ADVERTISEMENT

OT - AKB - cost of residing my home

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I’m interested in having the old vinyl siding removed from my shore home and replaced with new vinyl shingles on the front, and lateral siding on the other three sides. I also want to get new flat panel siding material up an open stairwell and above the parking area underneath the home (the house sits on pilings) and have shutters installed on the front two windows. I also need new gutters installed and soffits, and the “ceiling” above 4 decks done. I don’t know the amount of materials needed, but the structure is a small 2 story building which contains two 3 bedroom two bath condos, each of about 1000 square feet, one above the other on each floor. I’ve contacted a local contractor who did our roof a few years ago and they are a certified Certainteed dealer. Their salesman is throwing crazy numbers around, talking about constant price increases of materials, and delays due to the long wait times for shipments. AKB - can anyone ballpark a reasonable cost for all this, or relate the cost of similar projects lately? I know there are a lot of variables at play. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
The good contractors in our area are very, very busy, because COVID cut down on vacation time and people decided to spend their money on fixing/remodeling their homes instead. If you want your work done quickly, be more careful than usual in hiring a contractor.
Yep - they are talking 6 months wait time.

This is very consistent with what I have seen personally (home renovation work) and professionally (design / specification on commercial work) for over a year now. Do not expect pricing to come down (other than some renewable wood based products) or lead times to decrease for at least the next year or so. It has been difficult to design / specify projects around what is more readily available domestically. Even domestically produced products can be iffy due to worker shortages in manufacturing/warehousing/transportation, not to mention the lack of skilled laborers in the field.

They are getting top dollar. Contractors I've used before have told me that they cannot take a job under $100k as they are too busy and their carpenters have to do labor work as well due to no laborers. No one can find employees. No one can get parts or materials. Everything costs about 30% - 50% more. Not a good time to do construction.

ADVERTISEMENT