ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Audio, JBL 306 MK II's My new love

STPGopherfan

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
I just bought an pair of JBL 306 MK II's for home/ future home micro-studio. They sound great. Question for the board, anyone try other speakers in the $150.00 to $200 price range. Thoughts? I have a week or so to change my mind. I don't think I will, but just curious to hear if someone else has tried some monitors that they consider better?

mkii306-angle_r_vert_medium.jpg

They get great reviews, I'm sure they will be as good or better than anything else in their price range. Sweetwater has them at $238/pr.

They get great reviews, I'm sure they will be as good or better than anything else in their price range. Sweetwater has them at $238/pr.
Thanks! I bought local, so now I have to weigh relationships vs saving a few bucks. $350 for a pair of the 306's. He was selling the 305's for the price point you mentioned. The bass is so much more on the 306's.

Again, thanks!

Thanks! I bought local, so now I have to weigh relationships vs saving a few bucks. $350 for a pair of the 306's. He was selling the 305's for the price point you mentioned. The bass is so much more on the 306's.

Again, thanks!
my bad- I was looking at the 305s- that price for the 306s is very competitive- and I'm sure you're right about the bass response being better with the bigger speaker

Reactions: STPGopherfan
I am still using my 1985 Ohm Walsh 4’s (comparable Ohms are now $5K a pair) which still blow most speakers out of the water. I did have Wharfedale Black Diamonds which were pretty great sounding speakers for a small AV system, also from the late 80’s. Gave them to my daughter but she has since passed them on. I do have a pair of Mirage bookshelf speakers as my rear surrounds, but they are not made anymore. So I don’t have any idea wha bookshelf speakers are good and what aren’t anymore.

I am still using my 1985 Ohm Walsh 4’s (comparable Ohms are now $5K a pair) which still blow most speakers out of the water. I did have Wharfedale Black Diamonds which were pretty great sounding speakers for a small AV system, also from the late 80’s. Gave them to my daughter but she has since passed them on. I do have a pair of Mirage bookshelf speakers as my rear surrounds, but they are not made anymore. So I don’t have any idea wha bookshelf speakers are good and what aren’t anymore.
Ha! I'm kicking tires at the chevy lot and you are driving a Bentley! Sound like excellent speakers.

I just bought an pair of JBL 306 MK II's for home/ future home micro-studio. They sound great. Question for the board, anyone try other speakers in the $150.00 to $200 price range. Thoughts? I have a week or so to change my mind. I don't think I will, but just curious to hear if someone else has tried some monitors that they consider better?

mkii306-angle_r_vert_medium.jpg

How are these connected to your stereo? I don't see either the typical speaker cable terminals nor RCA jacks for using the line level output from your receiver/amp.

Help a knucklehead understand?

Reactions: STPGopherfan
How are these connected to your stereo? I don't see either the typical speaker cable terminals nor RCA jacks for using the line level output from your receiver/amp.

Help a knucklehead understand?
I actually connected it to my computer.

I used a Hosa adaptor. Mini (male) headphone jack to y out Left and Right 1/4" (female). Hosa YMP-137 Stereo Breakout CableRan two 1/4" (mono) phono cables (Male 1/4" mono jacks on each end. Rapco Horizon Standard Guitar Cable 10 ft. The speaker will take either 1/4 phono jacks or XLR (mic) connectors.

I used Mono instrument cables because the Hosa adapter was splitting the stereo signal to two mono lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT