ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ever fill out the US Census American Community Survey?

BUFFALO LION

Oct 4, 2001
Called to confirm it was legit as everyone should, but whenever I started to fill it out (I'm mailing it, no way am I sending this info out on line), it made me a little bit uneasy. The stuff they want is a criminal's treasure trove.

1.) What time do my wife and I go to work?

2.) How long does it take to get there?

3.) How many hours are we there?

4.) How many days a week do we work?

5.) How many weeks a year do we work?

6.) How do we get there?

7.) Do we drive a car, take a bicycle, walk, take a bus, work at home, etc.?

8.) Individual info on each kid that still lives at home and whether they are at school each day?

9.) Of course all the income, health, and personal ID questions (doesn't ask for SS Number). It goes on and on and on with all the personal stuff.

When I called, they were very nice, but tried to be evasive about the fine if I didn't send it in. Someone finally told me it could be anywhere from a $100 to $5,000 fine, depending on the circumstances, which I double checked to be correct.

I'm mailing it in today, but only after having checked it out thoroughly. This is a scam artist's delight, and from what I understand, they know it. If you get one, the Census Bureau themselves recommends you call them directly to make sure it's legit. If you don't, you might be sorry. The stuff you have to disclose could lose you a TON of money and assets ( or possibly even a family member's life) if ever placed in the wrong hands.

Not sure this isn't a case of Big Brother going a little bit too far. As even they warn, beware of the scammers.

Reactions: step.eng69
Called to confirm it was legit as everyone should, but whenever I started to fill it out (I'm mailing it, no way am I sending this info out on line), it made me a little bit uneasy. The stuff they want is a criminal's treasure trove.

6.) How do we get there?

8.) Individual info on each kid that still lives at home and whether they are at school each day?

9.) Of course all the income, health, and personal ID questions (doesn't ask for SS Number). It goes on and on and on with all the personal stuff.

When I called, they were very nice, but tried to be evasive about the fine if I didn't send it in. Someone finally told me it could be anywhere from a $100 to $5,000 fine, depending on the circumstances, which I double checked to be correct.

I'm mailing it in today, but only after having checked it out thoroughly. This is a scam artist's delight, and from what I understand, they know it. If you get one, the Census Bureau themselves recommends you call them directly to make sure it's legit. If you don't, you might be sorry. The stuff you have to disclose could lose you a TON of money and assets ( or possibly even a family member's life) if ever placed in the wrong hands.

Not sure this isn't a case of Big Brother going a little bit too far. As even they warn, beware of the scammers.
It's on my to-do list, but like you, I'll be mailing it in. I know completing the census is required by law, but do the instructions say anything about "inaccurate"answers? So I make a few "errors" when filling it out?:)

6.) How do we get there?

There is no way on God's Green Earth I would submit correct information to those questions......for that information to be stored in some Government database.

No way in the world.

They ask me "How many people live in your house?"....fine, I'll give them the number.
Anything else...... if I have to submit answers, I'm doing it with a "random answer generator".

6.) How do we get there?

Here are the FAQs
https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/respond/faqs.html

I also see the links to the relevant law, which does seem threatening.

What I also see is an explanation of why it is mandatory...and what might happen if you don't respond.

I think you are a long way from getting fined or sent away right now, even if you failed to respond. Let me tell you what would likely happen, because something similar happened to me @ 10 or 20 years ago....and probably before the current version of the law (but something that sounds like a version of the community survey thing you have here.)

I failed to respond to a mailing. Then they called me over and over and over to try to set up an appointment for a census worker to come talk to me. Failing that, they just sent somebody over to cold call me, and I sat on my porch for over an hour answering her questions. Then we were done.

Let's face it, if they were fining people or sending them to prison, we'd be hearing about it. I seriously doubt it gets to that point unless a person shows up and is chased away at gunpoint.

I got a different survey from them. Asked about household education level but other than that not invasive as did not have to put real names on the form but rather "nicknames". I tossed it, got another. Tossed that one, got another. Tossed again, got another. Persistent pricks I thought and so I filled it out 'my special way' and sent it back.

Fuggin govt is out of control with their information gathering.

I got one of those a few years ago. There was no way I was providing that info. They called and I told them the same. That form is far beyond the constitutional requirement for a census. I never had them come back on me.

It's on my to-do list, but like you, I'll be mailing it in. I know completing the census is required by law, but do the instructions say anything about "inaccurate"answers? So I make a few "errors" when filling it out?:)
I have yet to see the law that requires such info.

Just their threats found in General codes..
From the Census website FAQ's

Yes. You are legally obligated to answer all the questions, as accurately as you can.

The relevant laws are Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

----

My fallback is the language "as accurately as you can".

What if I completed the Census "under the influence of a mind-altering substance"? Technically speaking, my answers were "seemingly accurate" at the time of completion. Unlike operating a motor vehicle, I don't know of any law that specifically prohibits completing a required Census form while being under the influence....Instead of a DUI, I guess it would be a CUI.

Reactions: slwlion
Why is the census being taken in the year 2016? I don't believe the next one should be until 2020.

Do what I do...just make it up then include a smily face at the end.

Works for my taxes.

It's probably better for the government to make its policies based on inaccurate information.

The 10 year census is required by law, not these silly things where the government wants to know how often you use the toilet and the number of squares of toilet paper you use.

For the 10 year census, I simply put the enumeration (the number in the household). The other stuff about income, commuting, race, etc. gets ignored. Next time I might just write in
2 adults, no minors, no slaves"

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
It's probably better for the government to make its policies based on inaccurate information.
To be fair, this could prove to be a good method of identifying the areas that would benefit most from new mental health treatment facilities.

yes, and it cold be used to find those pesky Americans with Japanese ancestry in order to facilitate the government locking them up in prison camps.

Reactions: cigarowl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT