ADVERTISEMENT

OT: All knowing board; advice on water proof cameras.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Looking for a point and shoot camera to use while mountain biking, canoeing, fishing, backpacking. One that can take water, mud, dust, bouncing around. Not action cameras that you bolt on to a helmet like a GoPro but more like the Panasonic DMC TS6Z Luminix

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.

I have an older version of this one:

Amazon product ASIN B00B728M5U
Very happy with it, has been all over the world with me and under some severe conditions (diving, -20 F, desert, whitewater, etc.) but also takes excellent pictures as an every day use point-and-shoot. I have dropped it way more times than I would like but never had any issues with function. Highly recommend it.

Reactions: BBrown
I used a Nikon cool pix, it was really cool, can't remember the model.

Looking for a point and shoot camera to use while mountain biking, canoeing, fishing, backpacking. One that can take water, mud, dust, bouncing around. Not action cameras that you bolt on to a helmet like a GoPro but more like the Panasonic DMC TS6Z Luminix

Why NOT a GoPro? You don't HAVE to 'bolt' it to your head you know. There is no need to get the top of the line GoPro either. Their devices span the spectrum, and above all, their older models are still available for good prices. From Amazon I see their original model available for $115, and $150 for the 'kit'.

Anyhow, good luck!

I got the Optrix XD5 case for iphone. Only $30, completely seals your iphone. We have a extra iphone that we are using it with for scuba in australia and hawaii this summer. A truly good waterproof camera is going to be north of $250. Anything less clouds up after getting out of the water, battery lasts like 20 minutes, or gives crap photos. If it doesn't work well, we'll get a disposable. Report back with what works. I'll post my photos in August.

Reactions: kijanalives
How deep do you plan to take the camera? We snorkel quite a bit so the Nikon CoolPix is fine at about 10 meters. It's also great for sporting events in the rain, or any event on or near the water.

Why NOT a GoPro? You don't HAVE to 'bolt' it to your head you know. There is no need to get the top of the line GoPro either. Their devices span the spectrum, and above all, their older models are still available for good prices. From Amazon I see their original model available for $115, and $150 for the 'kit'.

Anyhow, good luck!
Why not?? because they hit or miss relative to reliability, they have a lot of problems, at least the one I have does, and googling youtube, you find many of the same problems. I am ready to try an activeon from amazon.

Thanks for the help. There are so many to chose from and when I read online comparisons, they all give different answers. One common complaint is that is is often hard to see the viewing display in daylight to frame out a pic. Others is pic quality, some even saying that a good phone will have better picture quality. I am sure much of that is depending on which model one buys....cheap vs good.

Have a smartphone? Check out the Optrix line of cases. I have one for my iPhone 6s; used it under water snorkeling, in the rainforest during a deluge, in the MT snowboarding....best feature is the multiple lenses, mine came with 0 degree (mimics your regular lense just keeps it waterproof in the case), wide-angle, teleZoom (4x-8x), and fish eye lense (GoPro-ish).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT