ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any northerners grow any good peppers this summer?

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
First cold front coming down here finally. Gonna order seeds soon.

I always grow jalapenos because I use them so much (I'll probably just buy those plants locally). Habaneros as well. Had success w/ Carolina Reaper in the past - great for wing sauces. White peppers (habs and japs) were a mixed bag.

Any good suggestions?

Reactions: PSU87

I always grow jalapenos because I use them so much (I'll probably just buy those plants locally). Habaneros as well. Had success w/ Carolina Reaper in the past - great for wing sauces. White peppers (habs and japs) were a mixed bag.

Any good suggestions?
I had a great year for peppers. My favorite of the bunch this year were Scotch Bonnets. Nice, smokey flavor right off the vine. I am about to harvest the last of my jalapeños, smoke them, and enjoy some chipotle. Good luck and enjoy!

I am also thinking of branching out to some more exotic South American stuff:

Any good suggestions?

So, you plant seeds after the first cold spell? Seeds?
I'm in Louisiana and read that we were supposed to plants seeds by end of Aug.
Cool front came in 2 days ago. Got down to 65 overnight. Slept with windows open.

So, you plant seeds after the first cold spell? Seeds?
I'm in Louisiana and read that we were supposed to plants seeds by end of Aug.
Cool front came in 2 days ago. Got down to 65 overnight. Slept with windows open.
I germinate them in peat indoors on heating pads. Eventually they'll be in big pots on the patio.

Any good suggestions?
live in Madison Wisconsin, had spectacular results with escamillo (large, orange sweet) stuffed in fresh tomato sauce, sweet banana, flaming flame fresno peppers really nice, havasu fresno very very nice, altiplano serrano productive, flavorful, jalapeño and shishito. Was a very good year for peppers here as well as tomatoes.

But this far north hot peppers do not develop serious heat. Had a jalapeño yesterday that was more like a Fresno than jalapeño.

Last edited:
live in Madison Wisconsin, had spectacular results with escamillo (large, orange sweet) stuffed in fresh tomato sauce, sweet banana, flaming flame fresno peppers really nice, havasu fresno very very nice, altiplano serrano productive, flavorful, jalapeño and shishito. Was a very good year for peppers here as well as tomatoes.
90 miles west of you in northeast Iowa. Great tomatoes.... Peppers were a flop. Hey I just found Shishitos this year!!! Great for stuffing with blue cheese and cream cheese and wrapped in bacon on the wood pellet grill :)

Reactions: ralphster
ADVERTISEMENT