ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Ben Askren

Can you imagine taking a single, let alone multiple, punches to the face from a 6’6” dude whose only losses are to Holmes, Spinks and Foreman?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Paul calling out Askren the MMA fighter:

2b8979cae4840f792e4f280044dcedc2.jpg

If the purse for that fight is even close to what people are saying, I can't find the right words, maybe that one from P.T. Barnum :eek:.

Reactions: diggerpup
The Ben Askren era as a competitor is now closed. Thanks for the memories and all... but that was embarrassing.
Sad thing is... when many of today’s youth think of Ben, these last couple years will be their first thought.
Embarrassing that there’s people who actually bought and watch this shit. I thought Askren was the best part about it. He knew it was a fn joke. He was getting paid a ridiculous amount of money and he trolled this “reality boxing” shit hard. Got hit once. Makes half a million. I’m sure he’d do it again.

Who tf is paying for this honestly? Who is watching this? I mean I saw the highlight but if they’re paying the guys that much than there are quite a few people who enjoy this stuff.
Go watch real boxing for Christ sakes

Man, since people will watch celebrities sing, or dance, or box, then maybe they’ll pay to watch them wrestle. Maybe the wrestling Baldwin should call out some (ex) NBA or NFL player and challenge him to a wrestling match. Cha Ching!
Good point. There is honestly nothing people won’t watch if “celebrities” are involved. Hell they watch people in costumes lip sing until it’s time to be revealed.

A less-than-mediocre boxer challenging Askren to box is like a regular shmoe challenging Shaq to free throws. Yeah, you beat a pro at one aspect of his job. But what does it prove? Not much new. Merely: MMA is one of many sports that allow their champs to have some holes in their game. In wrestling, see Anthony Robles.

Advertise and market a bout well, and they will pay. There appears to be an audience, so why not...it's a free-market country, after all. Good for them I guess, though the product wasn't worth $50 imo.

Askren has said that the match should not have been stopped in the first round. He also stated he might do two or three of these a year, though that might have been said before the Paul bout.

ADVERTISEMENT