ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Billy Joel

Until the Night, Goodnight Saigon and of course Piano Man

There are a few songs that no matter how many times I've heard it I'm going to listen very carefully every time.
One of these is Piano Man and another one is Taxi.

On Until the Night, Billy sings both parts, trying to sound like the Righteous Brothers

The Stranger and Nylon Curtain are my two favorite albums.

Italian Restaurant is probably my single favorite song. She's Right On Time and Laura from Nylon Curtain are really good. Piano Man is kind of a cliche from overplay at this point, but it is a really good tune.

Others I like:

Movin' Out
All For Leyna
Zanzibar
The Stranger
Only The Good Die Young
Vienna
Angry Young Man
My Life
Sleeping With The Televsion On
Allentown

I'm sure there are more I've forgotten.

I read once that "Laura" was about his Mother (the rhythm of Laura and Mother are the same so that makes sense). In light of that the lyrics take on new meaning, basically that his mother is a handful.

I consider Joel to be like MASH. Early on he was great. But when he passed that point he is brutal to me. For a favorite I’ll go with Zanzibar.

Last edited:
Vienna is my favorite song.

What says you?

Allentown because I live in Allentown. I realize that it wasn't the best portrayal, but it gave the city recognition. I remember that our mayor at the time, Joe Daddona, asked for royalties.

Last edited:
Piano Man. Then Allentown.

As an aside, who was the best/your favorite 80s-era adult contemporary performer?

Elton John
Billy Joel
Phil Collins
Sting
Lionel Ritchie
Rod Stewart
Kenny Loggins
Hall & Oates
Bryan Adams

Vienna is my favorite song.

What says you?
Slow down you crazy child

There are so many great Billy Joel songs. Piano Man, NY State of Mind, My Life, Only the Good Die Young, We Didn't Start the Fire, and Uptown Girl are some of my favorites.

My number 1 is You're my Home. My wife and I listened to that song over and over on my car's 8 track player and we had the title engraved onto our wedding rings.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Slow down you crazy child

There are so many great Billy Joel songs. Piano Man, NY State of Mind, My Life, Only the Good Die Young, We Didn't Start the Fire, and Uptown Girl are some of my favorites.

My number 1 is You're my Home. My wife and I listened to that song over and over on my car's 8 track player and we had the title engraved onto our wedding rings.
Oh man....you're going to draw the ire of the music critics here by picking We Didn't Start the Fire :)

Reactions: bdgan
Funny thing about that song is that it wasn't super popular when it was initially released. It evolved into his trademark song after he became more populate later in the 70s.

That is an interesting bit of information.
Reminds me of a converation I had at a bar with I guess a millenial.

She was talking about Bon Jovi and Bruce. She was saying how Bon Jovi is way bigger and better. I was like... uh no. There is no comparison.

Reality changes over time.

LdN

Billy Joel......he was my escape from the world in 1972 when my brother was killed. There are so many of his songs which cause flashbacks for me. Have seen him in NYC, Atlanta, Shea Stadium, and the best was Philadelphia with Elton John (Back to Back) concert. If you get the chance see the musical "Moving Out" which won a Tony Award on Broadway. Favorite songs of course are Captain Jack, NY State of Mind, and his duet with Ray Charles....Baby Grand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 87 Penn St8
That is an interesting bit of information.
Reminds me of a converation I had at a bar with I guess a millenial.

She was talking about Bon Jovi and Bruce. She was saying how Bon Jovi is way bigger and better. I was like... uh no. There is no comparison.

Reality changes over time.

LdN
Reminds me of 1982 my last semester when the radio stations were playing some old Doors songs....I took English 102 finally and a young freshman was talking about this great new band called the Doors....she was shocked when I told her that Jim Morrison died 1971.

Allentown because I live in Allentown. I realize that it wasn't the best portrayal, but it gave the city recognition. I remember that our mayor at the time, Joe Daddona, asked for royalties.
Billy Joel was familiar with Allentown because he played in the Lehigh Valley when he was an unknown. IIRC, he played at the Roxy Theatre in Northampton.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Billy Joel was familiar with Allentown because he played in the Lehigh Valley when he was an unknown. IIRC, he played at the Roxy Theatre in Northampton.
He also played at many frat parties at Lehigh...in an interview he spoke of those days and how he wanted to make a song about Bethlehem.....but Allentown rhymed better.

This song got so much abuse which I think is totally unfair. It's Billy's riff on Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Love the video too, thought it was a great effect when the engines on the motorcycles rev, and the bike headlights and the headlights of the cars on the lifts come on. A little thing but I always thought it was well done.

Of course Christine Brinkley doesn't do anything to detract from the performance.

Another tidbit. The Prelude before Angry Young Man was Joel's response to ELO's Fire On High.

ADVERTISEMENT