ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A personal note to the McAndrew Board Members......

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Wasn't sure what to put in the subject line, but here goes.....

Some of you might recall my post from a year ago regarding my wife. To summarize, while on vacation in Florida last August my wife collapsed, we found out she had a brain tumor and I drove her back to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for treatment, etc.

After a long hard year, my wife passed away in mid-August, a little over a month ago. Oligodendrogliomas are a bitch. But that's not why I am posting. I'd like to share a few poignant Penn State related moments from the past few weeks since my wife's passing.......

We met at Penn State as undergrads in the early '80's. We were season ticket holders for many years but in the last ten or so years my wife only attended one or two games a year. One of my friends, who often used my wife's ticket, sent me a text the night after my wife's funeral. It read "Just wanted to tell you that on my way to ----'s funeral, "Don't Stop Believin' " came on the radio. The playing of that song was always one of my favorite moments at Beaver Stadium, and since I always sat in ----'s seat, well, was it coincidence? I think not."

A few weeks later, my 13 year old son and I loaded up the SUV and headed to State College for the Kent State game. As we pulled out of the driveway at 6AM, I turned on the radio and guess what song was playing? "Don't Stop Believin' ". Honest to God.

I spent a lot of that weekend walking around campus and town with my son retracing a lot of history.
Bigler hall, where my wife lived as a freshman...the Nat across the street where my wife and I would meet, swim (and then head back to her room at Bigler Hall)...her apartment above Lion's Pride that she subleased one summer and my apartment on Beaver that I subleased the same summer (my rather conservative parents told me years later that they didn't understand why we didn't share an apartment that summer)....all the places on campus where we would meet to study -- the HUB, a certain lecture hall in Walker Bldg...Pattee.....Hammond. The Forum Building where we would see movies on Saturday and would then return on Sunday afternoon for "Boozer's Mass".

It was a great weekend...probably the best one I've ever had at Penn State.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure how what to put in the subject line, but here goes.....

Some of you might recall my post from a year ago regarding my wife. To summarize, while on vacation in Florida last August my wife collapsed, we found out she had a brain tumor and I drove her back to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for treatment, etc.

After a long hard year, my wife passed away in mid-August, a little over a month ago. Oligodendrogliomas are a bitch. But that's not why I am posting. I'd like to share a few poignant Penn State related moments from the past few weeks since my wife's passing.......

We met at Penn State as undergrads in the early '80's. We were season ticket holders for many years but in the last ten or so years my wife only attended one or two games a year. One of my friends, who often used my wife's ticket, sent me a text the night after my wife's funeral. It read "Just wanted to tell you that on my way to ----'s funeral, "Don't Stop Believin' " came on the radio. The playing of that song was always one of my favorite moments at Beaver Stadium, and since I always sat in ----'s seat, well, was it coincidence? I think not."

A few weeks later, my 13 year old son and I loaded up the SUV and headed to State College for the Kent State game. As we pulled out of the driveway at 6AM, I turned on the radio and guess what song was playing? "Don't Stop Believin' ". Honest to God.

I spent a lot of that weekend walking around campus and town with my son retracing a lot of history.
Bigler hall, where my wife lived as a freshman...the Nat across the street where my wife and I would meet, swim (and then head back to her room at Bigler Hall)...her apartment above Lion's Pride that she subleased one summer and my apartment on Beaver that I subleased the same summer (my rather conservative parents told me years later that they didn't understand why we didn't share an apartment that summer)....all the places on campus where we would meet to study -- the HUB, a certain lecture hall in Walker Bldg...Pattee.....Hammond. The Forum Building where we would see movies on Saturday and would then return on Sunday afternoon for "Boozer's Mass".

God certainly does work in mysterious ways. I'm sorry to hear of your wife's passing so young, but I'm glad you were able to share such wonderful memories with your son.

Please accept my condolences. It sounds like you had a meaningful weekend with your son. That's wonderful. Both of my parents died when I was in my teens and I have a younger sister. We both struggled at times. I fully empathize and wish you both the very best in working through the grieving process.

My sympathies to you, and your son, on the loss of your dear wife/mom. It was good your son was able to walk where your wife walked....see what she saw....get a feeling for a happy time in her life, and yours. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
I can't begin to understand what it must be like to lose your wife. You have my most sincere condolences.

I am glad that you decided to share the story about your wife and the memories about Penn State. It warmed my heart... I am sure that the next time I hear "Can't Stop Believing" on the radio, it will be you and your wife that I think about, as well as Penn State.

WE ARE!!!

Great memories! I hope they sustain you through the years. I will pray for you and your son.
PSU is a special place and produces special people and I think you are one of them. A wife is a partner, confidant and person who helps you get through the rough times, let her (memory) do the same for you.

CF, I remember your post well. I particularity was touched when you had said something at the time to the effect that you were thinking of "the girl you met at East Halls". Sorry if I don't have that exactly right, but it was very moving to me at the time. You have my condolences and I wish you and your family well. Take care and stay strong.

Last edited:

That's beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Beautiful post. Best wishes to you and your family.

I would like to make an offer and hopefully it is not offensive certainly not the intent. If you email me I would like to offer to custom frame an image of your wife or your family for your home. It's on the shop. Email is statecollegeframing@comcast.net, I am John.

Best wishes.
Wonderful gesture, Dukie.

CF, my heart goes out to you and your family. Those were more than just words in your post. The feelings and emotions, that was beautiful. I'm glad you were able to share those memories with your son. Thank you for sharing that. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Met my husband 47 years ago while I was living in Bigler Hall. The wonderful thing about having a partner that shared your college experience are the memories that paved the way for a lifetime. May you and your son have many opportunities to travel to State College and recapture the magic of those years. My heartfelt sympathy to your family.

CF- So sorry to hear this news. Sounds like you have some great memories and family to lean on. You know this is a great board if you ever feel the need to just vent.

CF, I'm sorry to read about your wife's passing.

Every time I've seen a post from you in the past year, I've wondered how your wife was doing. I feared the worse, knowing a bit about what she had, but also had high hopes as Penn is one of the top hospitals for brain tumors.

You have my deepest sympathies.

You said it best: Oligodendrogliomas are a bitch.

I enjoyed reading about your Kent St. weekend, and the Don't Stop Believin coincidences. Penn State is a great place, but it's people's shared memories, or individual memories, at various spots on campus that make is so special.

If the board, or I, can be of any assistance to you in this time, don't hesitate to ask.

CF, that was a really touching post, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

In some way, you have demonstrated the best of this board. We gather here to discuss issues, celebrate and gripe, trade quips, and talk about common interests. But it is also a place for friendship and support, which I hope you can feel tonight.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved wife/son's mom. Your poignant story reminds me of the loss of my wife to cancer in 1994. We, too, met and fell in love in college. While the feeling of her loss never quite leaves, you will "see" her through various significant events in the years ahead ... And your son will likewise feel her presence during meaningful moments in his life. My 2 sons and I grew closer as we struggled to make sense of the devastation we felt. I pray that you and your son will likewise experience her loving aura as she watches over you. May God bless you both.

A beautiful life remembered, and a future 'to believe in' for and with your son. For all of us, every sunrise and every sunset is a blessing. Very sorry for your loss.

As one celebrated sports figure has noted in his final gesture -- 'Never Give Up. Never, Ever Give Up'.

Beautiful post. Best wishes to you and your family.

I would like to make an offer and hopefully it is not offensive certainly not the intent. If you email me I would like to offer to custom frame an image of your wife or your family for your home. It's on the shop. Email is statecollegeframing@comcast.net, I am John.

Best wishes.
Dukie, awesome offer! Well done, I say!

I don't know if posts like that from CF LION appear on other boards. If so, I think they are rare. Even if they do appear, it is difficult to imagine a more heartfelt outpouring of support than that we have seen here. It makes be proud to be a member of this family.

Dear CF,
I am extending my condolences as my eyes are blurred with tears. Like others who have responded I lost my wife as well to cancer ( it will be 7 years on 10/10). We met at age 12 and the world can become a very strange and unfamiliar place when suddenly the best half of you is gone. I sometimes find that I am a stranger to myself.
I'm not an alum...just a Pennsylvania boy with a Penn State heart. When my wife passed, I knew that I would never be able to celebrate Christmas again (she really enjoyed going overboard with gift for our boys etc). Our sons were young adults and also huge PSU Football Fans (don't know if they had a choice.) I had a close friend who coached for JVP and we used to go to spring practice etc. when they were young. In fact, the photo above is one such visit. Anyway, I celebrate the holiday by taking them for a week to PSU's bowl destination. We are able to avoid the sadness and instead enjoy the excitement of PSU Football. I think the moment we all enjoyed most was attending Joe's last bowl pep rally in Tampa. I am so glad we could witness that.
You and your son will have fond memories of your wife, and yes create some new ones as well. While I don't know you and we will never meet, you and your son will be in my prayers.

CF, my condolences on your loss. Wishing you and your son all the best.

My wife and I were on campus last weekend for the temple game. There is something soothing about getting back to University Park. Of course, my wife and I have memories of our time as students, but it is just a beautiful campus with so much to see and do and so much energy, that we just love going back. We had a few days away from the real world. It's just awesome being there.

Thanks so much for the kind and supportive words everyone. My wife was a proud and very accomplished Penn Stater who gave back to the community in many ways. I learned much from her and whatever redeeming qualities I might possess are due to her. I changed my avatar so you could see how beautiful she was.

Dear CF,
I am extending my condolences as my eyes are blurred with tears. Like others who have responded I lost my wife as well to cancer ( it will be 7 years on 10/10). We met at age 12 and the world can become a very strange and unfamiliar place when suddenly the best half of you is gone. I sometimes find that I am a stranger to myself.
I'm not an alum...just a Pennsylvania boy with a Penn State heart. When my wife passed, I knew that I would never be able to celebrate Christmas again (she really enjoyed going overboard with gift for our boys etc). Our sons were young adults and also huge PSU Football Fans (don't know if they had a choice.) I had a close friend who coached for JVP and we used to go to spring practice etc. when they were young. In fact, the photo above is one such visit. Anyway, I celebrate the holiday by taking them for a week to PSU's bowl destination. We are able to avoid the sadness and instead enjoy the excitement of PSU Football. I think the moment we all enjoyed most was attending Joe's last bowl pep rally in Tampa. I am so glad we could witness that.
You and your son will have fond memories of your wife, and yes create some new ones as well. While I don't know you and we will never meet, you and your son will be in my prayers.
Powerful post marshall23. My belated sympathy and my thoughts and prayers go out to you as well.

Reactions: nits74 and CF LION
A few additional things to add to the thread:

1. I went back and looked up CF's post from last year when he first posted about his wife's health issues. You can read it at THIS LINK.

2. CF mentioned his son in his post earlier this evening, and many of you have mentioned him in your replies. If I recall correctly, CF has a daughter that graduated from Duquesne two years ago. I don't know how many kids CF has, but let's keep his entire family in our prayers.

3. CF changed his avatar this evening. I've never met CF, or his wife, but my guess is he's now featuring a lovely picture of his wife in his avatar. (Edit: appears I was writing this while CF was posting that it was a pic of his wife.)

CF Lion,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for sharing your story. It is very touching.

I feel that the song coincidence is not really a coincidence at all. Its a sign from your wife that she will always be with you and your family. The song was just her way of sharing that with you.

Oh and your wife is definitely a lovely looking women!

Again, thanks for sharing!

CF,
I have no words I can add that are worthy of joining the sentiments already posted above. Best I can do is add my sincere prayers for you and your family.
I lost a great friend to the same thing a couple years back. His child is now a PSU student. He would be SO proud.
God bless. May your cherished memories get you through the difficult times.

ADVERTISEMENT