ADVERTISEMENT

OT: (Another appliance thread) Wolf or Viking Gas Range?

BoulderFish

Oct 31, 2016
Or, any other comparables at maybe a tad lower price point? 36" width model is what I will need.

Between Wolf and Viking, I think I'm leaning towards Wolf, but I'm not exactly sure why.

Or, any other comparables at maybe a tad lower price point? 36" width model is what I will need.

Between Wolf and Viking, I think I'm leaning towards Wolf, but I'm not exactly sure why.
years ago my friend went through the same debate, and he choose Wolf. Now to your situation, 36" really? with a stove like that you need at least 72!!!! Tear out the wall if you have to and have a real kitchen!!! LOL

Reactions: rjg82
I looked and ended up going with Bosch.....the reasoning is that I wanted the oven, dishwasher and fridge to all match. I find the coloring to be off if they do not match. The Viking Fridge had odd sizes that didn't fit. Wolf didn't have them (that I could find). Clearly the Bosch doesn't have the impact that a Viking or Wolf does. But they are a step up, are german engineered, readily available and easily repaired (parts and people).

I did a full Viking kitchen 15 years ago, and wouldn't do that again. Though the range was the best of the appliances I got.
Agree that 36" is not ideal, would go with 48"
I would look at Thermador, which may be a little cheaper, and BlueStar, which won't.

Reactions: rjg82
here's a place to look at what's available and what competitive pricing would be.

https://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/36+Inch;Gas;Ranges/N~25+4294965554+4294964456

There are other mid-priced brands out there like Bertazoni and Smeg. Not sure I trust them. I think you get what you pay for with Wolf, Viking and Bluestar.

I'm a happy Viking owner. The burners have very good, very precise controls and the Viking gas broiler is excellent. People pay for dual fuel to have an electric broiler but I like the Viking broiler.

My only advice would be to avoid the electronic features as much as you can. Among people I know, those electronic boards tend to break down and entail very expensive repairs. Restaurants (which can't afford to have a range ever break down) avoid that stuff. Our Viking has the old fashioned analog oven control and it just works. It means you can't do a timed or delayed bake but I'm willing to take that tradeoff.

Reactions: step.eng69

You’re probably leaning towards the Wolf because of your fondness for “red knobs”. :cool:

Other than trying to impress visitors to your house, I don’t think there’s a compelling reason to purchase ultra-high end appliances (including Thermador, Miele etc). All appliances are going to break sooner than you’ll expect because they just don’t make them like they used to. Further, when they do break, the repairs are a lot more expensive ($$$ Labor + parts are sometimes difficult to find).

If you do go with the Wolf range, you’re almost socially obligated to install a Sub-zero refrigerator ($$$$), preferably built-in with wood-paneled doors.:)

Do you and wife desire everything to match (i.e. be similarly nameplated) so that the stainless tones are identical?

You’re probably leaning towards the Wolf because of your fondness for “red knobs”. :cool:

If you do go with the Wolf range, you’re almost socially obligated to install a Sub-zero refrigerator ($$$$).
That's funny ... one of the reasons I went with Viking was I couldn't stand the red knobs ... and I 100% agree with the Subzero needed to compliment the Wolf lol

Other than trying to impress visitors to your house, I don’t think there’s a compelling reason to purchase ultra-high end appliances (including Thermador, Miele etc). All appliances are going to break sooner than you’ll expect because they just don’t make them like they used to. Further, when they do break, the repairs are a lot more expensive ($$$ Labor + parts are sometimes difficult to find).

If you do go with the Wolf range, you’re almost socially obligated to install a Sub-zero refrigerator ($$$$), preferably built-in with wood-paneled doors.:)

Do you and wife desire everything to match (i.e. be similarly nameplated) so that the stainless tones are identical?

You've clearly never cooked on a Viking or Wolf gas range. It's hard to explain to those who haven't, but it's just different. The power and control is amazing.

And no. Other than "stainless," we don't feel at all compelled to have the appliances match. We purchased a Whirlpool fridge (not the high end name plate, but the thing is awesome) and a Bosch dishwasher.

The weird thing to me is, when people put in ultra-high-end kitchens, they often feel the need to have all the appliances match in both color and nameplate. I feel like, when you have higher-end nameplates in your kitchen, it doesn't detract at all if they don't exactly match each other (as long as they individually work in the kitchen). It's when your kitchen is outfitted with low/mid grade stuff where it detracts to not have them match. JMO, and the wife feels the same way.

Reactions: Obliviax
Just something to think about...My late mother in law remodeled her entire house in Scottsdale 3 years ago and she went so high-end (Wolf & Sub-zero) that she completely over improved. It's an incredible house. The comps in the area are well below her investment. Now, we are trying to sell without taking a complete bath.

Plenty of neighborhood ceiling left. With this remodel -- which is adding > 50% square footage btw -- I'll be going from the ugliest/worst house in the neighborhood, to only somewhere in the middle. Lol

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
I did a full Viking kitchen 15 years ago, and wouldn't do that again. Though the range was the best of the appliances I got.
I would look at Thermador, which may be a little cheaper, and BlueStar, which won't.

Interesting -- Two comments regarding 36". I will have to think about this.

I have another 12" to the left, but then that would bring the range to the back patio door (I'm currently planning to have a small 12" cabinet/countertop between the range and the door.

Think it's a problem to have the range up against the door frame?

I have another 12" to the left, but then that would bring the range to the back patio door (I'm currently planning to have a small 12" cabinet/countertop between the range and the door.

fwiw I was only busting your chops!! I am sure it will work out, that said, in whatever, TV computers, high end stoves, I think buy the biggest and baddest you can afford.

That 12” cabinet would be perfect for storing baking sheets and would look better from a kitchen design standpoint.

Reactions: PSU Mike

I second the Thermador recommendation. When we redid our kitchen 3 years ago, we were looking at buying a Sub-Zero fridge, Thermadore dishwasher, and either Wolf range. The dealer talked us out of Viking due to quality issues since the company had been going through some changes (he was a Viking dealer).

Anyway he gave us a great education on appliances and who makes what labels/brands and who supplies the internals. It was quite fascinating as there are only a few companies that make thier own stuff. He talked us down to going all Thermador appliances. We are very happy and Thermador customer service is great. (Thermador is made by Bosch)

Reactions: BoulderFish
That 12” cabinet would be perfect for storing baking sheets and would look better from a kitchen design standpoint.

Not sure if serious (sometimes I can't tell with you), but I agree with that. Especially with the range hood. Feel like it would look kinda weird with against it on only one side.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
fwiw I was only busting your chops!! I am sure it will work out, that said, in whatever, TV computers, high end stoves, I think buy the biggest and baddest you can afford.

Yeah, and the 48" definitely looks bigger and badder than the 36."

Not sure if serious (sometimes I can't tell with you), but I agree with that. Especially with the range hood. Feel like it would look kinda weird with against it on only one side.
Especially since most building codes require the vent hood to extend 3” beyond the outside edge of the cooking surface (i.e. 36” cooktop requires 42” hood). Completely unnecessary, but it depends on how anal your inspector is.

Heard the Wolf interior light is notorious for burning out and is not fun to replace.

YEs, I would not shift/extend the range/hood to be adjacent to the door. If you could go the other way with 12" I would do that. If not , 36" will work

If you are in Boulder, I am very familiar. We have family friends who remodeled an old early 1900's home right downtown.

Yeah, in Boulder. My place is in town, but not sure I would consider it "right downtown" as that implies a block or two from Pearl Street. I'm about a 15-20 minute walk from Pearl (depending on how fast you walk).

Especially since most building codes require the vent hood to extend 3” beyond the outside edge of the cooking surface (i.e. 36” cooktop requires 42” hood).

The IRC building code does not have that requirement. That requirement would have to come from a municipality's revised codes, and I've never seen an instance of it.

Furthermore, I've never seen an installation of a range hood that is wider than the range itself.

Perhaps you've seen a revised code somewhere that considers the outside edge of the stove top heating source (gas flame or electric heating element) as the edge of the cooking surface.

My guess is that this is another case of you having no idea what you're talking about. :)

Yeah, in Boulder. My place is in town, but not sure I would consider it "right downtown" as that implies a block or two from Pearl Street. I'm about a 15-20 minute walk from Pearl (depending on how fast you walk).
Have you ordered your cabinets yet? I just got an email from one of the cabinet manufacturers that I have done business with and the price of plywood sheeting (especially furniture grade) are increasing at a significant rate due to the ITC imposing tariffs as high as 190% on Chinese plywood.

Have you ordered your cabinets yet? I just got an email from one of the cabinet manufacturers that I have done business with and the price of plywood sheeting (especially furniture grade) are increasing at a significant rate due to the ITC imposing tariffs as high as 190% on Chinese plywood.

Already have my cabinets. Who gets plywood from China?

The IRC building code does not have that requirement. That requirement would have to come from a municipality's revised codes, and I've never seen an instance of it.

Furthermore, I've never seen an installation of a range hood that is wider than the range itself.

Perhaps you've seen a revised code somewhere that considers the outside edge of the stove top heating source (gas flame or electric heating element) as the edge of the cooking surface.

My guess is that this is another case of you having no idea what you're talking about. :)
Wanna bet? I had one inspector actually measure the hood width relative to the cooktop width and height above the cooking surface. He even asked to see the installation instructions for the hood vent because according to the building code for that municipality the hood “shall be sized and installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions”. According to that inspector, the edge of the heating surface is defined not as the edge of the flame, but the outside edge of the grate (which was only 1” from the edge of cooktop) because theoretically if a burner is set on “High” underneath a large frying pan the flame could be deflected such that it reached the outside edge of the grate.

As installed (per the manufacturers instructions), the hood vent was too low so after I got my final approvals, I raised the hood to a more convenient height, including cutting 3” off the top of an expensive wood vent cover.

The wider hoods do vent a bit better.

Last edited:
Wanna bet? I had one inspector actually measure the hood width relative to the cooktop width and height above the cooking surface. He even asked to see the installation instructions for the hood vent because according to the building code for that municipality the hood “shall be sized and installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions”. According to that inspector, the edge of the heating surface is defined not as the edge of the flame, but the outside edge of the grate (which was only 1” from the edge of cooktop) because theoretically if a burner is set on “High” underneath a large frying pan the flame could be deflected such that it reached the outside edge of the grate.

Either you were in a municipality which was (is) an exception (i.e. not common) by adding that revised code, or your inspector was wrong.

It is absolutely not true that "most building codes" require a 42" wide hood over a 36" wide range. "Most" building codes use the IRC which simply states that the width of the hood shall not be less than the width of the range ("broiler unit") below -- So, a 36" hood is in compliance for a 36" range.

Either you were in a municipality which was (is) an exception (i.e. not common) by adding that revised code, or your inspector was wrong.

It is absolutely not true that "most building codes" require a 42" wide hood over a 36" wide range. "Most" building codes use the IRC which simply states that the width of the hood shall not be less than the width of the range ("broiler unit") below -- So, a 36" hood is in compliance for a 36" range.
Because it was considered a “commercial style cooktop” (5 20k BTU burners + 1 15k BTU burner) it was subject to the modified building codes for that municipality (principally modifications to their adopted National Fire Code).

You just need to check to see if your appliance is considered residential or pro-style /commercial and any modifications to the applicable codes in your area if it is considered “commercial” based on BTU output.

Last edited:
How in the heck do so many of you have this kinda money????? I feel like I’m doing alright in life, but I can’t touch these brands at present. Lol. Oh well. At least I know what to buy if I ever get that Director position!

Because it was considered a “commercial style cooktop” (5 20k BTU burners + 1 15k BTU burner) it was subject to the modified building codes for than municipality (principally modifications to their adopted National Fire Code).

You just need to check to see if your appliance is considered residential or commercial and any modifications to the applicable codes in your area if it is considered “commercial” based on BTU output.

The international residential building code does not make that commercial/residential distinction, it says that if you have an "open-top broiler unit" a hood/exhaust is required, with no mention of extending beyond the cooking surface. An open top broiler is not a your typical range/cooktop. it means having a built-in grill or cooking surface like a flat top grill.

Technically, the code does not even require an exhaust over a range or cooktop, did your appliance have a built-in grilling/cooking surface?

See section M1505.1 here...
https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/document/IRC2015/chapter-15-exhaust-systems

When I put my 48" Viking in, the hood fan was so powerful that my local code required an additional "air intake vent from outside" (I can't remember the exact language) be installed. So the builder added a air vent in the walkout basement. I can't remember the exact details, but rest assured, I paid extra for it.

When I put my 48" Viking in, the hood fan was so powerful that my local code required an additional "air intake vent from outside" (I can't remember the exact language) be installed. So the builder added a air vent in the walkout basement. I can't remember the exact details, but rest assured, I paid extra for it.

Yeah, any range hood over 400CFM requires "make up air" supply.

This is because decent builders these days build their houses to be quite air tight, and so if you don't have a means to allow air into the house gracefully to make up for the lost air pulled through the range hood, air will be pulled from places/cracks from which you don't want air coming.

For instance, if you have a fireplace/chimney, you'll have soot and dust all over your house -- And especially between your fireplace and range.

Yeah, any range hood over 400CFM requires "make up air" supply.

This is because decent builders these days build their houses to be quite air tight, and so if you don't have a means to allow air into the house gracefully to make up for the lost air pulled through the range hood, air will be pulled from places/cracks from which you don't want air coming.

For instance, if you have a fireplace/chimney, you'll have soot and dust all over your house -- And especially between your fireplace and range.
Yep, that is all exactly what I remember now - make up air, tightly sealed house, fireplace soot

I am going through this.

North of Pittsburgh. Going through Dons Appliances. Don’t like them. Very rude.

Any suggestions on any other vendors.

How in the heck do so many of you have this kinda money????? I feel like I’m doing alright in life, but I can’t touch these brands at present. Lol. Oh well. At least I know what to buy if I ever get that Director position!

I'm probably on the low-end of the financial spectrum of people that typically buy these ranges, but I'm working my ass off and saving a ton of $$ on this renovation by doing so much of it myself -- including what is probably about $30k worth of plumbing and electrical -- and I really want to start cooking at home a lot more once back in this house, so I'm going to splurge and go big/nice on the range.

I'm probably on the low-end of the financial spectrum of people that typically buy these ranges, but I'm working my ass off and saving a ton of $$ on this renovation by doing so much of it myself -- including what is probably about $30k worth of plumbing and electrical -- and I really want to start cooking at home a lot more once back in this house, so I'm going to splurge and go big/nice on the range.

You have received lots of great feedback, but I will be another to mention Thermador. We redid our kitchen about 7 years ago, and as someone said, most things have needed repair. Not our Thermador gas cook top. The functionality and control are awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT