ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon recommendations...

CF LION

May 29, 2001
A good friend is turning 50 today. He's a discerning bourbon drinker so I'd like to get him a bottle of something he'd appreciate. I'm a wine guy and not up on my bourbons.

Suggestions?

A good friend is turning 50 today. He's a discerning bourbon drinker so I'd like to get him a bottle of something he'd appreciate. I'm a wine guy and not up on my bourbons.

Suggestions?
What is your budget for this guy?

Suggestions?

Be wary of some the startup bourbon distillers, not saying they are bad just saying they charge alot.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Dunmo...couple a hundred for something worth it
If you're in PA you're probably going to have to special order if you're willing to spend that much. Also, spending a couple hundred on a bottle in PA can be difficult as there isn't a ton of markup to cover allocation buys like there can be in other places but it also means that you have to participate in the lottery for it. A couple of years ago I got a bottle of Van Winkle for $89 from PLCB.

The Premium stores have a good selection but usually none of the top end stuff.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and MWes11
If you're in PA you're probably going to have to special order if you're willing to spend that much. Also, spending a couple hundred on a bottle in PA can be difficult as there isn't a ton of markup to cover allocation buys like there can be in other places but it also means that you have to participate in the lottery for it. A couple of years ago I got a bottle of Van Winkle for $89 from PLCB.

The Premium stores have a good selection but usually none of the top end stuff.

I have easy access to both DE and NJ. Usually buy my wine in those states.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Suggestions?

Legent is excellent. Pappy VanWinkle is maybe the best but can cost hundreds and even thousands depending upon which one you select.

Dunno...couple a hundred for something worth it

Maybe something like Angel's Envy Cask Strength, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Elijah Craig 23-year, or Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch Bourbon. All from about $140 - $199, though you can spend a lot less and still get a really nice bottle.

Legent is excellent. Pappy VanWinkle is maybe the best but can cost hundreds and even thousands depending upon which one you select.
I'm a big fan of Legent. About $50.

There are few bourbons on the market as good as Angel's Envy, finished in Oloroso sherry casks, for about $400. Trust me, it's hard to find, and it has to be finished in Oloroso sherry casks, but it's better than Pappy. I have about 4 different bottles of Pappy in my bar, and I would rather drink Angel's Envy instead.

Reactions: AWS1022

There are few bourbons on the market as good as Angel's Envy, finished in Oloroso sherry casks, for about $400. Trust me, it's hard to find, and it has to be finished in Oloroso sherry casks, but it's better than Pappy. I have about 4 different bottles of Pappy in my bar, and I would rather drink Angel's Envy instead.

$400 for Angel’s Envy?

Reactions: BrucePa
The Oloroso cask finish is very rare, and released in limited numbers about twice a year. It's worth every penny.

Just looked this up - saw a bottle for $899. Will have to keep an eye out for the Virginia ABC lotteries - can get Van Winkle 23 year for $299 if you win.

Your location?

Reactions: BrucePa
Weller
EH Taylor
Stagg Jr.
Blantons
Eagle Rare

All very hard to find, though. I have Weller and EH Taylor if you want me to ship them to you and we can cut a deal. LMK.

Suggestions?

I like 4 Roses small batch, Eagle Rare (10), Russell's Reserve 10 yr, and Woodford Reserve. My wife is Angel's Envy
Together we're sharing a nice bottle of Woodinville Straight Bourbon from the state of Washington. These are all in the $40-50 range. For the non KY/TN region Garrison Brothers from Texas is a unique quality one but closer to $90

I like 4 Roses small batch, Eagle Rare (10), Russell's Reserve 10 yr, and Woodford Reserve. My wife is Angel's Envy
Together we're sharing a nice bottle of Woodinville Straight Bourbon from the state of Washington. These are all in the $40-50 range. For the non KY/TN region Garrison Brothers from Texas is a unique quality one but closer to $90

I'd add High West Distillery expressions from Park City, Utah; really good stuff. The Bourye and Campfire Whiskey are solid.

10215922663454.png

Weller
EH Taylor
Stagg Jr.
Blantons
Eagle Rare

All very hard to find, though. I have Weller and EH Taylor if you want me to ship them to you and we can cut a deal. LMK.

All the Buffalo Trace is completely gone in PA, at least in my area.

Most of the high end stuff in the BT lineup only exists in theory it seems. Love the Weller 107 personally (used to find it in Texas during my travels) but never in the northeast.

Reactions: MWes11 and BrucePa
Lots of great bottles suggested, but highly unlikely you will ever find them.

For stuff you can find at most decent stores I would go with a 4 Roses single barrel, something from High West or Henry McKenna 10 year (although that is almost impossible these days too).

For something a bit different try Pikesville Rye. In a barely legal rye at 51% and really good and well priced.

All the Buffalo Trace is completely gone in PA, at least in my area.

Most of the high end stuff in the BT lineup only exists in theory it seems. Love the Weller 107 personally (used to find it in Texas during my travels) but never in the northeast.
I have had some luck finding Buffalo Trace at liquorama.net

Reactions: diontechristmas
EHT would be the best pick you can find.
Woodford is readily available and quality.
Bookers may be able to find and if you can get Boston or Granny's batch they are solid.
But for my money the best I can buy right now is High West Bourye

ADVERTISEMENT