ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another Maine Trip & Questions

ThePennsyOracle

Oct 9, 2015
@Art, sorry for continually posting Maine questions!

I'll heading up with the family for another Maine vacation within the next few weeks. We'll be spending a few days in Bar Harbor before heading down to Portland for the bulk of the trip. There'll be stops in Freeport, Wells, and other stops in between.

Santa came a bit early with a Canon EOS Rebel t6 too; I'll be locked & loaded for good shooting if I can get the hang of it soon. Also, by the grace of God, shellfish allergy is no longer an issue too. Game on for lobster--I hope they have enough.

So, two questions today:

• Has anyone done a Lucky Catch Cruises lobstering trip out of Portland? It seems to get great TripAdvisor reviews and we're considering it. I tried to book a moose tour but don't want to drive 3 hours through the early morning or late night to do it this time.
  • What place(s) has the best traditional Maine lobster roll? Because of the shellfish issue I never looked into good seafood spots. I love downtown Portland but it has its share of tourist traps (DiMillo's) and tchotchke shops. I've heard Evantide is good and plan to go there at some point for oysters. That said, I'd prefer a lobster roll well-liked by locals at a hole-in-the-wall place somewhere. We'll be going to Becky's too and I hear they have some great seafood, so there's always that.
That's all, folks.

I'll heading up with the family for another Maine vacation within the next few weeks. We'll be spending a few days in Bar Harbor before heading down to Portland for the bulk of the trip. There'll be stops in Freeport, Wells, and other stops in between.

Santa came a bit early with a Canon EOS Rebel t6 too; I'll be locked & loaded for good shooting if I can get the hang of it soon. Also, by the grace of God, shellfish allergy is no longer an issue too. Game on for lobster--I hope they have enough.

So, two questions today:

• Has anyone done a Lucky Catch Cruises lobstering trip out of Portland? It seems to get great TripAdvisor reviews and we're considering it. I tried to book a moose tour but don't want to drive 3 hours through the early morning or late night to do it this time.
  • What place(s) has the best traditional Maine lobster roll? Because of the shellfish issue I never looked into good seafood spots. I love downtown Portland but it has its share of tourist traps (DiMillo's) and tchotchke shops. I've heard Evantide is good and plan to go there at some point for oysters. That said, I'd prefer a lobster roll well-liked by locals at a hole-in-the-wall place somewhere. We'll be going to Becky's too and I hear they have some great seafood, so there's always that.
That's all, folks.

Well, good for you on all counts.

So you wanna great lobster roll and to be able to use your new toy? My suggestion is to head over to Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth. For the camera: Portland Head Lighthouse; the remnants of the old fort, including the artillery batteries, a decent stretch of Maine coastline, an arboretum, a nice childrens' garden. You can also pick up great lobster rolls at Bite Into Maine. They're served off a truck. They are terrific and the Suttons who run it are wonderful people.

Eventide is very good and also does a good lobster roll.

If you like Japanese, Miyake in Portland is not to be missed.

Freeport is LL Bean, outlet shopping, and the Maine Beer Company down on Route 1. If someone in your family knits, Mother of Purl is a great yarn shop run by really nice people. Located in a nondescript strip mall also on Route 1.

Reactions: royboy
Will add we were in Portland earlier this summer and the lobster roll food truck at Cape Elizabeth (believe it's called 'A Taste of Maine') got high marks from locals and critics alike. Was the best I had by far - they do Connecticut style too. Get a blueberry soda and Cape Cod chips to round out the meal.

So you wanna great lobster roll and to be able to use your new toy? My suggestion is to head over to Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth. For the camera: Portland Head Lighthouse; the remnants of the old fort, including the artillery batteries, a decent stretch of Maine coastline, an arboretum, a nice childrens' garden. You can also pick up great lobster rolls at Bite Into Maine. They're served off a truck. They are terrific and the Suttons who run it are wonderful people.

Freeport is LL Bean, outlet shopping, and the Maine Beer Company down on Route 1. If someone in your family knits, Mother of Purl is a great yarn shop run by really nice people. Located in a nondescript strip mall also on Route 1.

Wait - that was the name of the food truck - Bite Into Maine; excellent!

Definitely will be going to Portland Head Light and then Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth. We're also doing Cadillac Mountain at sunset and sunrise, all of which make for great photos. I'm researching filter kits and tripods now, and once I get those I'll be all set.

Eventide is on the list--heck, I'll probably give their lobster roll a try too. Miyake looks awesome--I had no idea Portland would have good Japanese food. Kinda like Hot Suppa (Southern) I guess.

I'm also fortunate to have a 30% off an entire purchase at LL Bean. Boots, flannel, etc. for sure.

On the way home we're hitting up Stonewall Kitchen in York for some jelly and possibly Harvard (wife has a friend who is in a PhD program there).

I'll likely take Route 1 down from Bar Harbor to Portland--that should be great too.

I've heard of that truck! It wasn't open during my Maine trip last year, but definitely want to try it.

Our "musts" food wise are Becky's, Holy Donut, Hot Suppa, Otto Pizza and Eventide--did you get to try Otto while you were there? I'd also like to get to Nosh for another Smores burger.

I've heard of that truck! It wasn't open during my Maine trip last year, but definitely want to try it.

Our "musts" food wise are Becky's, Holy Donut, Hot Suppa, Otto Pizza and Eventide--did you get to try Otto while you were there?

No - there with my two little ones and eating out was a bit of a chore. Did Duckfat and Holy Donut and found the former to be a bit overrated (fries were amazing though) and the latter to be pretty awesome. As a bit of a foodie, disappointed I couldn't get to some of the ones you mentioned. I will say we did the Duck Boat tour and loved it! The guide is the community college librarian and was full of great, interesting facts about the city. Do it if you get a chance.

No - there with my two little ones and eating out was a bit of a chore. Did Duckfat and Holy Donut and found the former to be a bit overrated (fries were amazing though) and the latter to be pretty awesome. As a bit of a foodie, disappointed I couldn't get to some of the ones you mentioned. I will say we did the Duck Boat tour and loved it! The guide is the community college librarian and was full of great, interesting facts about the city. Do it if you get a chance.

Nice! Sounds like a good time.

We did a Portland Discovery city tour and light house cruise last year. Each was informative however definitely geared towards a much....older crowd.

I'll likely take Route 1 down from Bar Harbor to Portland--that should be great too.

Depending on your time schedule, it's nice to get "off the beaten path" of Route 1 (which should be a lot easier travelling with summer traffic gone); highly recommend Deer Island, and Camden area if you haven't already done that -- the combination of mountains and coast scenery there is spectacular.

c5f2a4cc216a20ea2c428fdee8c1d9e9.jpg

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Definitely will be going to Portland Head Light and then Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth. We're also doing Cadillac Mountain at sunset and sunrise, all of which make for great photos. I'm researching filter kits and tripods now, and once I get those I'll be all set.

Eventide is on the list--heck, I'll probably give their lobster roll a try too. Miyake looks awesome--I had no idea Portland would have good Japanese food. Kinda like Hot Suppa (Southern) I guess.

I'm also fortunate to have a 30% off an entire purchase at LL Bean. Boots, flannel, etc. for sure.

On the way home we're hitting up Stonewall Kitchen in York for some jelly and possibly Harvard (wife has a friend who is in a PhD program there).

You could do Miyake for lunch and then go across the street to Gelato Fiasco for dessert.

Holy Donut is very good. Who knew that mashed potatoes could make such a difference? For the more traditional take, stop by Congdon's in Wells. Better to get there early and they close at three.

Also in Wells, there's the Maine Diner. Lobster pie is amazing.

Stonewall is a lot of fun. They put out samples of most things and if there is something that you want to try and it's not out, just ask. Try to resist the urge to buy everything. Not too far down the road is When Pigs Fly Pizzeria in Kittery. Good place to try some non-traditional pies plus an extensive selection of brews. Started and still is a bakery. They have a good selection of their breads and other goodies in the adjoining company store.

I have friends who did the lobster catch this summer and loved it. Also they were given several good suggestions for lobster roll by the crew, so they should be a good resource.

While in the area, check out York Harbor and the famous Cape Neddick Lighthouse...
york-harbor-lighthouse-ii-freda-sbordoni.jpg

My wife and I have stayed at the York Harbor Inn several times for getaway weekends and had fantastic experiences each time.

Also if you have free time in the evenings you can take a drive through the countryside looking for moose. The locals will tell which swamps are more likely to see the moose in. bring binoculars too. Unlike deer their eyes don't glow when you shine a light on them.

Cape Elizabeth has been mentioned..not sure if the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth has specifically been mentioned. Great lobster roll and try the blueberry pie, although they may be out of season now...not sure.

Becky's Diner down by the piers in Portland is the best traditional lobster rolls - small place - you may have to wait for a table. If you must have a lobster roll in Freeport - Linda Beans across the street from LL Bean is OK - they sprinkle a little fresh dill on top for a slightly different taste.

If its still open, the HUGHEST lobster roll is a little shack called Larson's just north of Damriscotta. On your left going north, on your right going south on Rt. 1. Its opposite a gun range if that's a better landmark for you.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If your in Freeport, go down to the water to a lobster pound/restaurant called Harraseekets, they have all the traditional Maine fare with outdoor seating as well. And with a view!

Probably similar to the cheesesteak threads, but in my opinion Red's is overrated and not worth the wait.

Not really. The secret to a good lobster roll is procuring good fresh lobster and not overwhelming it with other stuff. Reds does that well. So do a lot of other places. When in Maine it's just a matter of finding them. So while I wouldn't say that Red's is overrated, I would agree that it's not worth the wait.

If your in Freeport, go down to the water to a lobster pound/restaurant called Harraseekets, they have all the traditional Maine fare with outdoor seating as well. And with a view!

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster is in South Freeport and not to be confused with the Harraseeket Inn in Freeport. It serves a good lobster, but it's run for what it is, a fishery. The view of the mouth of the river and Wolfe's Neck is hardly worth going out of the way for.

Also if you have free time in the evenings you can take a drive through the countryside looking for moose. The locals will tell which swamps are more likely to see the moose in. bring binoculars too. Unlike deer their eyes don't glow when you shine a light on them.

agree that the locals an tell you where best to see moose.

you're incorrect about moose eyes not glowing when a light is shined on them. Anatomically, it's the tapetum lucidum that reflects light back through the retina. Moose have a tapetum lucidum, deer have it, and most nocturnal mammals have it. I've seen moose with glowing, or reflecting eyes at night, when I shine a light on them.

So, two questions today:

That's all, folks.

If you ever go in February, Bar Harbor has a terrific winter festival/carnival I've been told.

Anybody ever been there please during this season??

agree that the locals an tell you where best to see moose.

you're incorrect about moose eyes not glowing when a light is shined on them. Anatomically, it's the tapetum lucidum that reflects light back through the retina. Moose have a tapetum lucidum, deer have it, and most nocturnal mammals have it. I've seen moose with glowing, or reflecting eyes at night, when I shine a light on them.

Damn Tom! U R one knowledgeable individual. {Seriously}

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?? ;-)

Becky's Diner down by the piers in Portland is the best traditional lobster rolls - small place - you may have to wait for a table. If you must have a lobster roll in Freeport - Linda Beans across the street from LL Bean is OK - they sprinkle a little fresh dill on top for a slightly different taste.

Huge fan of Becky's. Ended up having a 5am breakfast with lobstermen there last year. They even shipped me whoopie pies and cookies for my wife's Valentine's Day present.

Bring back some beer from Maine Beer Co. and Bissell Brothers

Hah, I've got a long list of requests to bring home. I'm definitely going to visit Maine Beer Co--looks awesome.

On the way home I'm going to have Stonewall Kitchen jams, Holy Donuts, Becky's whoopie pies/cookies, and Speckled Axe coffee.

If you ever go in February, Bar Harbor has a terrific winter festival/carnival I've been told.

Anybody ever been there please during this season??

We actually tried to go to Maine for Valentine's Day 2017 but Portland was inundated by a blizzard. We do plan to take a winter trip one of these years.

Jokes aside, the wife always talks about moving up there. Jobs is an issue. It seems that other than healthcare or the service industry/tourism (and LL Bean), there isn't a ton of well-paying jobs in Maine.

We actually tried to go to Maine for Valentine's Day 2017 but Portland was inundated by a blizzard. We do plan to take a winter trip one of these years.

Jokes aside, the wife always talks about moving up there. Jobs is an issue. It seems that other than healthcare or the service industry/tourism (and LL Bean), there isn't a ton of well-paying jobs in Maine.

Yeah, it's a shame that BofA has shuttered nearly all of the MBNA sites in Maine. They had a very large campus in Belfast with 8 buildings and around 3000 employees there. Down to one building and a couple of hundred people.

On the way home I'm going to have Stonewall Kitchen jams, Holy Donuts, Becky's whoopie pies/cookies, and Speckled Axe coffee.

You don't have to be in Maine to purchase Stonewall Kitchen jams. They have really branched out. Save your time and eat more lobster rolls.

You don't have to be in Maine to purchase Stonewall Kitchen jams. They have really branched out. Save your time and eat more lobster rolls.

Yes, I buy it at Wegmans and TJX stores all the time. However the selection is limited and I don't like to pay for shipping. We like the stuff and will already be in the area so it's worth a stop.

Yeah, it's a shame that BofA has shuttered nearly all of the MBNA sites in Maine. They had a very large campus in Belfast with 8 buildings and around 3000 employees there. Down to one building and a couple of hundred people.

Yikes--I had no idea BofA/MBNA had a campus that large there.

Does Garmin have a large presence? I saw their building when I was travelling through.

The Freeport/Portland corridor seems to be interesting. Housing prices are quite a bit higher than what I thought; I'm not really sure where locals get the money from.

Does Garmin have a large presence? I saw their building when I was travelling through.

The Freeport/Portland corridor seems to be interesting. Housing prices are quite a bit higher than what I thought; I'm not really sure where locals get the money from.

MBNA also had sites in Camden, Portland, Brunswick, Rockland, Presque Isle, Fort Kent and Farmington in addition to the site in Belfast. I believe only the Belfast site remains.

My engineering firm did all of their building design.

I was always sort of surprised at the cost of real estate in Maine, at least in the coastal areas, but I think it's a supply thing. Go inland and the prices get much cheaper.

Not sure about Garmin. I know that Athena Health - Jonathan Bush's company (nephew of W) - took over part of the MBNA campus in Belfast. I know some former MBNA-ers there and they seem to be growing.

A drive down Rt. 27 to Boothbay Harbor should be a must. At the Boothbay (not to be confused with Boothbay Harbor at the tip of the peninsula) town square (a military statue is your landmark), is a shack called Bet's that only serves fresh (caught that day) fish 'n chips. The portions are HUGE. Order a half-serving, it is more than enough.

I was always sort of surprised at the cost of real estate in Maine, at least in the coastal areas, but I think it's a supply thing. Go inland and the prices get much cheaper.

May be more to it, but many of the locals have blamed those moving in from other states, esp. Massachusetts, who are sometimes referred to as "Mass-holes"

Garmin established a presence when it bought mapmaker DeLorme in Yarmouth. Wouldn't call it large.

So, two questions today:

That's all, folks.
I havent done the Lobster boat in Maine, but have done a shrimp boat in Hilton Head, and had a blast. And I would do it again so if it is anything like them showing you have the waterrmen hunt for Lobster I would go. Any day on the water is better than a day on land!.

Yes, I buy it at Wegmans and TJX stores all the time. However the selection is limited and I don't like to pay for shipping. We like the stuff and will already be in the area so it's worth a stop.

You can get Stonewall products elsewhere,often cheaper because they don;t like to undercut their retailers on price. But you're right, you won't find the selection.

If you go to Eventide, you might want to drop by Stonewall's company store on Middle Street. It's a short walk.

A drive down Rt. 27 to Boothbay Harbor should be a must. At the Boothbay (not to be confused with Boothbay Harbor at the tip of the peninsula) town square (a military statue is your landmark), is a shack called Bet's that only serves fresh (caught that day) fish 'n chips. The portions are HUGE. Order a half-serving, it is more than enough.
Free Beer Tomorrow!!

ADVERTISEMENT