ADVERTISEMENT

OT and Long. Memories of the two games I went to in 1999, Pitt and Ohio St.

roarnittanylions

Jan 3, 2003
I work with a close cousin of Courtney Brown, and he was never able to get any tickets for any of the games because the family was given a limited amount. So I was able to get tickets from a woman I know that was a season ticket holder for the Pitt game and I told Al he was going with me. Seats were in the East Stands about 40 rows up on the 40. We hooked up with his cousins, Courtney's brothers, prior to the game. Had a great time talking with them. His one brother was talking to me about his son, Rodney Kinlaw, on his season and how he wanted to come to PSU. Sterling, one of Courtney's brothers, told us to meet him outside the locker room after the game. We won a close one, 20-17, game ends and we go down to the locker room. Sterling comes out and drags us in. Players are introducing them selves to us. I can remember Boyd, Macklin, Short, and Kurpeikis. Lavar was being interviewed in the media room, which we went to next. After all the interviews were done, we exited the back doors where all the fans waited for the players to come out to get their autograph. I was in all my glory walking through those doors. I am 6'4" 295, and all these kids come running up to me. I was honest and told them I am not a player, but Courtney was coming through right behind us. They flocked to him and he was great with them. On our way to go eat with the family, a guy ran from his tailgate to us across the road with his mini replica of the PSU Lion, which weighed about 125 lbs, for Courtney to sign. After we bid his family goodbye, Courtney and Sterling walked with us back to get our car. I didn't bring up anything on football, but Courtney said to me, "Al told me you are a pretty big fan of us, what do you think about this year?" I told him "You guys are going to play FSU for the NC." He grinned and said "You think so?" I told him that the D is great and the O needs to come around a little more, but yes. We got our car and took him back to the Football Dorm. Got to meet some other players before we left to go home.

Now for the Ohio State game, not as long as the Pitt story. I took my best friend with me, a die hard Buckeye fan. I got our tickets from a friend that was a PSU grad and season ticket holder, we sat in NB. We won 23 -10 and had a great view of Lavar close lining Bellisari on the Ohio State sidelines. After the game I took my buddy down to where the entrance to the locker room was. I told him lets go and he didn't want to. I told him the worst can happen we would get kicked out. We enter the locker room and head to the media room. We watched the interviews after the game, couldn't find any of Courtney's brothers. Again, I was in all my glory when we walked through the back doors out. Kids come running up, but I was honest again and told them I was not a player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT