ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beginner electric smoker...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
...it's big enough for me. Seems like a great deal for something to start out with? Not familiar w/ the Masterbuilt brand (or however you say Masterbuilt in Chinese) - anyone? $70 w/ free shipping.

Link here

k45885.002

Last edited:
Depends on how much you plan to use it and if smoking is something you can see yourself doing for many years. I would personally go up a few grades for a first one. Master built makes some good units, and would be a good first time purchase. There are a ton of working 5yo Masterbuilts out there still smoking.

If you get into it and it's use becomes a monthly thing, you will be buying a new unit.

Forgot you are in FLA. I would be worried about rust after a couple of years. These things are chincie built. Cabela's, basspro, and others sell them multiple SKU's. I would check it in person.

Reactions: MtNittany
Have you considered a propane-fueled smoker instead of the electric? Masterbuilt usually makes most of their smokers with a choice of electric or propane. The electrics things can consume some juice if you're smoking something for a long time.

A quick Google search showed that the propane is only a bit more expensive (but worth it IMHO).

Amazon product ASIN B01FJVSWM2

Depends on how much you plan to use it and if smoking is something you can see yourself doing for many years. I would personally go up a few grades for a first one. Master built makes some good units, and would be a good first time purchase. There are a ton of working 5yo Masterbuilts out there still smoking.

If you get into it and it's use becomes a monthly thing, you will be buying a new unit.

Agree. I have a Masterbuilt I was give a few years ago that is like a small refrigerator. Nice for the price point ($200.00), but I still have my eye on a Traeger.

Over three times as much, but they do have one for $300

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/town-travel-portable-series/scout/TFT18PLDO.html

There are other brands out there that are decent, but you'll have to go up a few notches to get one.

The nice thing about the unit you are considering is you could have that as a second/ mobile unit.

I'd see if a Costco, or kitchen ware/ appliance store in your area has any grill demos coming up. You'll learn much about what you might like regarding a smoker. The reason I want a Traeger, is you don't have to baby sit it. You could throw a brisket on, and afterwork, it is finished. the more expensive unit has a self feeding auger system and a digital temperature control system. If you set it at 200 degrees F it will hold that temp. That and IIRC you can cold smoke with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MtNittany
Have you considered a propane-fueled smoker instead of the electric? Masterbuilt usually makes most of their smokers with a choice of electric or propane. The electrics things can consume some juice if you're smoking something for a long time.

A quick Google search showed that the propane is only a bit more expensive (but worth it IMHO).

This one? I assume I can get a tank connector for $10. Hmmm...

shopping

I assume that propane will be more dependable to deliver heat, but which is more dependable to maintain a constant temperature? Propane or electric?

I have a Masterbuilt and love it for pork and brisket, however your limited temp wise to believe 275.. On poultry mine always turned out 'rubbery' and was told that it needs to be 'finished' at a higher heat. Got mine at Cabela's (40" Sportsman's Elite) so carry's their guarantee. I also attended a 'bootcamp' that was totally enjoyable and provided info on prepping, injecting, seasoning as well as smoking techniques. Company that did the bootcamp also demonstrated (fed us) with eggs, fatties (https://www.smokedmeatsunday.com/smoked-fatty/#.WyL2wiAnZPY) included one link as google fatties and NSFW results, pineapple upside down cake all done on smokers.

Last edited:
I assume that propane will be more dependable to deliver heat, but which is more dependable to maintain a constant temperature? Propane or electric?

My guess is electric with a electric thermostat. Also if using natural gas, you might have to block off wind. At lower temperature settings, I've had my weber Q all but go out.

This one? I assume I can get a tank connector for $10. Hmmm...

shopping

You will definitely want the adapter so that you can use a 20# propane tank.

P.S. The smoker I linked for $82 isn't stainless steel.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT