ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Amsterdam

rivalion

Dec 21, 2001
I'm planning a river cruise and we are debating going to Amsterdam a couple of days early. Has any one gone to a place near by called: Giethoorn. If so, is it worth going to see? Any other recommendations of things to see. Already planning to hit Ann Frank House Museum and Van Gogh Museum. Thanks

I'm planning a river cruise and we are debating going to Amsterdam a couple of days early. Has any one gone to a place near by called: Giethoorn. If so, is it worth going to see? Any other recommendations of things to see. Already planning to hit Ann Frank House Museum and Van Gogh Museum. Thanks
Riejksmuseum (I'm sure I've spelled that incorrectly) is even better than Van Gogh museum, although both are very worth seeing. A boat cruise can help learn about the city. Indonesian food is recommended (think Indian cuisine in England). Ann Frank house is definitely worth it, although the lines care long (but move pretty quickly).

My wife's experience smoking weed will go down in family lore.

Great city that is absolutely worth visiting. Good luck!

Reactions: JoeFi

here's a couple other options ...

We had a good thread about Amsterdam about a month ago.....can anybody track it down for this poster?

Purchase tickets in advance for the both the Ann Frank House and the Van Gogh museum. And I mean a few months in advance. Lines are very long at both locations. . Rijksmuseum is often part of the river cruise itinerary. Check your daily schedule first.

Just got back a week ago from Amsterdam and a side train trip to cologne. We had a great time. Yes, the Rijks is very good. Be sure to see Night Watch. The Marritime museum was very good too. We had a great time on the Heineken VIP tour and got shit faced. If you do that, buy tix before you leave as you need to schedule a date and time as they only take 8 per tour. The floating flower market was cool too. Some really funny stuff for sale there. My wife bought tulip bulbs to bring back. If you do that make sure they are labeled properly to pass US Customs. Only a max of 12 bulbs too.

Amsterdam is a great walkable city with great pubs, coffeehouses (weed if you want it), cafes and shops. The people were great too. I would highly recommend doing a couple of days there. Enjoy!!

Bull Dogs Cafe

Coincidentally, wife and I have a July Viking cruise scheduled for July with two pre-cruise days in Amsterdam. Our plans there are loose at this point but will likely consist of ad hoc city center walking and on-off canal and land transportation. Our cruise goes from Amsterdam to Budapest with multiple stops in The Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Hungary over the course of about two weeks. Which cruise are you considering?

Heineken Experience. If you like great beer, and a unique look at the brewing experience of Heineken, it's great. Lots of fun things to see and do in the museum/attraction. Not really a typical brewery tour, because I don't believe they brew on premises, but it's much better and is family oriented. Plus they give you some tastes of the freshest Heineken on this planet. They also give you some unique Heineken souvenirs.

Coincidentally, wife and I have a July Viking cruise scheduled for July with two pre-cruise days in Amsterdam. Our plans there are loose at this point but will likely consist of ad hoc city center walking and on-off canal and land transportation. Our cruise goes from Amsterdam to Budapest with multiple stops in The Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Hungary over the course of about two weeks. Which cruise are you considering?
took that cruise 2 years ago. you'll love it. viking does a great job with the river cruises. also did the baltic last summer on one of their ocean liners. a very enjoyable trip, as well.

I was in Amsterdam for a PSU bowl game one time. The game started at midnight or 2 am something crazy and we went to a bar and smoked hash and ate pancakes.

It was awesome.

Sounds like we are booked on the same cruise that you are doing except we leave in the middle of August. We added the Prague extension. Please provide your thoughts on the cruise when you return. Trying to decide if to buy the 2 day pre cruise or just arrange it ourselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT