ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Appropriate board procedures.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
Guys, since the McAndrew Board is the gold standard for Rivals, it behooves us to be vigilant in board procedures, especially seeing that readership here is going to go way up with the football season approaching. I'm embarrassed to have to be the one to point this out, but recent sloppy subject lines have forced my hand:
  1. FC (fair catch) is for posts which the writer suspects may have recently been discussed.
  2. OT (off topic) is for posts not related to Penn State, or college football in general.
Got it?

With the season approaching, the OT is the one that needs to be adhered to the most. Nothing wrong w/ OT posts. Just label them. This isn't your blog.

Guys, since the McAndrew Board is the gold standard for Rivals, it behooves us to be vigilant in board procedures, especially seeing that readership here is going to go way up with the football season approaching. I'm embarrassed to have to be the one to point this out, but recent sloppy subject lines have forced my hand:
  1. FC (fair catch) is for posts which the writer suspects may have recently been discussed.
  2. OT (off topic) is for posts not related to Penn State, or college football in general.
Got it?

Seems like it should be pretty obvious what is OT, unless you have a very low IQ. What triggered this?
Senator John McCain has brain cancer.
Don't think so. Obviously OT.

SI Article re: Saquon Barkley in this week's issue

OnTopic & OffTopic have the same acronyms.

There aren't any posted rules.

The OT posts are generally self evident. For example, when the topic is "Best Caribbean Vacation Destinations" it's pretty obvious it doesn't pertain to PSU or college football. The same goes for the current threads titled "2017 Phillies Thread" and "2017 Pirates Thread". Neither have the "OT" label but I think we all know the discussions aren't focused on PSU or college football.

EDIT: So the TIC was OMH. FYI, I feel DAF. IMHO, it was cruel to JUO like that.

Last edited:
Seems like it should be pretty obvious what is OT, unless you have a very low IQ. What triggered this?
Senator John McCain has brain cancer.

SI Article re: Saquon Barkley in this week's issue

OnTopic & OffTopic have the same acronyms.

There aren't any posted rules.
No, it was two posts using FC when OT was called for. (They should still be on the first page, both written by long-time posters.) Using FC or OT is not mandatory, but if you're going to use these abbreviations don't embarrass yourself by mixing them up.

My OP (original post) was written TIC (tongue-in-cheek).

Reactions: step.eng69
No, it was two posts using FC when OT was called for. (They should still be on the first page, both written by long-time posters.) Using FC or OT is not mandatory, but if you're going to use these abbreviations don't embarrass yourself by mixing them up.

New Board Rule: we need to redshirt posters. The decision will be made be the Redshirt Committee. Decisions will be based on the posters ability to get the joke.

New Board Rule: we need to redshirt posters. The decision will be made be the Redshirt Committee. Decisions will be based on the posters ability to get the joke.

i think it should be changed to "No-Shirt" Posters. You have my backing. You seem to have a keen eye for no shirts and the forum doesn't appear to mind that they are all female!

Reactions: LionJim
SIAP= Sorry if already posted.

Board Rule 9:69 The mentioning of women requires a photo of said woman.

Corollary 9:69a Board Rule 9:69 is not enforced when the poster discusses a female relative or Kaitlyn Jenner.
Clarification to that rule....it is enforced ONLY when a poster makes reference to a woman's looks or "hotness". For example....
Elizabeth Hurley still looks amazing in a bathing suit.....pic required.
Elizabeth Hurley is being cast in a new movie...no pic required

It's been my belief that by requiring (policed within your own self, of course) a prefix like OT before posting something that isn't PSU Football related, you are forced to go through an extra step.

Is this really a necessary post? Is it redundant? Is it political? Does anyone other than me care? etc.

THAT'S why I like the "OT".

Last edited:

Was it mine? I use both when talking about something (like Revisionist History) that is both Off Topic and potentially covered in another thread I may not have read.

And FLAG! for not mentioning FLAG!

C0oe7OjUcAAT--H.jpg

Board rule 17:18 (c) -- No one can ask what time the parking lots open more than two months before kickoff.

Reactions: LionJim
Which is more appropriate and which is way too casual?:

OT: My kid lost his first tooth this morning
My kid lost his first tooth this morning

Did we cover 'BRACE YOURSELVES!'?

As in, never use that phrase - ever.

Reactions: 91Joe95
And what about the "Bushwood Rule:" No post shall contain more than two words in ALL CAPS. Violation of this rule is a bannable offense.

If we don't have that rule, we need to.

Reactions: Nitwit and LionJim
And what about the "Bushwood Rule:" No post shall contain more than two words in ALL CAPS. Violation of this rule is a bannable offense.

If we don't have that rule, we need to.
And if offending poster does get banned, they should learn from their previous mistake and change their writing style to avoid being banned again....if not, you will be guilty of what should be called "Bushwooding".

Reactions: Al_Tuna
Incorrect. Pic still required.

Only because it discussed someone in the Elizabeth Hurley category. The Roseanne/Rosie category DEMANDS there is no accompanying pic, even if the poster thinks they're <shudder> hot.

Got it?

My next nom de plume will be Off_Topic_MackDaddy. That should cover 99.9% of my posts, right?

Allright, that's the way I understood it. Let's let moderator Mr McAndrew or wanna be moderator because I have a cool dog ILLINOISLION adjudicate....

I want to be a Moderator AND I have a cool dog.....not BECAUSE I have a cool dog! :D

The bonus is he can sniff out the rotten posts that I might miss.

The real reason I want to be a Moderator is that it would bring true meaning to an otherwise meaningless life.:rolleyes:

And I'd get to spend six weeks in Tom's Moderator Training 101 Class. Much better than going to study under the monks in Tibet!

Personal hissy-fit posts should be banned from the board- they are boring for the rest of us. Keep to the issues, and don't resort to insults about the poster.

1. If you are French, you can only post with a "FA" (French *******) in the thread heading.

2. All "OT" threads should start with women pics.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT