ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2026 World Cup Bid goes to.....

Are you really really trying to make the case that soccer is more dangerous to the head than American football? I mean really. This is a real, true serious argument you are trying to make?
I think football is under attack. Other sports have their dangers too.

You’re right- I didn’t really notice until you pointed it out. They are considering Baltimore (seriously?), Cincinnati and Nashville but not Chicago?

I’m also surprised Canada picked Edmonton over Vancouver, Calgary, or Ottawa.
Chicago self-deselected. Too much shitshow how for a bankrupt city and state.

Reactions: psu00
Four years ago, I would have been excited. Now? Meh. But that's largely due to the shenanigans MLS has been playing with my Crew. If they move, I doubt I will ever watch another soccer match in the US at a high level. I might make an exception for college (or lower games).

As an American dad who has been coaching for seven years now, I take offense!

Seriously, though, even in those seven years and even within the context of our little travel club, I have seen the quality of coaching take off exponentially. We're getting more and more guys who played at the college level or are professional trainers, and the results can be seen on the field. You don't need to be English to be a good coach. You need to know the game -- and we've got more of those people, on both the boys and girls teams, than we ever had before.

That being said, I do agree that we need a culture change. Our youth system is essentially pay-for-play and as a result so many kids from less advantaged backgrounds are locked out of the system. There is a massive pool of talent out there that we aren't reaching. But instead of things progressing in a way that can get those kids involved, what I'm seeing is the creation of more and more "mega clubs" that come in and sell parents on an "elite" experience; they draw kids away from their clubs, teams fall apart, and in the end, all the parents get is a bigger bill for essentially the same experience. Just recently I've heard about one of the most established and historic clubs in the Philly area here losing teams/kids to a new mega-club -- I just don't know what some parents think they are chasing.

Also, I know it's almost impossible to do, but the MLS needs to change its structure, get on the global calendar, free up the clubs to buy and sell players like the rest of the world does, and yes, eventual adopt a promotion and relegation system. Until we get there the league, as fun as it is and as strong as it's become, will never take the next step.

Finally, college soccer is a problem. They just play far too few games and kids don't get the chance to develop over those four years as much as they should.
Is GPS one of those mega clubs?

Are you really really trying to make the case that soccer is more dangerous to the head than American football? I mean really. This is a real, true serious argument you are trying to make?

Ask Twellman and Ross Paule....

and, is Liverpool? They seem to have made a huge push in SE MI
Wow, didn't realize that Liverpool had a US youth presence. I'm torn since they are my EPL team, but I've been somewhat annoyed at the GPS approach in my local area.

That said, I can't blame these clubs for trying to tap into fertile ground, especially if they are willing to develop kids that can't afford the pay-to-play American clubs. Would certainly help US soccer in the long run.

Is GPS one of those mega clubs?

The ones that are causing issues in our area (Philly) are Penn Alliance and FC Bucks. Perhaps mega-club isn't the right term, but in the case of Penn Alliance what they've done is combine two long-established clubs (Upper Dublin and Hunter) and created this joint "elite" venture. It's causing programs for the local clubs and I honestly don't see what the reason is (except for the money). Penn Alliance charges $3,000.

Why are you irritated?

I find it irritating. Who goes on a post about something in which you clearly have no interest, only to voice your boredom in the subject.
I am not saying you are a troll in this forum, you clearly are not, however, what was the motive for coming onto thread to say the subject bores you.
There are numerous threads on there, but people don't do that.

I find it odd that grown men seem to be celebrating the rape of a child in the teacher post. Or the clear double standard they have.
I am not there calling them out on that (though maybe I will)

So the answer as to why are we irritated is that you specifically came on here to put down something we clearly have an interest in.

Four years ago, I would have been excited. Now? Meh. But that's largely due to the shenanigans MLS has been playing with my Crew. If they move, I doubt I will ever watch another soccer match in the US at a high level. I might make an exception for college (or lower games).
That really sucks about the Crew.

I find it irritating. Who goes on a post about something in which you clearly have no interest, only to voice your boredom in the subject.
I am not saying you are a troll in this forum, you clearly are not, however, what was the motive for coming onto thread to say the subject bores you.

I find it odd that grown men seem to be celebrating the rape of a child in the teacher post. Or the clear double standard they have.

So the answer as to why are we irritated is that you specifically came on here to put down something we clearly have an interest in.
Exactly.

Cliffsnote: It's childish.

I agree that coaching licenses make a difference. But I do think US Soccer makes it way too difficult to get them. My understanding is that the cost/travel barriers are a great deal less in Germany, etc. than they are here. I would love to move up the ladder but it's hard to justify it when coaching is something I do as a volunteer, rather than as a profession.

The grassroot courses are cheap and can be done on-line, although US Soccer is dragging its feet about getting the 7v7 and 11v11 courses online in a timely fashion. The 4v4 one was $25. To get a D license you basically need two free weekends. It’s an inconvenience, but getting better at anything takes sacrifice. The courses are worth it. Even the grassroot ones. I have been coaching for 20+ years, but I always take at least something from every course or clinic I attend.

Failing that you can find a huge amount of information on the internet. Check out spielverlagerung.com for instance. Type in “professional training session” into an internet search engine. It’s not like the 80s where there is once channel with soccer on it. There are more than 70,000 soccer games shown on US television annually. If you need resources PM me. I have all kinds of stuff saved on Drop Box.

Finally, college soccer is a problem. They just play far too few games and kids don't get the chance to develop over those four years as much as they should.

It's only a problem if you feel that college soccer's primary goal is to be minor league soccer.

Good post. I wonder if he realizes that there is no girls football when he did his "research".

Results: In sum, 2651 concussions were observed in 10 926 892 athlete-exposures, with an incidence rate of 0.24 per 1000. Boys' sports accounted for 53% of athlete-exposures and 75% of all concussions. Football accounted for more than half of all concussions, and it had the highest incidence rate (0.60). Girls' soccer had the most concussions among the girls' sports and the second-highest incidence rate of all 12 sports (0.35). Concussion rate increased 4.2-fold (95% confidence interval, 3.4-5.2) over the 11 years (15.5% annual increase). In similar boys' and girls' sports (baseball/softball, basketball, and soccer), girls had roughly twice the concussion risk of boys. Concussion rate increased over time in all 12 sports.

Conclusion: Although the collision sports of football and boys' lacrosse had the highest number of concussions and football the highest concussion rate, concussion occurred in all other sports and was observed in girls' sports at rates similar to or higher than those of boys' sports. The increase over time in all sports may reflect actual increased occurrence or greater coding sensitivity with widely disseminated guidance on concussion detection and treatment. The high-participation collision sports of football and boys' lacrosse warrant continued vigilance, but the findings suggest that focus on concussion detection, treatment, and prevention should not be limited to those sports traditionally associated with concussion risk.

https://www.medstarsportsmedicine.org/research/which-youth-sports-cause-the-most-concussions/

The grassroot courses are cheap and can be done on-line, although US Soccer is dragging its feet about getting the 7v7 and 11v11 courses online in a timely fashion. The 4v4 one was $25. To get a D license you basically need two free weekends. It’s an inconvenience, but getting better at anything takes sacrifice. The courses are worth it. Even the grassroot ones. I have been coaching for 20+ years, but I always take at least something from every course or clinic I attend.

Failing that you can find a huge amount of information on the internet. Check out spielverlagerung.com for instance. Type in “professional training session” into an internet search engine. It’s not like the 80s where there is once channel with soccer on it. There are more than 70,000 soccer games shown on US television annually. If you need resources PM me. I have all kinds of stuff saved on Drop Box.
The ones I wish I could find are some of the Soccer Made in Germany shows of the late 1970s--specifically Gladbach Braunschweig from March 1978 (as I attended that match). I was an exchange student in Cologne through the PSU program, and got to attend a number of matches that year. The 5 min clip of Cologne-Stuttgart that Kenn Tomasch posted was also one I attended. The picture below is Paul Breitner from that Gladbach-Braunschweig match.
42076428694_bbeaa43176_z.jpg

There's a cute story about this stemming from the program and show. I was able to convince some of my classmates to attend the Cologne-Duisburg match not long after we arrived (there were 10 of us--not bad for a group of 30). Anyway, a few weeks after the match, one of the gals in my class got a letter from her parents which stated that they'd watched the match on TV and suggested she go see one. Her reply "Didn't you see me? I was there" (and we well could have been on TV as our places were at midfield, down low. It's one reason I'd like to see that Gladbach match again--I was sitting in row 2 behind the bench, just inches from Udo Lattek, the then coach.

For me, it was surreal that summer, being at home and watching the summer re-runs of games I'd attended.

The joint venture was prob just more appealing than having just one of those countries. Also, I don't believe either Canada or Mexico has ever hosted, whereas USA has. So, the appeal of new countries couldn't hurt the bid, either.

Mexico has hosted in 86. I was stationed in Scotland from 83-86 and Scotland sent a team. I remember watching player interviews and the Brits were amazed at being able to watch other sports on tv like baseball.

Reactions: Alphabets
Mexico has hosted in 86. I was stationed in Scotland from 83-86 and Scotland sent a team. I remember watching player interviews and the Brits were amazed at being able to watch other sports on tv like baseball.
And in 1970.

Regarding the World Cup, Penn State legend and 1950 World Cup hero Walt Bahr passed away yesterday--the last remaining member of the 1950 team.

ADVERTISEMENT