ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve actually RECOVERED a pool table from a flooded basement but didn’t need to RE-COVER it as the water was only about 2 1/2 - 3 feet high.

I know the process with the melted candle wax between the slate pieces and the adhesive. The bumpers seem like simple upholstery stuff. Can't be that hard, can it?

I'd be afraid to do the bumpers. They need to be tight so they all have the same bounce or you'll have an uneven table. I'd hire someone to do it right.

I'd be afraid to do the bumpers. They need to be tight so they all have the same bounce or you'll have an uneven table. I'd hire someone to do it right.
The bumpers can be done with a simpler fixture that performs like a cradle/saddle and a good staple gun. YouTube is your friend. When you disassemble the bumpers, you can get a good idea of how to cut the felt to fit. Same thing with the slate. Turn it upside down and you’ll see how the felt is cut in the pockets. It is truly a pretty straightforward project. One that is made simpler by watching an expert do it on YOUTUBE!

I did mine and it was easy. The bottom of my slate had a wood 1x6 under the edge of the slate to staple the felt onto. I used Simonis cloth, my be easier then felt.

Reactions: Eaglesmere
I’ve moved my table twice which required the felt on the table surface be removed. Like PSUeng, I have wood under the table that the felt is attached to with staples. When you take your old felt off, just take lots of pictures so you have something to refer to when you are restapling/reattaching the new felt. Since I’ve never recovered my bumpers, I can’t offer any opinions/advice with that.

Also, I’ve used a product called Durham Rock Hard Water Putty to fill the creases between the slate. Put it down, with a putty knife and then just hand sand it smooth. Works like a charm.

Reactions: bplionfan
I'm excited. Found an antique Brunswick 8' on FB for $200. Just needs a little care. Thought about buying PSU felt for it, then saw the prices, then realized that everyone making money from any licensed anything from PSU sucks. So classic green it will be.

All wood, 3 pc. 3/4" slate:

54462375_10157249655624283_8505098349270007808_n.jpg
You are gonna get a lot of enjoyment out of that table. Tons of info available for you on the interweb. I put a link below to some detailed instructions.
https://www.pooltablefeltcloth.com/fabric-installation-guide.html

You may want to find out who performs this project at your local watering hole or pool hall. The people who own/maintain those tables probably do it all of the time. The person performing that work for them would likely assist you for a reasonable service fee. My brother owned about 100 pool tables in the 80’s and that is how I became proficient.

Why would one re-felt? Does the felt lose its felt-feel? If you know someone who re-felt, think about how the felt felt. Show some feeling and feel for the felt before you re-felt.

You are gonna get a lot of enjoyment out of that table. Tons of info available for you on the interweb. I put a link below to some detailed instructions.
https://www.pooltablefeltcloth.com/fabric-installation-guide.html

You may want to find out who performs this project at your local watering hole or pool hall. The people who own/maintain those tables probably do it all of the time. The person performing that work for them would likely assist you for a reasonable service fee. My brother owned about 100 pool tables in the 80’s and that is how I became proficient.

Holy crap.....100 tables? That is one hell of a Man Cave. In fact, that’s an AustinNit-sized (Wo)Man Cave!

The bumpers can be done with a simpler fixture that performs like a cradle/saddle and a good staple gun. YouTube is your friend. When you disassemble the bumpers, you can get a good idea of how to cut the felt to fit. Same thing with the slate. Turn it upside down and you’ll see how the felt is cut in the pockets. It is truly a pretty straightforward project. One that is made simpler by watching an expert do it on YOUTUBE!

Seriously, YouTube is better than the library of Congress. Why anyone would need to start anywhere else is a mystery.

Ziggy- What are the spacers/piping between rails called and what are they made of? What I took out was like imitation leather. Are there ways to improve upon that that you know of? Seen here coming down from each pocket (same table model btw).

imag3628.jpg
Eaglesmere - I am not sure exactly what you are referring to. Are you referring to the pocket liners themselves, the spacers behind the pocket liners that separate the pieces of wood (that have the dots on them to help you aim) or something else?

Not part of the pockets. The spacers behind the pocket. Was stapled to the end of one of the rails. You see it right below the side pocket in the picture.
Understood now (especially after expanding your picture). I am sorry but I am not familiar with that piece of hardware. All of our pool tables were in fine drinking establishments and they weren't quite as ornate as this beauty! I am more familiar with something like this...
$_3.JPG

Ziggy, Finally getting back to this project. It's going to be an outdoor (patio) table. So I have got some Sunbrella cloth to cover it. I've replaced all the rubber and I think that went ok. Once I start the recovering of the cushions, I think I'll see that little flaws will be covered up more than I think.

About the bed though. There is nothing to staple the cloth to and the last felt was obviously glued. I thought about epoxy-ing some strips of wood to the bottom of the slate to staple to, but I don't know how that would work. I have the surface clean and smooth. Do I have to spray glue on the entire surface or do you think I can get away w/ just the vertical sides and the underside being glued? Not sure how to properly stretch the cloth if the whole surface is covered in tacky glue. Got blue Sunbrella cloth - it should look good. Any help appreciated.
Eaglesmere - My experience is limited to gluing the felt to the bottom of the slate. I wish we had wood to use for stapling. I like your idea of trying to epoxy wood to the slate but, if it doesn't work, then you'll have to clean that mess up again to glue the felt to there.

We glued the felt to the bottom of the slate. I don't believe we glued the side (thickness) of the slate. It seems to me that, if it adheres to the side, your glue on the bottom is rendered useless UNTIL the glue on the side gives away. This will then leave you with wrinkles or bumps.

I think the product we used was from 3M. There are YouTube videos out there showing the experts using 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive. I am sure that we used something similar but probably a different formula. Here is a link to a good website that recommends gluing again if your previous felt was glued: https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/3m-super-77-glue-pool-table-felt-adhesive
Sorry, but I had to put a link to the official NCAA PSU pool table cover: https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/penn-state-pool-table-felt

I simply do not remember our exact process for gluing the felt. I remember that, after doing 2-3 tables, it was simple; which is why the details didn't last with me. I am sorry for not being able to provide any more guidance. Here is a link to a forum where someone has more to offer than I do. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=47231

I truly wish you the best of luck and enjoyment from your investment and home improvement project!! :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT