ADVERTISEMENT

OT: AKB aka My Family, need finacial advice for best way to access cash.

And I’d say those people are the people who don’t understand good debt vs bad.

And you would be wrong. I am always amazed at the animosity towards people that aren't in debt. It's a choice. I have been in debt and I have been out of debt. I choose the latter. I'm willing to bet most that are on their high horse about "good debt" and "bad debt" have never been 100% debt free. I have never been in a better financial situation. I have more flexibly and financial security now than ever. I understand that route isn't the norm and that some prefer a different path. But It has nothing to do with understanding finances.

And you would be wrong. I am always amazed at the animosity towards people that aren't in debt. It's a choice. I have been in debt and I have been out of debt. I choose the latter. I'm willing to bet most that are on their high horse about "good debt" and "bad debt" have never been 100% debt free. I have never been in a better financial situation. I have more flexibly and financial security now than ever. I understand that route isn't the norm and that some prefer a different path. But It has nothing to do with understanding finances.

Was debt free for most of the last decade til I picked up a house and a car (at 0%) last year. I’m not sure where you picked up any animosity in my post, far more animosity coming from you than me.

Reactions: PSU Mike
For any of you that are mortgage loan professionals, what is the current market interest rate for a 30 year mortgage loan with good/great credit scores (800) and a loan to value of 60%-75%? Last month, I was quoted 2.74% by SunTrust/Truist. This seems like a good rate, so I am curious if lenders are offering even lower rates.

Due to my low loan to value %, I have considered taking "cash-out" in the mortgage loan refinancing. If I go this route, how will this impact the current market interest rate of 2.74% and closing costs?

Get a 15 year mortgage and prepay it as fast as you like. Do not liquidate your assets. Debt now is cheap.

Keep your accumulated wealth! It is not easy to accumulate ~ $2MM of cash and investments. Bravo to you!

Thanks everyone. I'm going with 20% down and 15 year fixed for the rest with faster pay down. Market here is inflated, limited, quirky, rentals are non-existent. Thanks again.
Please do me one favor and ensure that your loan documents allow you to accelerate principal repayments.

Reactions: NedFromYork
dont go down the rental property in an IRA road asking no begging for trouble....
I have a self-directed IRA that invests in real estate. One issue came up on an investment that was partly owned by me and another entity. The first 2 tax lawyers (charging $300 an hour) couldn't help me. A second charging $600 an hour gave bad advice. Finally, I found someone charging $800 an hour and he solved the problem. Don't go near this even with a 10 foot pole.

On my end, I am a lawyer and I typically average about 10% on real estate investments so it works for me. For 98% of people it is simply a time bomb waiting to go off.

Reactions: sluggo72
ADVERTISEMENT