ADVERTISEMENT

©️

I have always admired the way he captured hunting and especially fishing. The rest of his life is such a mess.
R-11434420-1516267130-9757.jpeg.jpg

I forgot that it was going to be on- I'll have to catch up on it.

I didn’t know about it until I stumbled upon it about 30 minutes into it last night. I set up a recording and will watch when time allows.

Nearly finished with The Sun Also Rises. I do a few chapters when on vacation. They drink a sh*t ton in the book - every event is drinking. Going to fish? Pack three bottles of wine and beer. Train ride? Same. Bullfight? Get sauced on wine, beer, and Fundador. Then fight. Then go to hotel for bath and bed (but order more beer and wine to be delivered before the bath). Jesus.

Neither. You're thinking of her sister Mariel who played a hurdler in the movie Personal Best.
art?I said, ' was it her or her sister'... you said 'neither it was her sister'?

Yeah. I certainly did not write "it was her sister." sluggo is belongs to the Brandon Short School of Logic.
you are correct, you said, 'You're thinking of her sister Mariel' . so what am I missing here? or the fact that you missed an obvious tough in cheek?

Now I'm missing a "tough in cheek." Are you sure you're not Brandon Short's campaign manager?
did you really think I thought either of the Hemingway's were world class athletes (pretty good hurdler) ?

Last edited:
did you really think I thought either of the Hemingway's were world class athletes (pretty good hurler) ?

Either of them could have been a "pretty good hurler." Ran in the family.

I watched it although I don’t read fiction. I remember that his death was front page, top headline news.

I do admire people who can write. I recall classes that required writing and by midterm, I was out of ideas. I have to confess that the writers who were interviewed for the documentary are unknown to me, although Mrs delcoL is familiar with a couple of them.

Nearly finished with The Sun Also Rises. I do a few chapters when on vacation. They drink a sh*t ton in the book - every event is drinking. Going to fish? Pack three bottles of wine and beer. Train ride? Same. Bullfight? Get sauced on wine, beer, and Fundador. Then fight. Then go to hotel for bath and bed (but order more beer and wine to be delivered before the bath). Jesus.
I read it in Fall term of my freshman year. It's the only one of his novels I think much of, and could possibly read now. "Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton," one of the great first lines. Come to think of it, is there a novel anywhere with the perfect brackets of first and last lines, "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

It's a honest book, I'll say that. He said what he wanted to say.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Yeah, the constant drinking wears me out too.

Having said that, I have read the Old Man and the Sea, cover to cover, without a break, several times.
I read it in Fall term of my freshman year. It's the only one of his novels I think much of, and could possibly read now. "Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton," one of the great first lines. Come to think of it, is there a novel anywhere with the perfect brackets of first and last lines, "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

My favorite line...

‘One’s an ass to leave Paris.’

This one too...

"I drank a bottle of wine for company. It was a Château Margaux. It was pleasant to be drinking slowly and to be tasting the wine and to be drinking alone. A bottle of wine was good company."

The guy lived like 3 life's worth of adventure - WWI as an Ambulance driver - covered the Spanish Civil War -was at the Normandy Landing in WWII and lived in Cuba and Key West - was raised near where I grew up in Oak Park, IL. Did all this and wrote all those classics by 62 when he killed himself.

Reactions: LionJim

As to first/last sentence brackets, a few notables...

Moby Dick

“Call me Ishmael.”

“And I only am escaped alone to tell thee.”

The Great Gatsby

“In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.”

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

The Old Man and the Sea

“He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.”

“The old man was dreaming about the lions.”

Lolita

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth."

“I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita.”

Reactions: LionJim
I just remembered the first line of Slaughterhouse-Five, “All this happened, more or less,” and while doing some further searching found this quote from Vonnegut, which I am posting just because:

“The Dresden aroicity, tremendously expensive and meticulously planned, was so meaningless, finally, that only one person on the entire planet got any benefit from it. I am that person. I wrote this book, which earned a lot of money for me and made my reputation, such as it is. One way or another, I got two or three dollars for every person killed. Some business I’m in.”

As to first/last sentence brackets, a few notables...

Moby Dick

“Call me Ishmael.”

“And I only am escaped alone to tell thee.”

The Great Gatsby

“In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.”

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

The Old Man and the Sea

“He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.”

“The old man was dreaming about the lions.”

Lolita

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth."

“I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita.”
I had to check my copy of The Sound and the Fury to be sure of the first and last lines, which are: “Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting,” and, “The broken flower drooped over Ben’s fist and his eyes were empty and blue and serene again as cornice and facade flowed smoothly once more from left to right, post and tree, window and doorway and signboard each in its ordered place.”

Also read in my PSU class fall term of my freshman year. Thst class was really something.

ADVERTISEMENT