ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Billy Joel

The Entertainer

"It was a beautiful song but it ran too long ..." "so they cut it down to 3:05" (the single length of "Piano Man"--and the length also listed on the single of "The Entertainer"). Piano Man was one of the first records I owned. My sister thought I would like it and gave it to me as a present. She was right.

I can't believe any of the die hard long time PSU fans didn't mention "Time to Remember" This is the song NBC signed off with to highlights of the 1987 Fiesta Bowl as PSU beat Miami 14-10. I still get chills thinking about that night every time I hear this song. Billy Joel is a sound track of my life for the first four decades.

Reactions: MaconNitt and PSU87
I was not a big Billy Joel fan, my wife is. I surprised her a couple of years ago on our anniversary to see him at Madison Square Garden. Did the whole New York thing, no kids, nice weekend... What a showman. He was Fantastic. Not to make this political, but just a really cool we were there moment. We saw a bunch of guys in suits come in floor level, we were wondering what was going on, then made out Bill & Hillary sliding in from a side entrance. During Piano Man, when the lyrics “Man, what are you doing here.” Billy pointed to Bill and/or Hilliard. Just a pretty cool unexpected thing for us to be there in the crowd not far from a former president. As well as getting to see one heck of a musician play a kick ass show.

Downeastern Alexa, Honesty, Matter of trust

Downeastern Alexa is great. I like almost any/every Billy Joel song, but one that I never hear mentioned that I really like is James.

I asked him at "an evening with Billy Joel and a little music" (or something like that) that I attended while at PSU if James was a real person/friend, and he said that James is a bit of a few of his childhood friends.

In case anyone was wondering. :)

Piano Man. Then Allentown.

As an aside, who was the best/your favorite 80s-era adult contemporary performer?

Elton John
Billy Joel
Phil Collins
Sting
Lionel Ritchie
Rod Stewart
Kenny Loggins
Hall & Oates
Bryan Adams

Because I was (am) a Billy Joel fan, I went to the Billy Joel / Elton John show at Three Rivers.

I was there to see Billy Joel, but IMO Elton John crushed that show.

My answer would be one of those guys.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Until the Night, Goodnight Saigon and of course Piano Man

There are a few songs that no matter how many times I've heard it I'm going to listen very carefully every time.
One of these is Piano Man and another one is Taxi.

On Until the Night, Billy sings both parts, trying to sound like the Righteous Brothers

I go flying so high...........when I’m stoned. Always loved that song.

Below is the title cut from The Stranger. This song was overlooked at the time but I like it a lot.

What else was on that album?

"Just The Way You Are" -- I haven't listen to this song in a long time because it got overplayed but I recall it being quite good.

"Movin' Out" -- Excellent.

"Vienna" -- Excellent. I liked that song a lot already but its popularity got a boost when the TV sitcom"Taxi" featured it prominently."

"She's Always A Woman" -- Okay.

"Only The Good Die Young" -- Excellent

"Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" -- Excellent and I would vote for this best song in his whole catalog. The 8-track I had (and actually it was bought by one of my older brothers...a lot of "my" music was music that my older brothers brought into the house and I am grateful) faded out and cut off at the end of Track 3 and then faded back in at the start of Track 4. It's hard to believe they used to sell music that way, but that song was so good that it didn't matter.

"Get It Right The First Time" -- I haven't heard it for a long time but I recall it being pretty good.

"Everybody Has A Dream" -- So-so.

The Stranger. Great album and great song. Here it is.

Even though I'm of Austrian decent I'll pick Budapest by George Ezra over Vienna.

My favorite is "Uptown Girl". Love the music video too with Christy riding off with him on the cycle.

He has a few homes on Long Island. One in Centre Island up the street from Sean Hannity where he stores all his cycles. The other is in Sag Harbor across from the marina which has been undergoing a complete makeover for more than a year now. Here's a few pics of the one in Sag

IMG-1711.jpg

IMG-1723.jpg

My favorite is "Uptown Girl". Love the music video too with Christy riding off with him on the cycle.

He has a few homes on Long Island. One in Centre Island up the street from Sean Hannity where he stores all his cycles. The other is in Sag Harbor across from the marina which has been undergoing a complete makeover for more than a year now. Here's a few pics of the one in Sag

IMG-1711.jpg

IMG-1723.jpg

What are all those things hanging off the back of the house? It looks kind of creepy.

Reactions: BBrown
Yeah I remember the church being upset about that one.
He could have used any conservative Christian religion. So, he used Catholic, which for the most part is not ultra conservative. I went to Catholic school and he was wrong in saying the girls started late. That would be my only criticism.

Absolutely a massive talent as evidenced by the wide variety of favorite songs listed in this thread. For me though, he gave off a vibe as a cocky AH. That ruins it to some degree. I enjoyed his offerings though.

Absolutely a massive talent as evidenced by the wide variety of favorite songs listed in this thread. For me though, he gave off a vibe as a cocky AH. That ruins it to some degree. I enjoyed his offerings though.
I was always disappointed when I read stuff about his falling out with Liberty DeVitto, his former drummer, that made me think that he’s extremely full of himself. Though my wife is a huge fan, and always gets mad if I say anything negative about him. :)

I love XTC. Saw a documentary on them a few years ago. Very small town band story. Clever song writing.

Me too. Drums and Wires is probably my favorite, Complicated Game rocks.
Skylarking is excellent and while I like the song Dear God, I never thought if felt right on that album.
I'm not sure what Todd Rundgren was thinking. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT