ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bluetooth Speakers, Loudspeakers, Pandemic Life, BWI Friends....

BoulderFish

Oct 31, 2016
BWI Friends,

Some of you may have seen a post or two from me over the past 12 months where which I elude to my wife’s business and our situation created by all the covid-related restrictions (and how PPP $$ was essentially a joke because she/we didn’t yet have any employees).

If not, long-story short, she started an Etsy business making a product that’s used almost exclusively at events. The business blew up throughout 2019, and in February of 2020 we signed a lease on some commercial production space for her business. Well, you can imagine how many of these products she actually ended up producing in the space.

In an effort to try to generate some income from the commercial space for which we were now paying rent, about the time late summer rolled around, I had the idea of building nice, high-quality Bluetooth speakers for all of the new “home offices” being decked out.

The problem was, to construct them (by hand, nicely), it takes time -- And such, for me to sell these at a price where it makes sense, they can’t just sound "pretty good." They need to sound damn good. Like, better than any other Bluetooth speakers of the same size. It doesn't matter how nicely they look, if they don't sound fantastic, they're of no value.

So, I spent the next six’ish months living the life of a mad scientist, researching and developing technologies that would allow my speakers to sound better than any other speaker of a given size. I now know more than I ever thought I would about the fluid dynamics of loudspeaker ports, but from all of that mad scientist R&D, I now have a couple innovations that give my speakers advantages others don’t have – Innovations that allow my speakers to produce frequency responses as if they’re bigger than they are. Simultaneously, I'm trying to protect these innovations with patents.

With that, I’m now turning my attention to getting them in hands so that I can hopefully build up a base of product reviews on my website. My wife said, "why don't you offer some of your 'BWI friends' a discount?" -- LOL, good idea! So, if any of you guys are interested in either a high fidelity Bluetooth speaker, or a set of high fidelity loudspeakers, hit me up at hitusup@kaz-audio.com, mention who you are (BWI screen name), and I’ll generate a 50% off discount code for you to use on my website. You can also use that email to ask me any questions, or you can ask me questions here on this thread. Oh, the website is: https://kaz-audio.com/ -- And I’m very aware that it kinda looks like crap right now. 😊 As with most businesses, the website has gotten the least attention as I’ve been focusing on the products.

Lastly, if you take me up on this, and are sincerely not happy with the product (after 30 days, but before 90 days), you can ship the product back to me and I’ll give you your money back.

Oh, one other thing... I have no clue how many of you, if any, will be interested, but in the off chance I start getting too many orders at 50% off, I might have to limit how many of these discount codes I give out. I will edit this post if that ends up being the case.

I admire your entrepreneurship, but after viewing your product design, I think I'll pass. You need to hire a good design person....your speakers look like mini-space heaters with really coarse-looking covers. You also need to find cover material that actually hides the speaker components.

I also dislike that you decided to use rigid mechanical couplings (i.e. turnbuckles) for vibration dampening and that you pre-populated your with website with obviously biased/fake reviews from the likes of "Ben", "Lee", and "Cheryl" :rolleyes:

Now if a reviewer named "Fabian" were to give your product 5 Stars, I might be inclined to purchase :cool:

Last edited:
BWI Friends,

Some of you may have seen a post or two from me over the past 12 months where which I elude to my wife’s business and our situation created by all the covid-related restrictions (and how PPP $$ was essentially a joke because she/we didn’t yet have any employees).

If not, long-story short, she started an Etsy business making a product that’s used almost exclusively at events. The business blew up throughout 2019, and in February of 2020 we signed a lease on some commercial production space for her business. Well, you can imagine how many of these products she actually ended up producing in the space.

In an effort to try to generate some income from the commercial space for which we were now paying rent, about the time late summer rolled around, I had the idea of building nice, high-quality Bluetooth speakers for all of the new “home offices” being decked out.

The problem was, to construct them (by hand, nicely), it takes time -- And such, for me to sell these at a price where it makes sense, they can’t just sound "pretty good." They need to sound damn good. Like, better than any other Bluetooth speakers of the same size. It doesn't matter how nicely they look, if they don't sound fantastic, they're of no value.

So, I spent the next six’ish months living the life of a mad scientist, researching and developing technologies that would allow my speakers to sound better than any other speaker of a given size. I now know more than I ever thought I would about the fluid dynamics of loudspeaker ports, but from all of that mad scientist R&D, I now have a couple innovations that give my speakers advantages others don’t have – Innovations that allow my speakers to produce frequency responses as if they’re bigger than they are. Simultaneously, I'm trying to protect these innovations with patents.

With that, I’m now turning my attention to getting them in hands so that I can hopefully build up a base of product reviews on my website. My wife said, "why don't you offer some of your 'BWI friends' a discount?" -- LOL, good idea! So, if any of you guys are interested in either a high fidelity Bluetooth speaker, or a set of high fidelity loudspeakers, hit me up at hitusup@kaz-audio.com, mention who you are (BWI screen name), and I’ll generate a 50% off discount code for you to use on my website. You can also use that email to ask me any questions, or you can ask me questions here on this thread. Oh, the website is: https://kaz-audio.com/ -- And I’m very aware that it kinda looks like crap right now. 😊 As with most businesses, the website has gotten the least attention as I’ve been focusing on the products.

Lastly, if you take me up on this, and are sincerely not happy with the product (after 30 days, but before 90 days), you can ship the product back to me and I’ll give you your money back.

Oh, one other thing... I have no clue how many of you, if any, will be interested, but in the off chance I start getting too many orders at 50% off, I might have to limit how many of these discount codes I give out. I will edit this post if that ends up being the case.
What is difference between say the NY style and the South Beach or Chicago style. The pics on my phone look the same

What is difference between say the NY style and the South Beach or Chicago style. The pics on my phone look the same

Yeah, I don't have pics of each speaker in each style yet. Here is a page that shows and describes each color style:

Reactions: sluggo72
BWI Friends,

I like them. I will send you an email when I'm back home.

Also I think it is allude not elude.

LdN

Reactions: BoulderFish
BWI Friends,

Does it have the TK421? I talked to your salesman about that - he was a fan..

Seriously - these are cool. Might buy one.

Last edited:
How are they powered? Rechargeable? 110v? Or not powered ( the Bluetooth)

I would suggest placing controls on back or create a wood cover that flips up....or down....or sideways......to hide the controls. Of course, any movable part could cause vibration issues so on the back might be best.

Good luck. That’s a cut throat industry.

I also dislike that you decided to use rigid mechanical couplings (i.e. turnbuckles) for vibration dampening and that you pre-populated your with website with obviously biased/fake reviews from the likes of "Ben", "Lee", and "Cheryl" :rolleyes:

I get that weak troll attempts are your thing, but this one doesn't even kinda make sense.

The whole reason for the 50% off discount is, as I said, to get them in hands to build a review base. At 50% off, I'm basically building them for free. If I were willing to just post fake reviews, why would I waste my time building the products for free to get reviews?

Try a little harder, phyrsty.

Bless you for the plug! It's gotten two reader awards from indy-published groups (Chill With a Book, and IndyBRAG), so it can't be too terrible. ;)

I read both of your other two books and I enjoyed both a lot.

This one just got behind me with my move and young ones, I bought it a year ago, but I'm certain it will be excellent.

LdN

Definitely not trying to be a jerk, although it does come naturally, but doesn't something in this sentence jump right out at you?
"Kaz Port proprietary port technology that makes that thought-to-be impossible deep BASE possible from a loudspeaker this compact."
I'm pretty sure that you weren't referring to the bottom of the speaker cabinet there... I would rather hear the BASS than see the BASE.
I wil admit to being intrigued by the Model 28's.

Definitely not trying to be a jerk, although it does come naturally, but doesn't something in this sentence jump right out at you?
"Kaz Port proprietary port technology that makes that thought-to-be impossible deep BASE possible from a loudspeaker this compact."
I'm pretty sure that you weren't referring to the bottom of the speaker cabinet there... I would rather hear the BASS than see the BASE.
I wil admit to being intrigued by the Model 28's.

I have sent your feedback over to the copy department with a scathing email.

Copy department quickly replied that the mistake has been fixed, and they were probably very tired at the time they wrote that. Also, they asked me to let you know that your "wil" should actually be spelled "will."

BWI Friends,

I like the look of them and the retro feel.
Nice work.

I like the look of them and the retro feel.
Nice work.

Thanks.

When I was renovating a house (investment property) a few years ago, I found a set of KLH Model Fifteens in the attic (pic below). I really dug the simple, retro - and mid-century mod - look of them, and they have become the visual inspiration for my speakers.

bqvm4nstifc8wwspwpql.jpg

@BoulderFish I would also focus on a portable Bluetooth speaker for golf, beach, pool, etc. I am probably younger than most BWI members but this is all my friends buy. Think JBL Charge/Flip type speaker. Clearly you are targeting a different demographic with the speakers you have already designed but this is a huge market.

@BoulderFish I would also focus on a portable Bluetooth speaker for golf, beach, pool, etc. I am probably younger than most BWI members but this is all my friends buy. Think JBL Charge/Flip type speaker. Clearly you are targeting a different demographic with the speakers you have already designed but this is a huge market.
This. When I hear the phrase "Bluetooth Speaker" I think of a portable one with a rechargeable battery. I have a small Ultimate Ears Wonderboom and I love it. The sound quality is good enough for what I want, it's loud enough for my use cases, it's portable, holds a decent charge and it's rugged and waterproof. This is almost certainly not in the same universe as these for sound quality though. This seems targeted at a different market... wireless audiophile quality home speakers, which isn't something that interests me personally.

BWI Friends,

Keeping in mind that determining sound quality of speakers is more about perception than science, how much "better" are your speakers compared to similar-sized Sonos, Bose, Definitive Technology, etc. which typically offer more in the way of app control and compatibility with Alexa, Google Home, and others at a lesser cost?

Last edited:
I want to upgrade my speakers but man I have a hard time trying to get any useful comparisons to what I already have. Audio source, room size, how does one accurately compare?

So I just keep upgrading the software.

Keeping in mind that determining sound quality of speakers is more about perception than science, how much "better" are your speakers compared to similar-sized Sonos, Bose, Definitive Technology, etc. which typically offer more in the way of app control and compatibility with Alexa, Google Home, and others at a lesser cost?

Because you mention app control, Alexa, etc., I think it's safe to assume you're referring to the Bluetooth speakers. Obviously I can't quantify a how much better they are, but why I would feel confident putting mine up against similar sized Sonos, Bose, etc., is because I have discovered/developed new ways to extend and get more accurate low frequencies from these small speakers -- And for most people, assuming the mids and highs are relatively similar between speakers, it's those low frequencies (< 200Hz) that really drive comparisons.

Without going into too much detail, here are the two developments that give my speakers the advantage with low frequencies:

1) Ports give the loudspeaker engineer the ability to extend the usable frequency range down lower. The cabinet engineer "tunes" (determine a diameter and length based upon the cabinet volume and certain performance parameters describing the drivers in the cabinet) the port to reinforce a particular band that is only about 10-15Hz wide. The problem is, for a given driver and a given frequency that you want to reinforce, as you shrink the cabinet volume, the length of the port has to be longer. So, if you want to use a port to tune to a particular frequency, there is a limit to how small the cabinet can be. Well, I have discovered a way to tune to a particular frequency with a shorter port (with same diameter), and that allows me to tune my port to a lower frequency (given equal cabinet volumes) than others with the same cabinet volume, and thus extend the usable frequency response lower than can they.

2) In small (short) cabinets like many Bluetooth speakers, the size of the woofer/driver is limited by the height of the speaker. So, for a speaker like mine that is only 4" tall, the woofer/drivers are limited to 3" cones. That's obviously really going to limit how low the frequency response can go. But what I do, since there's more depth to work with, is utilize a 6" down-fired woofer/driver. With a lot more surface area, you can get much lower usable frequencies.
"Why can only you do that, though" you ask? Well, others actually do do this too, but they can only down-fire in the "subwoofer" frequency range (< 150-180Hz). The explanation as to why I can down-fire a wider (and higher) frequency range involves too much fluid dynamics for this post, plus I'm still working on the patent material and don't want to say too much. But how this translates into better sound compared to Bluetooth speakers that work similarly - down-fire the low frequencies, then have the front speakers handle the rest of the frequency range - is that since my down-fire can accurately deliver a wider (higher upper limit) frequency range, I can cross-over to the smaller front speakers at a higher frequency, and that takes stress off of them because they don't have to be the woofer too. They can just focus on being the mid-range and tweeter.

Sonos and Bose Bluetooth speakers are going to have more app features for the foreseeable future. But from purely a sound perspective, if comparing similarly sized speakers, mine will blow them away. And on top of all of that, mine are pieces of art. They are mass produced from plastic in China. :)

Reactions: hlstone and BBrown
I want to upgrade my speakers but man I have a hard time trying to get any useful comparisons to what I already have. Audio source, room size, how does one accurately compare?

So I just keep upgrading the software.

Not really sure what you're asking here.

Not really sure what you're asking here.

I wasn't really asking you anything, just commenting on my hesitation to ever buy new audio gear. I would like to have better speakers but it's so hard to determine that in my room with my gear and records, you know? I'm not really dissatisfied right now either. Things I would be looking to improve upon are kind of esoteric at this point.

I guess it sounds kind of anti-speaker buying but I didn't mean it that way. I think about this often because I spend decent money on new records but not much on new hardware. I listen to music on my main system for a large portion of the day these days.

I think what you are doing is really cool and interesting and I wish you good fortune.

I suppose having any Sonos compatibility is a completely different step? As you may, or may not know, I collect old northern soul and reggae records and have dj'd big dance parties in williamsburg back in the day and even down in Jamaica as of two years ago. Having a little one in the household now means I hide my nice records because SHE DESTROYS ALL!!!!! (but I love her anyway)

But we use Sonos for our speakers because my wife likes to use spotify but I like to use my turntables. (they go into the sonos system)

I have sent your feedback over to the copy department with a scathing email.

Copy department quickly replied that the mistake has been fixed, and they were probably very tired at the time they wrote that. Also, they asked me to let you know that your "wil" should actually be spelled "will."
I have smacked the spelling offender in the forehead and received the proper "oof" in response. No more spelling mistakes will be tolerated...until the next one.
Good luck with your sale/project.

Because you mention app control, Alexa, etc., I think it's safe to assume you're referring to the Bluetooth speakers. Obviously I can't quantify a how much better they are, but why I would feel confident putting mine up against similar sized Sonos, Bose, etc., is because I have discovered/developed new ways to extend and get more accurate low frequencies from these small speakers -- And for most people, assuming the mids and highs are relatively similar between speakers, it's those low frequencies (< 200Hz) that really drive comparisons.

Without going into too much detail, here are the two developments that give my speakers the advantage with low frequencies:

1) Ports give the loudspeaker engineer the ability to extend the usable frequency range down lower. The cabinet engineer "tunes" (determine a diameter and length based upon the cabinet volume and certain performance parameters describing the drivers in the cabinet) the port to reinforce a particular band that is only about 10-15Hz wide. The problem is, for a given driver and a given frequency that you want to reinforce, as you shrink the cabinet volume, the length of the port has to be longer. So, if you want to use a port to tune to a particular frequency, there is a limit to how small the cabinet can be. Well, I have discovered a way to tune to a particular frequency with a shorter port (with same diameter), and that allows me to tune my port to a lower frequency (given equal cabinet volumes) than others with the same cabinet volume, and thus extend the usable frequency response lower than can they.

2) In small (short) cabinets like many Bluetooth speakers, the size of the woofer/driver is limited by the height of the speaker. So, for a speaker like mine that is only 4" tall, the woofer/drivers are limited to 3" cones. That's obviously really going to limit how low the frequency response can go. But what I do, since there's more depth to work with, is utilize a 6" down-fired woofer/driver. With a lot more surface area, you can get much lower usable frequencies.
"Why can only you do that, though" you ask? Well, others actually do do this too, but they can only down-fire in the "subwoofer" frequency range (< 150-180Hz). The explanation as to why I can down-fire a wider (and higher) frequency range involves too much fluid dynamics for this post, plus I'm still working on the patent material and don't want to say too much. But how this translates into better sound compared to Bluetooth speakers that work similarly - down-fire the low frequencies, then have the front speakers handle the rest of the frequency range - is that since my down-fire can accurately deliver a wider (higher upper limit) frequency range, I can cross-over to the smaller front speakers at a higher frequency, and that takes stress off of them because they don't have to be the woofer too. They can just focus on being the mid-range and tweeter.

Sonos and Bose Bluetooth speakers are going to have more app features for the foreseeable future. But from purely a sound perspective, if comparing similarly sized speakers, mine will blow them away. And on top of all of that, mine are pieces of art. They are mass produced from plastic in China. :)

Comparing the 26BTS specs at $499 with the Sonos Move at $399 with battery power and other features.

Sonos cabinet volume is 295 ci, yours 697 ci.
Sonos frequency response 49-18.5k, yours 55-20k

So the bass frequency is lower and the cabinet is about half the size (based on some dead space and wood thickness it looks like yours is really less than 697 ci) I don't own one so I don't know how it sounds, have you actually compared yours to this one to get a real-world comparison? Not trying to bust your chops here, but you're making some big claims.

Boulder, you didn't ask but I'm going to comment on filing patents from my experiences. Ideas are NOT patentable. Solutions to an idea are patentable and the more specific the solution the stronger the patent. There is the problem as specific solutions are easy for competitors to "work-around" and essentially steal your idea/solution with a minor modification. For example, if the ideal angle on a member were 31 +- 1 degrees for which you patented the invention a competitor could select an "advertised" angle of 32+- .5 degrees which would defeat your patent. So, after you make your claims in for the primary inventions, continue on with "alternate" designs until you can not come up with any. Make any tolerances wide enough that anything outside the range won't work, etc, etc. If your design is really better you'll thank me later.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Boulder, you didn't ask but I'm going to comment on filing patents from my experiences. Ideas are NOT patentable. Solutions to an idea are patentable and the more specific the solution the stronger the patent. There is the problem as specific solutions are easy for competitors to "work-around" and essentially steal your idea/solution with a minor modification. For example, if the ideal angle on a member were 31 +- 1 degrees for which you patented the invention a competitor could select an "advertised" angle of 32+- .5 degrees which would defeat your patent. So, after you make your claims in for the primary inventions, continue on with "alternate" designs until you can not come up with any. Make any tolerances wide enough that anything outside the range won't work, etc, etc. If your design is really better you'll thank me later.
Patent law is one of the most complex and difficult according to lawyers I know. And there are companies that monitor every filing to see what they can steal....er.....alter. Do your paper work very complete before initial filing.

The more I think about it, some type of trademark filing would probably provide better protection. That's a lot of speakers that would need to be sold before fighting a patent infringement case would make financial sense. Also, you might want to ditch the pics of the internal hardware. Just discuss it like its some type of new mystery. While you're at it, you might want to contact some influential reviewers on AV sites and see if they are willing to review your products.

Another thing about patents, you're essentially telling your competition what the most important things are. Some things are best kept as unpublished trade secrets.

ADVERTISEMENT