and there is too much punishment inflicted by "the public" before facts are known and proven. Look at JVP, Duke lacrosse and the UVA fraternity for other examples.

I don't think I said that all of the media is against the Patriots and I didn't mean to say that if I did. Now that the punishment has been announced, there are definitely writers who have said the punishment is not justified or consistent with similar past actions. But during the time between the conference championship and the Super Bowl, the volume and tone of the coverage was similar (and, in some case, inaccurate).

BTW, I'm still curious if you think it was reasonable to use two different gauges at halftime of the conference championship and to deliberately change to the second (higher-reading) when measuring the Colts game balls? ;-)

Had he came out and said I have been advised not to give up my phone like you said I could understand but the excuse he gave at the time was I could not give it because of my super model wife. Lame! Especially since they were going to allow his lawyers to filter the information. That just doesn't hold water. I have not heard much about the needles that you speak of so it would be unfair of me to comment since I do not know anything about it. Listen I was actually a pretty big Brady supporter. Back when he come out in the draft I was literally at a draft party begging the Steelers to draft him from the 3rd round on. He was the only guy I wanted that year and instead they take Tee Martin in the 5th. All of my friends later were like how did you know about Brady cause they remember me making a big deal at the time of the draft. and I always thought he was really clutch against Penn State every time he needed to be and I thought he would be better suited for the Steeler offense than Kordell a better Neil ODonnell. But I like sports guys that accept responsibility for losing or whatever. and he needs to own it and not hide behind his wife(the Phone) or have his daddy talk or agent. He needs to man up at this point. and I like most have lost respect for his character. He still is a great competitor.

Had he came out and said I have been advised not to give up my phone like you said I could understand but the excuse he gave at the time was I could not give it because of my super model wife. Lame! Especially since they were going to allow his lawyers to filter the information. That just doesn't hold water. I have not heard much about the needles that you speak of so it would be unfair of me to comment since I do not know anything about it. Listen I was actually a pretty big Brady supporter. Back when he come out in the draft I was literally at a draft party begging the Steelers to draft him from the 3rd round on. He was the only guy I wanted that year and instead they take Tee Martin in the 5th. All of my friends later were like how did you know about Brady cause they remember me making a big deal at the time of the draft. and I always thought he was really clutch against Penn State every time he needed to be and I thought he would be better suited for the Steeler offense than Kordell a better Neil ODonnell. But I like sports guys that accept responsibility for losing or whatever. and he needs to own it and not hide behind his wife(the Phone) or have his daddy talk or agent. He needs to man up at this point. and I like most have lost respect for his character. He still is a great competitor.

If you have a few minutes to spare, here is an excerpt of the Patriots response describing the two different gauges used to measure the Patriots and Colts game balls as quoted on CBS Sports site (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...responds-to-wells-report-three-things-to-know):

1. Debunking science of Wells Report

Below are two excerpts from the annotation related to the science of the Wells Report, which concluded that the Ideal Gas Law would not explain the lower psi in New England's footballs.

The first focuses on the two different gauges used to measure the psi in the footballs, specifically how they each returned different readings, and how after a Colts football measured below regulation on one of the gauges, the league stopped using that gauge and instead relied on the other one, which measured the Colts' footballs to be at or above the lowest regulation level. It also notes the post-game psi measurements of the footballs of both teams.

“Using two different gauges (one of which was used for pre-game psi measurements), the League tested only four Colts footballs at halftime. Three of those footballs measured below regulation on the so-called “non-Logo” gauge. Four measured at or above regulation on the so-called “Logo” gauge. One Colts football averaged below regulation when taking into account both gauges. As soon as that fourth Colts football was measured, League personnel stopped any further gauging of Colts footballs. Relying on the higher Logo gauge measurements of the Colts football, League officials decided not to add air to any of the Colts footballs. Additional measurements using the same two gauges were made post-game. Post-game, each of the four Patriots footballs measured were well above the required level of 12.5 psi on both gauges (including one that had been overinflated to 13.65 on the Logo gauge). Three of the four Colts footballs measured below 12.5 psi on the non-Logo gauge (a violation of League rules), one measured below 12.5 psi on both gauges (also a violation), and three Colts footballs measured above 12.5 on the Logo gauge.”
The second section related to the science focuses again on the two different gauges, and also on referee Walt Anderson and his recollection of which gauge was used at which time.

"The most fundamental issue in this matter is: DOES SCIENCE EXPLAIN THE LOSS OF PSI IN THE PATRIOTS FOOTBALLS? That issue turns on what psi numbers are used for the psi levels pre-game and at halftime. Those numbers will show the amount of lost psi. Given the gauges varied from each other, the only relevant halftime psi measurements are those shown by the gauge that was used pre-game. One gauge, referred to as the Logo gauge, was consistently .3 to .45 psi higher in its measurements than the non-Logo gauge. Referee Walt Anderson, who was alerted to psi issues before the game, has a detailed recollection of the unrecorded psi levels of the 48 footballs he gauged pre-game — essentially 12.5 for the Patriots footballs and 13.0 or 13.1 for the Colts footballs. His Recollection of those pre-game psi levels is one of the foundations of this report. MR. ANDERSON SPECIFICALLY RECALLS THAT HE USED THE LOGO GAUGE FOR THESE PRE-GAME MEASUREMENTS (pg. 52). (This is the only recollection of Mr. Anderson that the report rejects.) Therefore, the Logo gauge numbers are the correct numbers to use for halftime psi. The investigators did rely on those Logo gauge halftime psi numbers in dealing with the Colts footballs. Using that gauge, all the Colts footballs were within regulation. That justified the officials not adding air to them. However, when assessing the Patriots footballs, the investigators reject Anderson's best recollection that he used the Logo gauge pre-game, and instead look to the larger psi drop that is shown by the lower psi, non-Logo gauge."
Basically, the responses state that the gauge which gave higher measurements was used as the definitive measurement for the Colts' footballs, while the gauge that gave lower measurements was used as the definitive measurement for the Patriots' footballs, because the league rejected Anderson's assertion that he used the higher-measuring gauge.

did you guys read/see the Kraft interview with Peter King. He looked like a fool, even worse than brady.

Let's be clear about this - the pats**** DO cheat...this has already been proven multiple times. The rest of the league is tired of the fact that they are good enough to win without cheating, and yet they persist to continue to not trust that their apparent skill is enough to win. THAT is a culture! The ONLY envy I have for the organization is that I wish our BoT would have stood up for our school the way Kraft & co. have stood up for theirs (rediculous as their excuses may be).

Brady lied and got caught. Lying and getting caught is the worst thing you can do in these situations as you lose credibility. Brady and the Patriots should keep their mouths shut, accept the 4 games/fine, etc before they look even worse.

If the Patriots did nothing wrong, why did they suspend the two ball boys?
Those two ball boys might have an interesting story to sell on TV. The Pats better be careful in their treatment of those young men.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT