ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2026 World Cup Bid goes to.....

Fairgambit WorldCupWide Enterprises.
Now that is really, really good. I'm saving a ton in marketing costs with all these great ideas. :)

As for the Cup part, I will put together a line of poor quality, expensive bras for the matches. Something like the one on the right, below. (The one on the left is a competitor. You can immediately see that no one's quality is worse than ours.):)

bra-medieval-600x487.jpeg

Last edited:
Baseball is boring and I love soccer. I played baseball as a kid, it was fun, but watching it down is boring as hell. I played American Football at the college level and you are nuts if you think head injuries are more prevalent. At least in the kind of injury that causes permanent damage.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I never understood what drives someone to go on a thread about a subject they don't care about just to say it is stupid.
The stats have women’s soccer at higher levels than football, but they don’t gauge severity. Anyone who’s played both sports knows that using that argument is a smoke-screen to defend football. There’s no comparison in the degree of head trauma. The next soccer player to kill himself because of teeth grinding migraines and early-onset dementia will be the first.

The ironic things is that football fans use that argument at the same time they call soccer a wimpy sport. Which is it? Massive danger to the neurological health of our youth or a sport for wimps? (Disclaimer - I abhor the fakery and gamesmanship of soccer at the higher levels - doesn’t mean its a wimpy sport - just means FIFA needs to crack down on things)

Baseball is boring and I love soccer. I played baseball as a kid, it was fun, but watching it down is boring as hell. I played American Football at the college level and you are nuts if you think head injuries are more prevalent. At least in the kind of injury that causes permanent damage.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I never understood what drives someone to go on a thread about a subject they don't care about just to say it is stupid.
It's not my opinion, so get off your horse. It was based on a research study, which I've posted here in the past. I'll take that over your anecdotal experience playing American Football. More concussions in soccer. As for soccer, it's boring as sh*t.

The stats have women’s soccer at higher levels than football, but they don’t gauge severity. Anyone who’s played both sports knows that using that argument is a smoke-screen to defend football. There’s no comparison in the degree of head trauma. The next soccer player to kill himself because of teeth grinding migraines and early-onset dementia will be the first.

The ironic things is that football fans use that argument at the same time they call soccer a wimpy sport. Which is it? Massive danger to the neurological health of our youth or a sport for wimps? (Disclaimer - I abhor the fakery and gamesmanship of soccer at the higher levels - doesn’t mean its a wimpy sport - just means FIFA needs to crack down on things)
So what are you implying? More concussions in soccer than football is A-okay? Don't think so boss.

Fun160 was the king of it. Before his passing, we had a long, head-shaking thread about how little energy top flight soccer players expend during games. What’s the big deal Fun said, 6-9 miles in 90 minutes is no big thing. Ay Caramba! I could just see him 10 minutes into a game, hands on hips, as an overlapping defender like Marcelo makes another run past him. I don’t know if he was being obtuse or trolling.
he was absolutely being obtuse. I met him and tailgated with him, his schtick was not an act

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
So what are you implying? More concussions in soccer than football is A-okay? Don't think so boss.

Not sure how you made that leap of logic, el Jefe.

I’m implying that I’d much rather get a minor than major concussion.

Besides, the rates for men’s soccer are less than football - at least the studies I’ve seen. Seems like the ladies need to learn better technique or the ball they use needs to be softer

Last edited:
The joint venture was prob just more appealing than having just one of those countries. Also, I don't believe either Canada or Mexico has ever hosted, whereas USA has. So, the appeal of new countries couldn't hurt the bid, either.
Mexico has hosted in 1970 and 86. I think 86 because the original host country had to drop

More info - from Wiki

The 1986 FIFA World Cup, the 13th FIFA World Cup, was held in Mexico from 31 May to 29 June 1986. The tournament was the second to feature a 24-team format. With European nations not allowed to host after the previous World Cup in Spain, Colombia had been originally chosen to host the competition by FIFA but, largely due to economic reasons, was not able to do so and officially resigned in 1982. Mexico was selected as the new host in May 1983. This was the third FIFA World Cup tournament in succession that was hosted by a Spanish-speaking country, after Spain in 1982, and Argentina in 1978.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alphabets
To be frank, I couldn't care less. Soccer is not our sport. Anyone who tells me that baseball is boring better not turn around and tell me they love soccer. Puhleeeezzz. BTW, head injuries are more prevalent in soccer than American football. Just sayin'.
Head injuries are not more prevalent than American Football, soccer has been played for hundreds of years, and you don't see any generation of players getting together to complain about CTE.

As an American dad who has been coaching for seven years now, I take offense!

Seriously, though, even in those seven years and even within the context of our little travel club, I have seen the quality of coaching take off exponentially. We're getting more and more guys who played at the college level or are professional trainers, and the results can be seen on the field. You don't need to be English to be a good coach. You need to know the game -- and we've got more of those people, on both the boys and girls teams, than we ever had before.

That being said, I do agree that we need a culture change. Our youth system is essentially pay-for-play and as a result so many kids from less advantaged backgrounds are locked out of the system. There is a massive pool of talent out there that we aren't reaching. But instead of things progressing in a way that can get those kids involved, what I'm seeing is the creation of more and more "mega clubs" that come in and sell parents on an "elite" experience; they draw kids away from their clubs, teams fall apart, and in the end, all the parents get is a bigger bill for essentially the same experience. Just recently I've heard about one of the most established and historic clubs in the Philly area here losing teams/kids to a new mega-club -- I just don't know what some parents think they are chasing.

Also, I know it's almost impossible to do, but the MLS needs to change its structure, get on the global calendar, free up the clubs to buy and sell players like the rest of the world does, and yes, eventual adopt a promotion and relegation system. Until we get there the league, as fun as it is and as strong as it's become, will never take the next step.

Finally, college soccer is a problem. They just play far too few games and kids don't get the chance to develop over those four years as much as they should.
Pretty correct but pay-to-play ain't going anywhere. US Soccer is also upping the pressure on getting a coaching license, the sooner idiot parents learn how to teach, the better youth soccer will become. I train two teams, and still continue my education, even get to shadow NCAA D1 coaches to learn even more.

If they don’t pick Philadelphia as one of the 10 US cities, that would be ridiculous. In fact, a quarterfinal on July 4 in our nation’s birthplace would be perfect

I don’t know. They rank Philly as the worst city for hotels 2.4/5, (lower than Edmonton 2.5/5, as well as well below Monterrey and Guadalajara in Mexico).

They complained about the lack of options for ‘high end’ hotels in the city for the FIFA types. They also list Philly as 1 of the cities with so/so transport from Centre City to the stadium.

Like the international Olympic committee, the FIFA folks are very concerned with being able to live like kings for the duration of the tournament (which also appears to be close to tax free for FIFA with regard to marketing, media, and ticket revenues) . :rolleyes:

Do some research.
I coach at a very high level and have been doing so for the last 12 years, I've done the research and my comment is absolutely correct. In addition, the way to reduce the probability of concussion in soccer is actually to be more aggressive. Concussions happen when players get rolled and slam their head down on the turf.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
It's not my opinion, so get off your horse. It was based on a research study, which I've posted here in the past. I'll take that over your anecdotal experience playing American Football. More concussions in soccer. As for soccer, it's boring as sh*t.

You seem to be a truly miserable individual.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I don’t know. They rank Philly as the worst city for hotels 2.4/5, (lower than Edmonton 2.5/5, as well as well below Monterrey and Guadalajara in Mexico).

They complained about the lack of options for ‘high end’ hotels in the city for the FIFA types. They also list Philly as 1 of the cities with so/so transport from Centre City to the stadium.

Like the international Olympic committee, the FIFA folks are very concerned with being able to live like kings for the duration of the tournament (which also appears to be close to tax free for FIFA with regard to marketing, media, and ticket revenues) . :rolleyes:

I'm shocked Chicago isnt' even listed on the US cities being considered.

Reactions: psu00
Pretty correct but pay-to-play ain't going anywhere. US Soccer is also upping the pressure on getting a coaching license, the sooner idiot parents learn how to teach, the better youth soccer will become. I train two teams, and still continue my education, even get to shadow NCAA D1 coaches to learn even more.

I agree that coaching licenses make a difference. But I do think US Soccer makes it way too difficult to get them. My understanding is that the cost/travel barriers are a great deal less in Germany, etc. than they are here. I would love to move up the ladder but it's hard to justify it when coaching is something I do as a volunteer, rather than as a profession.

I coach at a very high level and have been doing so for the last 12 years, I've done the research and my comment is absolutely correct. In addition, the way to reduce the probability of concussion in soccer is actually to be more aggressive. Concussions happen when players get rolled and slam their head down on the turf.
Okay, soccers great and perfectly healthy. Carry on.

I agree that coaching licenses make a difference. But I do think US Soccer makes it way too difficult to get them. My understanding is that the cost/travel barriers are a great deal less in Germany, etc. than they are here. I would love to move up the ladder but it's hard to justify it when coaching is something I do as a volunteer, rather than as a profession.
It is very difficult and brutal to get the license, which is a testament to the complexity of soccer and also why people don't understand the sport. It's the only sport in the United States that REQUIRES licenses to coach travel soccer teams.

If your team is good, and you plan on coaching for a while, get the license for your players, it's a sacrifice of time and some money, but consider it giving back to the team to serve them better. That's what good coaches do :O)) Serve and Teach.

I'm shocked Chicago isnt' even listed on the US cities being considered.

You’re right- I didn’t really notice until you pointed it out. They are considering Baltimore (seriously?), Cincinnati and Nashville but not Chicago?

I’m also surprised Canada picked Edmonton over Vancouver, Calgary, or Ottawa.

Last edited:
It is very difficult and brutal to get the license, which is a testament to the complexity of soccer and also why people don't understand the sport. It's the only sport in the United States that REQUIRES licenses to coach travel soccer teams.

If your team is good, and you plan on coaching for a while, get the license for your players, it's a sacrifice of time and some money, but consider it giving back to the team to serve them better. That's what good coaches do :O)) Serve and Teach.
And your club should reimburse you for the expense, if not, switch clubs :eek:)

I am hoping to do the D license later this summer. I just can't see going further than that.

How far are you along?
I have a D, but also tested in Maryland, very difficult, but also been mentored for 4 years by someone that has a C and 30 years of coaching experience. That's where you learn the most. Good luck too.

Do some research.

Are you really really trying to make the case that soccer is more dangerous to the head than American football? I mean really. This is a real, true serious argument you are trying to make?

Are you really really trying to make the case that soccer is more dangerous to the head than American football? I mean really. This is a real, true serious argument you are trying to make?
He must have sustained too many concussions playing football - like the board equivalent of Tony Dorsett

And you seem to be a poor interpreter of who's miserable. I'm quite content actually. Miserable people are those who can't stand an opposing view no matter what.
Why do you feel the need to enter into a thread to tell people how much you dislike the topic? Nobody wants to hear it
Why not just move on to the next thread? It's not that hard.

You haven’t been paying attention then. On of the top young players in the world is American. We have a thriving league.

We have under 20 players in every major European league including Manchester United, PSG, Dortmund, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc. Never in our history have we had that.

To get to be a top 10 team though, we need a culture change, from the ground up. When an English parent coaches a youth squad, he knows tactics, formations, training drills. An American dad knows good job, score a goal.

That is what has to change and has been changing.

If you don’t see the progress your head is buried in the sand.

Also, I played college football and would never allow my son to play.
You’re correct, I haven’t paid very close attention. Apologies for my ignorance. I played the sport for close to 15 years at various levels, and I had coaches range from my dad to that English tactical version you mentioned. Hell, even coached my own son for a season or two. It’s a fun sport to play, but personally, I’m not very entertained from watching it on TV (same can be said for basketball - again, IMO). I do enjoy watching in person, but I’m not one to buy season tickets for any sport.

I hope you’re right that we’re creeping up on the rest of the world. I was just making the point that I’ve heard how much better we’re getting for my entire life, and it just seems to be a Sisyphus-type tale. No offense intended.

Last edited:

My guesses on the 10 US cities:

San Fran in, Los Angeles out (LA is getting the olympics 2 years later, so give this to SF)
Seattle (big soccer culture, also convenient for Vancouver)
Miami in, Orlando out (dont see Florida getting two, Miami has larger stadium, closer to the island counties)
Dallas over Houston (AT&T is obligated to host everything, dont think TX gets two)
Denver (bridge city to other locations)
Atlanta (Mercedes stadium, airport hub)
New York (given, hosting final)
Washington, DC (huge stadium, distance between other locations)
Kansas City (like Denver, trying to have games within reasonable distances to more of the population)
Cincinnati (need a Midwest/Mid-atlantic location with Chicago apparently having withdrawn its bid...and for selfish reasons)

ADVERTISEMENT