ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Star Trek TOS fans here?

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
I recently came across Star Trek Continues on Youtube. It was made in the 2010s. The idea was to completely the five year mission the Enterprise was on in the TV series, which was cancelled after 3 years. These were crowdfunded and not for profit. They had to get CBS's permission to do it, but since they agreed to not do it for profit, CBS agreed. The episodes are really good. And if you take away that fact that the actors don't look exactly the same as in TOS, they look and and sound just like TOS. I've seen a bit of other fan-created shows and these are on a whole nother level.

They even got some prominent actors to guest star. The guy that played Apollo in TOS (when they visited the planet where Apollo ruled) guest starred, playing Apollo again. Lou Ferrigno guest starred. So did Erin Gray (Wilma from Buck Rodgers in the 24th century). John DeLancie (the guy that played Q in ST: TNG) guest starred. Scotty was played by Chris Doohan, who is the son of the guy that played Scotty in TOS. Remember Mythbusters? One of the engineers on there was a guy named Grant Imahara. He plays Sulu. I looked him up and unfortunately he died a couple years ago at only age 49.

Several of the episodes were extensions or sequels to episodes on TOS, such as the one I mentioned with Apollo. If you're not into ST: TOS then you're probably no longer reading, but if you are into it then go to Youtube and check them out. Just type Star Trek Continues in the search box. There are 11 episodes, with that last two (10 and 11) being the two part finale where they actually finish the five year mission.

They didn't exactly have permission from CBS--CBS just didn't sue them (they sued other productions (Axanar) and some other ones (Star Trek: New Frontiers (aka Phase II)) were not finished as a result).

There was tacit permission for them for many years until CBS/Paramount started new series (i.e., Discovery). They didn't want ideas pre-empted by fan productions having the same ones first, among other reasons.

You can still do them, but they have to be 15 min or less with no pro actors.

Got through the first two episodes of Picard Season 2 on paramount. way to 'woke' for me but still watch it as what else am i going to watch and still holds me interest a little. I tried to watch Star Trek Discovery but that was so, so, so far out there on the 'woke' scale that I just couldn't watch after a about 3/4 of the season plus I thought in general the plot wasn't very good.

Reactions: 84Lion
Got through the first two episodes of Picard Season 2 on paramount. way to 'woke' for me but still watch it as what else am i going to watch and still holds me interest a little. I tried to watch Star Trek Discovery but that was so, so, so far out there on the 'woke' scale that I just couldn't watch after a about 3/4 of the season plus I thought in general the plot wasn't very good.
I watched the first two episodes of ST: D when it came out, like four years ago now or whatever. They were on free TV so I gave it a watch. I was shocked. I didn't realize pretty much the whole series has become JJ-Abrams-ized until I subsequently did research. I hadn't seen any movies since the ST: TNG ones and I figured no major changes in ST would be allowed unless it was on a TV series since ST is primarily a TV show. Guess I was wrong. Ugh, it was bad and it had pretty much nothing in common with ST as I knew it, other than names and words. I don't know if I'd have gotten CBS All Access just for ST: D if ST: D was good but since ST: D was bad, to my tastes at least, I didn't have to make the decision. I haven't seen any of ST: Picard.

ST: Continues is really good though. I've re-watched some in the last few days and it stands up on re-viewing. The Dr. McCoy actor in the first couple episodes was bad but they replaced him. Introducing the McKenna character took away what could have been more stuff for Uhura, Chekov, Scotty & Sulu to do, so too bad for them, but McKenna was a good character. The look, sound, feel of the show, dialogue, etc, was right on the mark and most of the episodes were good or really good, with only a couple clunkers. ST: TOS has a higher percentage of clunkers.

ADVERTISEMENT