ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Band of Brothers

Greatest series ever. Father in law was one of those guys. Member of the 101st Airborne 506 PIR, Bravo Company. Jumped in the night before with the BOB guys. New Harry Welsh quite well. Had some memorable conversations with him. He never went back across the pond with any of the reunions that they had. Always told me, "Saw enough of Carentan and St Lo in 1944, no need to see it again." Shot and wounded by grenade in Battle of Bulge, December 1944. Every day after he came back to the world he considered gravy.

I've never had HBO so I had to wait for the DVD release. Worked out well because I read Ambrose's book during the wait. It gave me a lot of insight when I finally got the chance to view the series. Both are outstanding.

I've never had HBO so I had to wait for the DVD release. Worked out well because I read Ambrose's book during the wait. It gave me a lot of insight when I finally got the chance to view the series. Both are outstanding.
Read the book on Dick Winters...you will love it. Beyond Band Of Brothers I think is the title. I so love those guys. I am not ashamed to say I get tears when I see the last episode when all the guys are playing baseball...

Best generation ever! Only they could have done what they did.

And I am a GenX’er, second best generation ;)
A couple points about the greatest generation, everyone or just about everyone served the country during WWII that died out in the 60's. Captain Speirs action on D-Day with the American sympathizing Germans, how do you think that would spell out today ? You're born into what you're born. Not arguing your point just saying a different time and a scary one at that.

Reactions: step.eng69
A couple points about the greatest generation, everyone or just about everyone served the country during WWII that died out in the 60's. Captain Speirs action on D-Day with the American sympathizing Germans, how do you think that would spell out today ? You're born into what you're born. Not arguing your point just saying a different time and a scary one at that.
List of Easy Company.......
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/List_of_Easy_Company_(506_PIR)_veterans

Reactions: HazletonLion
I know this came out a while ago, but my wife won’t watch war movies. She lost her brother in Iraq. Anyway, this series should be part of the curriculum of a new class I’m proposing called “Freedom Appreciation”.
I agree, might i also add The Winds Of War, along with War & Remembrance should be seen in history classes. These series show the realism of the concentration camps and the politics of WW II.

I agree that "band of Brothers" is the best thing ever done on film. I would love it if they made a good movie about the Rangers and Pointe du Hoc.

I agree that "band of Brothers" is the best thing ever done on film. I would love it if they made a good movie about the Rangers and Pointe du Hoc.
I'd like to see another movie made about the Black Devil Brigade, the Joseph Springer book is awesome

One to many in any conflict! "Our war" Vietnam:

"
Casualty Category Number of Records

ACCIDENT

DECLARED DEAD

DIED OF WOUNDS

HOMICIDE

ILLNESS

KILLED IN ACTION

PRESUMED DEAD (BODY REMAINS RECOVERED)

PRESUMED DEAD (BODY REMAINS NOT RECOVERED)

SELF-INFLICTED

Total Records

One to many in any conflict! "Our war" Vietnam:

"
Casualty Category Number of Records

ACCIDENT

DECLARED DEAD

DIED OF WOUNDS

HOMICIDE

ILLNESS

KILLED IN ACTION

PRESUMED DEAD (BODY REMAINS RECOVERED)

PRESUMED DEAD (BODY REMAINS NOT RECOVERED)

SELF-INFLICTED

Total Records

I ran into a vet this weekend and he reminded me of your post. He said he was in the 101st airborne not long after tet. He said they flew out of khe Sahn and parachuted 30 to 50 clicks inside Cambodia (not sure if a click is a mile or km). He and the party would walk back to Vietnam shadowing VC. The intent was to ID Russian and Chinese advisors and sniper them. He said he had several kills as did his team members. He also said they lost as many as they got. But they felt the Russian and Chinese advisors were high value targets

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT