ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alright kick off to summer holiday weekend for you northerners.... Grilling Time

I got two big chuck roasts from Sam's. Going for the grill sear and then the dutch oven for Italian beef sandwiches with pepperoncini Monday. Burgers tonight.

Slow-Cooker-Italian-Beef-Sandwiches-6.jpg

It going to be Canadian whiskey. And a lot of it.

Blood pressure already up. Just unwrapped the pork butt from the butcher paper and the freeking e my butcher trimmed all the fat off of it. Loosing my effing mind. Who does that unless your putting it a crockpot or something? Off to Costco.
Perhaps laying some fatty thick cut bacon on top of that might cure your ills. But yes, that is total BS from a professional butcher.

It has already been replaced and is residing near the creek for the raccoons.

Reactions: bwifan
Spatchcock chicken tonight..Peruvian rub.

Reverse sear smoked tenderloin roast, spare ribs and smoked salmon tomorrow!

Smoking Cohiba Cubans and drinking El Dorado 15 yr rum throughout the weekend!
Directions (to your place), please!?! I’m carrying both the 12 and 15 year “Los Dorados” at the moment — two totally different animals, IMO. Have kept the 12 on hand to break the whisky monotony for like 15 years now - love it in a brandy snifter. Of course a nice anejo tequila or mezcal helps as a change up as well. In fact, I’m now inspired — see you guys tomorrow ...

Directions (to your place), please!?! I’m carrying both the 12 and 15 year “Los Dorados” at the moment — two totally different animals, IMO. Have kept the 12 on hand to break the whisky monotony for like 15 years now - love it in a brandy snifter. Of course a nice anejo tequila or mezcal helps as a change up as well. In fact, I’m now inspired — see you guys tomorrow ...
They are totally two different animals. I usually enjoys rums with my cigars, but when I am not smoking...whiskey and tequila are my go to.

Grilling salmon tonight. I usually just use salt, pepper, lemon, and fresh dill. Does anyone use a sauce - thinking of honey, mustard, sour cream, dill combo? Anyone tried something like this?

Grilling salmon tonight. I usually just use salt, pepper, lemon, and fresh dill. Does anyone use a sauce - thinking of honey, mustard, sour cream, dill combo? Anyone tried something like this?
Try sliced lemon on the grill and the salmon on top of the lemon slices. I also love balsamic reduction when plating the salmon.

Reactions: dbaguy and Nitwit
Just 6 lbs of American wagyu tri tip. I’m going to try a new process where I smoke on Big Green Egg, then sous vide, chill, finish by bring up to temp via the Big Green Egg. The chill and second trip in the BGE is supposed to help with bark that you don’t get with typical SV bath.

https://anovaculinary.com/how-to-combine-sous-vide-and-smoke-for-the-best-bbq-ever/

I tried the Big Green Egg and sous vide combo method on a very nice American wagyu tri tip. Rubbed with meat church holy cow, smoked at 150 degrees until internal temp was 120, then SV at 132.5 degrees for 8 hours, ice water shock and in fridge over night, then returned to 120 internal temp via BGE at 150 degrees. This was like butter! Best steak sandwich I’ve ever made.

here's the thing though, I have a Traeger and it is great, but it is generally used for long slow cooks. You still need your gas grill for steaks, burgers etc.
I know Traeger says you can do both, but you can use an 16# hammer to drive finish nails as well! There is a better tool for the job though.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I am kicking around a small Kitchen Aid grill as well. What attracts me to the Kitchen Aid Grills is they have a Seering section. They sell them at Home Depot. I am not sure it is that good, so I'll have to do some research. Though cheaper than a Weber, I don't want to waste money. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kitchen...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-300076407-_-300025217-_-N

I do like the Q in general. As a grill it does an okay job. What's great about it is you can throw it and the stand in the trunk and take it anywhere. It's great for camping, or even better for tailgating.

Reactions: bwifan and sluggo72
I tried the Big Green Egg and sous vide combo method on a very nice American wagyu tri tip. Rubbed with meat church holy cow, smoked at 150 degrees until internal temp was 120, then SV at 132.5 degrees for 8 hours, ice water shock and in fridge over night, then returned to 120 internal temp via BGE at 150 degrees. This was like butter! Best steak sandwich I’ve ever made.

You spent how much time making a sandwich?

Serious question.....which egg is the best value for the price?

Green:

EGG-L_straight_2018.jpg

Red:

bigjoeiii.jpg

Blue:

LGK24_blue.png

You spent how much time making a sandwich?

Serious question.....which egg is the best value for the price?

Green:

EGG-L_straight_2018.jpg

Red:

bigjoeiii.jpg

Blue:

LGK24_blue.png
I don’t know the price differences or values. Who makes the blue one? It seems that kamado joe has some useful accessories, but are largely compatible with the BGE, but BGE is more popular.

Also, it’s not that much work to SV once it’s in the bag and the temp controller/fan I have on the BGE makes that easy as well.

I don’t know the price differences or values. Who makes the blue one? It seems that kamado joe has some useful accessories, but are largely compatible with the BGE, but BGE is more popular.

Also, it’s not that much work to SV once it’s in the bag and the temp controller/fan I have on the BGE makes that easy as well.

I think Louisiana Grills makes the blue one that is sold at Costco.

I was joking about your sandwich. I found it humorous that you spent two days making a sandwich. I realize it was more than one sandwich and it was high end meat.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Reviving this thread. Ready to pull the trigger on the Kamado Joe Classic III unless someone here can convince me otherwise. Choosing this over others because it comes with so many expensive accessories (above what the Classic II has) and currently gives you the choice of an additional $250 worth of accessories included in the price of the unit. And my next door neighbor has one so we can borrow each other's accessories that we don't have when needed. Any thoughts? Anyone else have this grill? This type of grill?

My wife got me a new Weber grill for the shore house for Fathers Day. My standard meal there is fresh swordfish (3 minutes per side) or tuna steaks rare with corn on the cob and sliced Jersey tomatoes topped with balsamic vinegar and basil from the garden. Tastes wonderful and a healthy meal at the same time. I also do steamed clams over pasta, grilled grouper or snapper (no flags), London Broil marinated in balsamic and spices, and zucchini and asparagus on the grill doused in olive oil. Another specialty is grilled whole Cornish Hens (roast on the lowest temperature setting and use outside burner only for about 50 minutes), set it and forget it, and grilled pineapple slices just to caramelize them. Pineapple will go well with thick cut bone in pork chops or any kind of poultry. Grilled artichokes soaked in garlic butter is another versatile treat.

Tonight I’m back home and doing a slow crock pot dinner of lamb shanks and imported Israeli couscous. Having a nice Malbec to accompany it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00 and BBrown
My wife got me a new Weber grill for the shore house for Fathers Day. My standard meal there is fresh swordfish (3 minutes per side) or tuna steaks rare with corn on the cob and sliced Jersey tomatoes topped with balsamic vinegar and basil from the garden. Tastes wonderful and a healthy meal at the same time. I also do steamed clams over pasta, grilled grouper or snapper (no flags), London Broil marinated in balsamic and spices, and zucchini and asparagus on the grill doused in olive oil. Another specialty is grilled whole Cornish Hens (roast on the lowest temperature setting and use outside burner only for about 50 minutes), set it and forget it, and grilled pineapple slices just to caramelize them. Pineapple will go well with thick cut bone in pork chops or any kind of poultry. Grilled artichokes soaked in garlic butter is another versatile treat.

Tonight I’m back home and doing a slow crock pot dinner of lamb shanks and imported Israeli couscous. Having a nice Malbec to accompany it.

Cheers

You’re the true grill master. Just let us know when we should all show up for dinner. :D

Reactions: Nitwit
After seeing a buddies, I have been converted to a griddle

great for everything from steaks to pancakes

Got a new grill last weekend. Tried it out with some chicken yesterday to get the feel of it. Saturday should be plenty of burgers and dogs as the grandparents are comi6in.

I got two big chuck roasts from Sam's. Going for the grill sear and then the dutch oven for Italian beef sandwiches with pepperoncini Monday. Burgers tonight.

Slow-Cooker-Italian-Beef-Sandwiches-6.jpg
That’s a new one for me. It looks and sounds awesome.

After seeing a buddies, I have been converted to a griddle

great for everything from steaks to pancakes
I won’t exchange that for my Joe or TEC, but have been tempted to add one to the deck to try out. Probably the most versatile of the set ups for grilling.

I won’t exchange that for my Joe or TEC, but have been tempted to add one to the deck to try out. Probably the most versatile of the set ups for grilling.
the clean up from bacon and scrambled eggs is so easy that if you use it for nothing else it might be worth it

Reactions: cment

Cheers
You’re the true grill master. Just let us know when we should all show up for dinner. :D
As long as I’m self quarantining I might as well eat well. I’m retired so I’ve got plenty of time to enjoy food and drink. But we either do curbside pickup from the supermarket at home or just go into small fish markets or produce stands at the shore to stay as safe as possible. I even have my wine delivered and just hang out on my decks and read. No one other than people in the stores are wearing face masks at the shore. I bring meats and nibbles from home.

What is everyone grilling / smoking this weekend?

I'm smoking a pork butt tomorrow to pick at all weekend. For Friday I have four chicken halves and some burgers for a party with the in-laws. Saturday is at my sister's house for a party with my family (we are trying to stay in small groups, outside and distanced, hence the different days) so I get a break. Sunday I'm doing a smoked picanha. My first attempt at that and I'm pretty excited.

As long as I’m self quarantining I might as well eat well. I’m retired so I’ve got plenty of time to enjoy food and drink. But we either do curbside pickup from the supermarket at home or just go into small fish markets or produce stands at the shore to stay as safe as possible. I even have my wine delivered and just hang out on my decks and read. No one other than people in the stores are wearing face masks at the shore. I bring meats and nibbles from home.
Assuming your shore house is in South Jersey, what are your favorite fish markets?

ADVERTISEMENT