ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody wathing the Fare Thee Well show?

watched the first Santa Clara show on youtube. my brother and his wife saw the second night.

I was considering pre-purchasing all the Chicago shows, I love the Grateful Dead and have been on the bus since 88. I have thousands of hours of live shows . . . some good stuff, but a lot of pure nostalgia. Felt some of the more recent lineups played the material a bit better, fresher . . .

Was at Santa Clara. Were amazing shows, I expected them to get it together by second set second night, and that's pretty much how it went.

Tonight, Trey stepped fwd as he should have all along. Crushed. Big Ups to Bruce too, and Billy as always....

Wish I was in Chi...

Thought it was a good show. Trey stepped up, Bob sounded great my only complaint is that Phil should only be allowed to sing Box of Rain, his singing is just bad. I wish they would substitute Bruce Hornsby for Phil.

Sure am, was shut out for tix to all of the shows so am watching all of the live from home. Tonight's show was sizzling, especially set 2. Scarlet>Fire and Help>Slip>Franklins all in the second set, wow! And the new potato caboose and let it grow were amazing! Can't imagine what the next two nights will produce...

Reactions: simons96
Thought it was a good show. Trey stepped up, Bob sounded great my only complaint is that Phil should only be allowed to sing Box of Rain, his singing is just bad. I wish they would substitute Bruce Hornsby for Phil.

This. The band sounded flat out of the gate but came around on Passenger, which really rocked. Trey finally stepped it up in that song and pretty much took it from there, someone had to.

Where are the keyboards in the mix and yes, why let Phil sing more than one obvious song? There is a reason he sang very few songs ( BOR, TTB ) when Jerry was alive. Let Hornsby and Trey sing more.

The second set was better than the first set by far. I'm sure it's just me but this is about what I expected. In the stadium had to be a much better experience than watching/ listening at home just for the party and excitement of being in the moment!! Hope Mr. Potter was digging it if he went.

A marketing coup if I ever saw one. Reasonably unrehearsed, first set last night one hour, the music streamed before the show and at set break that was commissioned was boring, maybe it was supposed to be.

Overall, what I expected, Simon hits the nail on the head with one word......... Nostalgia.

A group out there worth catching is Joe Russo's Almost Dead. Their set in the rain @ this year's Mountain Jam was outstanding. They covered Terrapin Station and were great on all songs.

Yeah, Joe Russo is a better drummer than Billy And Mickey combined.

Mickey is however fantastic in his world music/ fusion genre.

Agree 100%. Saw The Dead back in 04 at Montage Mountain and Furthur about a dozen times but tonight was solid. Gonna XM the show tonight as I watch fireworks.

Worth a listen to:
https://archive.org/details/dead2004-08-04.105752.mimna.sennheiser_k6-me66.flac16

Reactions: simons96
ADVERTISEMENT