ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another Pandemic Coming? WHO annual death toll 745K?

TheBigUglies

Jan 13, 2004
Long working hours killing 745,000 people a year, study finds

Long working hours are killing hundreds of thousands of people a year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
The first global study of its kind showed 745,000 people died in 2016 from stroke and heart disease due to long hours.
The report found that people living in South East Asia and the Western Pacific region were the most affected.
The WHO also said the trend may worsen due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The research found that working 55 hours or more a week was associated with a 35% higher risk of stroke and a 17% higher risk of dying from heart disease, compared with a working week of 35 to 40 hours.
The study, conducted with the International Labour Organization (ILO), also showed almost three quarters of those that died as a result of working long hours were middle-aged or older men.

Often, the deaths occurred much later in life, sometimes decades later, than the long hours were worked.

I so left that work lifestyle 2 years ago, now just doing what I love at a relaxed pace on my way to retirement!! :cool: :)

Last edited:
Reactions: FHSPSU67 and brupsu
Long working hours killing 745,000 people a year, study finds

Long working hours are killing hundreds of thousands of people a year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
The first global study of its kind showed 745,000 people died in 2016 from stroke and heart disease due to long hours.
The report found that people living in South East Asia and the Western Pacific region were the most affected.
The WHO also said the trend may worsen due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The research found that working 55 hours or more a week was associated with a 35% higher risk of stroke and a 17% higher risk of dying from heart disease, compared with a working week of 35 to 40 hours.
The study, conducted with the International Labour Organization (ILO), also showed almost three quarters of those that died as a result of working long hours were middle-aged or older men.

I so left that work lifestyle 2 years ago, now just doing what I love at a relaxed pace on my way to retirement!! :cool: :)

You omitted the concluding sentence from the story:

"Often, the deaths occurred much later in life, sometimes decades later, than the long hours were worked."

You omitted the concluding sentence from the story:

"Often, the deaths occurred much later in life, sometimes decades later, than the long hours were worked."
Thanks! Missed that since it was below and advertisement in my browser. I guess I am still doomed then! ☠️ :eek::cool:

Reactions: brupsu
A friend works for Jones Day. He told me they now call it "Jones Day Nights and Weekends".

Reactions: brupsu
ADVERTISEMENT