ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Ben Askren

Gray52

Dec 9, 2012
The Ben Askren era as a competitor is now closed. Thanks for the memories and all... but that was embarrassing.
Sad thing is... when many of today’s youth think of Ben, these last couple years will be their first thought.

Disappointed he clearly agreed to take a fall for money. He's made plenty over his career and has several streams of income right that makes him really well off.

I mean, he had fat rolls and love handles. He was stealing money.

Love how all the experts chime in that have zero clue. I said it back in February on this site Askren has zero shot to win. I forget the thread but I said it was gonna be a massacre. The ones who thought Askren had a chance. Lol. For the ones saying he fell over, please do me a favor and go to a boxing gym and take a clean right hand like he did(one he did not see) and see what happens. Ben got dropped clean. Amazing he even made it up to his feet. Ref saved Ben from more punishment and embarrassment.

I boxed most my life and this was easy money for Paul and he knew it.Heck at almost 50 I would embarrass Askren in a boxing ring. Ben was so delusional for even thinking he had a shot. I don’t care what he made money wise, sold out for a buck. I even said on that thread Ben was gonna be another meme. Jake Paul is an absolute moron but he actually has some pop to his punches. Hope this punk will step up and fight a real pro fighter now.

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrating see this kind of match being made and this much press for an absolute joke. I’d would pay good money though to see Canelo trash Paul. Boxing sucks. Fighters just avoid one another and no wonder this is what attracts fans to this sport. Another reason why I love watching wrestling way more.

Man, since people will watch celebrities sing, or dance, or box, then maybe they’ll pay to watch them wrestle. Maybe the wrestling Baldwin should call out some (ex) NBA or NFL player and challenge him to a wrestling match. Cha Ching!

Love how all the experts chime in that have zero clue. I said it back in February on this site Askren has zero shot to win. I forget the thread but I said it was gonna be a massacre. The ones who thought Askren had a chance. Lol. For the ones saying he fell over, please do me a favor and go to a boxing gym and take a clean right hand like he did(one he did not see) and see what happens. Ben got dropped clean. Amazing he even made it up to his feet. Ref saved Ben from more punishment and embarrassment.

I boxed most my life and this was easy money for Paul and he knew it.Heck at almost 50 I would embarrass Askren in a boxing ring. Ben was so delusional for even thinking he had a shot. I don’t care what he made money wise, sold out for a buck. I even said on that thread Ben was gonna be another meme. Jake Paul is an absolute moron but he actually has some pop to his punches. Hope this punk will step up and fight a real pro fighter now.

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrating see this kind of match being made and this much press for an absolute joke. I’d would pay good money though to see Canelo trash Paul. Boxing sucks. Fighters just avoid one another and no wonder this is what attracts fans to this sport. Another reason why I love watching wrestling way more.
He (Paul) will never fight a trained boxer. Askren was chosen for a reason. He is a retired MMA fighter who had no stand up game at all and did not even try to work on his stand up game when he was active. I thought maybe he could "take a punch" but even then, there really only the Lawler match where he got hit and survived. All of his UFC wins were him taking his opponent down and not letting them up, nothing boxing related at all. This seemed like a straight money grab for Askren and I honestly believe that Askren did not care if he won or lost.

So my oldest got some fellas together last night at his moms house. Said we'll be down later, we paid for the UFC fight. "Some dude that wrestles is fighting a boxing guy." I'm like, you did not waste money on Ben Askren? Calls me up. Dad, that was the shortest fight in history. No sh&t, Sherlock.

Ben is a professional sh!t talker.

He is also an internet meme.

He looked fat and sloppy and didn't take training seriously. Its embarrassing for him and wrestling.

You reap what you sow.

So my oldest got some fellas together last night at his moms house. Said we'll be down later, we paid for the UFC fight. "Some dude that wrestles is fighting a boxing guy." I'm like, you did not waste money on Ben Askren? Calls me up. Dad, that was the shortest fight in history. No sh&t, Sherlock.
Yep. And I’m sure my dad rolled his eyes several times after we bought horrible Tyson fights back in the day.

Maybe Paul can fight Pico next and knock another former wrestling star turned “Glass Joe” level Fighter out in under 30 seconds.

Why do people even go to live events anymore? Can’t see for s#!t with everyone holding up their phone. Get off my lawn.
The answer may reside in the question...

acquiring content to post on one's social media to stay relevant as having been there > being there to watch intently as a fan.

Man, since people will watch celebrities sing, or dance, or box, then maybe they’ll pay to watch them wrestle. Maybe the wrestling Baldwin should call out some (ex) NBA or NFL player and challenge him to a wrestling match. Cha Ching!
Such as: Tiffany vs. Debbie Gibson?

That entire production was a joke. Sad that events like that can outdraw wrestling.
The match before Askren's, a guy took a dive and then laid on the floor kicking like a child. They had to put him on a stretcher and he wasn't even touched.
Very much a WWE version of Boxing.

He (Paul) will never fight a trained boxer. Askren was chosen for a reason. He is a retired MMA fighter who had no stand up game at all and did not even try to work on his stand up game when he was active. I thought maybe he could "take a punch" but even then, there really only the Lawler match where he got hit and survived. All of his UFC wins were him taking his opponent down and not letting them up, nothing boxing related at all. This seemed like a straight money grab for Askren and I honestly believe that Askren did not care if he won or lost.
Paul is not trying to be world champ In his word he’s trying to be the best “prize fighter”. The guy just wants to generate n promote the biggest money fights.. the kid is a lot smarter then a lot of people give him credit for.

I’m disappointed, like all of you, that Askren lost but can’t blame him for securing the bag for himself and his family. Can’t believe professional announcer, Buffer, couldn’t even pronounce Askren’s name right either... you had one job...

Anyways, now everyone wants to see Paul vs a pro boxer/mma fighter that can also strike.. mainly bc of how he projects himself; everyone wants to see his ass kicked.. the kid is on to something..

thumb_41531894_1854277881323680_5242372827581948070_n-5037205295.jpg

Just read that in the other thread, almost like you wrote that prediction after traveling in a time machine.

Just read that in the other thread, almost like you wrote that prediction after traveling in a time machine.
Hey, I just remembered that someone said we can quote to a different thread. Here, again, is the original prediction from the other thread:

[Feb. 5, 2021] Ben is going to get embarrassed. He will get knocked out brutally, or giving a severe beating until the red stops the fight. Ben has zero boxing skills, he is old with a new hip, no power what so ever. This fight is a complete joke and a disgrace. Jake Paul even though is a YouTuber has been training for a few years. He has some semi decent skills and takes this sport way more serious and trains with real fighters from the little I follow. This is the easiest money JP will make and he knows it. Watching Ben hit a bag or hit the mitts is so pathetic I feel sorry for him. Of all people Ben should know how important skill is for a sport being an elite wrestler. His hands are down and slow with no pop. His chin is in the air waiting to get smashed from a punch he will never see coming. He will become another meme. It’s a shame because he is healthy and has a family and can look forward to a good life ahead of him. NO reason to step into a boxing ring and risk your life for a payday. None what so ever.

Haha. Yeah its amazing how many people fell for his act and thought he could win. I would never pay for that crap. But I would 100% pay for a legit boxer to trash Paul. What is hilarious to me is the celebration of his after he KO'd Ben. That's the equivalent of David Taylor pinning David Spade but celebrated like he beat Yazdani. If I was Paul i would have toyed with him round after round and punished his body, then KO'd him in the last round. Make him really pay for all his smack talk.

Reactions: dunkej01 and bmw199
Askren took home close to a million dollars......his highest paycheck EVER. He was never a striker......EVER. Admittedly never even tried to be. People took his money to "train" him. Probably told him he was doing great. He wasn't. That said.....he promoted the fight and probably clears half a million for 2 minutes in the ring. Criticize all you want...but damned.....I'm jealous. I thought you had to start being a TV Pastor and "heal" people to get that kind of cash :)

Reactions: nitlion6

Eons ago, my brother had a party for the Gerry Cooney vs. Ken Norton fight. All of his guests showed up late and the fight was over before any of them arrived.

Brutal ending. Norton was out on his feet and the ropes were holding him up, so Cooney got in about 4 more wicked shots on him before the ref woke up. For a moment we were worried he killed him.

If you have 1 minute to spare, that is all you need to watch:

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT