ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Black Panther

I'll make the bold claim that he is the best actor to play a Marvel villain

but he is both chilling and pathetic. such a rich, layered, unrepentant evil little man

That is bold sir! You get a better sense of villains with the Netflix shows - D'Onofrio as Kingpin and even Ben Barnes in Punisher as the future Jigsaw were both really compelling in a way you can't get with a movie; Hela was awesome in Ragnarok but she doesn't get a lot of room to breathe. Really looking forward to Killmonger though.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
That is bold sir! You get a better sense of villains with the Netflix shows - D'Onofrio as Kingpin and even Ben Barnes in Punisher as the future Jigsaw were both really compelling in a way you can't get with a movie; Hela was awesome in Ragnarok but she doesn't get a lot of room to breathe. Really looking forward to Killmonger though.

oh man, when he finally takes of his shirt . . . swoooooooooon!

Seriously though, props to Michael B Jordan. He had a boxer's body for Creed, but knew he had to bulk up his upper body for BP. He said in an interview he knew he'd be shirtless on an 80ft IMAX screen so he needed to work it, LOL.

BTW does disney now own Marvel, just tried to look up their stock symbol?

BP becomes first film since Avatar to win the weekend box office 5 weeks in a row:

LINK

Worldwide box office gross now at $1.182 B. B. as in BILLION

Black Panther passes The Avengers to become highest grossing super hero movie in U.S. at $631 MM

Ranks #5 all time domestic gross, #12 international

Ok...what's the over/under on Infinity Wars?

well Marvel is releasing it a week early (apr 27), and it looks like it will have 3 solid weeks unopposed by any blockbusters (Deadpool 2 on May 18. and Solo on May 25)

Black Panther grossed $520 million in its first 3 weeks. also interesting to note that BP so far has 49% of its worldwide gross overseas, while Avengers hit 59%, and Ultron notched 67% . . .

I'm going to say $800 million domestic, $1.7 billion worldwide

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Finally saw it - not sure if expectations were too high but I felt it a bit underwhelming. Thor was immensely more entertaining and original. I loved what I saw don’t get me wrong - but didn’t live up to the ridiculous hype. Need to see more though but for me a B-.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
I saw it recently too. Thought it was a good super hero movie but I’m afraid I don’t get the hype either. I think a lot had to do with the predominantly black cast because otherwise its just a good movie - nothing special. Thought Michael B. Jordan’s performance was rather flat. Didn’t believe a word he said and it’s the job of an actor to make me believe. The other actors were all great - Black Panther, beefcake Gollum, Watson, etc.

I’m more of a cerebral movie person and also a fan of historical dramas. BP was a very formulaic super hero movie. Loved The Darkest Hour (brilliant performance by one of his generations greatest actors - Gary Oldman), Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049 - too slow and nuanced for most of the movie going public.

Last edited:
I saw it recently too. Thought it was a good super hero movie but I’m afraid I don’t get the hype either. I think a lot had to do with the predominantly black cast because otherwise its just a good movie - nothing special. Thought Michael B. Jordan’s performance was rather flat. Didn’t believe a word he said and it’s the job of an actor to make me believe. The other actors were all great - Black Panther, beefcake Gollum, Watson, etc.

I’m more of a cerebral movie person and also a fan of historical dramas. BP was a very formulaic super hero movie. Loved The Darkest Hour (brilliant performance by one of his generations greatest actors - Gary Oldman), Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049 - too slow and nuanced for most of the movie going public.

It’s important from a diversity standpoint - and they did a great job with the character and lore. But, he’s mostly Black Iron Man complete with his own Jarvis (sister). They need to step it up IMO - Ragnaroj was incredible.

Haven’t seen Ragnorak yet. Looking forward to it but someone did tell me they thought it was too jokey. Not sure about Infinity Wars. That’s going to be A LOT of characters to juggle in one movie.

BP passed Jurassic World to become the 4th highest grossing film in the US. It lags behind Titanic by $7 million for 3rd place

Worldwide, it is now the 10th highest grossing film

BP passed Jurassic World to become the 4th highest grossing film in the US. It lags behind Titanic by $7 million for 3rd place

Worldwide, it is now the 10th highest grossing film

Wow, impressive. But, it's not that good. Neither was Titanic, sooooo.......guess it doesn't matter. :)

Haven’t seen Ragnorak yet. Looking forward to it but someone did tell me they thought it was too jokey. Not sure about Infinity Wars. That’s going to be A LOT of characters to juggle in one movie.

The elevate the humor for sure, and there are some definite joke beats, but it works really well with Thor and Hulk. Thor's aloofness is exploited to great effect and the movie is just a lot of fun.

ADVERTISEMENT