ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2026 World Cup Bid goes to.....

1. I am excited

2. I am still seething we lost to Qatar and still want to see fifa destroyed.

3. It is completely stupid we have to have this with Mexico and Canada

4. Despite that it was still close with Morocco? Wtf were those ****s in Switzerland thinking

5. Again, Qatar. A city with a population 8 million less than New York City gets to have its own World Cup and 3 countries, actual real countries that don’t use slave labor and are note a mono economy have to split it

6. Infantino should hang next to sepp.

7. Interested to see if they expland the World Cup to more teams as been talked about.

8. The Swiss are corrupt to the core

I get it, but the reality is 60 of the matches will be played in the US. Only 10 in Canada and Mexico.

1. I am excited

4. Despite that it was still close with Morocco? Wtf were those ****s in Switzerland thinking

5. Again, Qatar. A city with a population 8 million less than New York City gets to have its own World Cup and 3 countries, actual real countries that don’t use slave labor and are note a mono economy have to split it

7. Interested to see if they expland the World Cup to more teams as been talked about.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Looks like only the Western Countries vs. Morocco for the decision on where to hold. I find it hard to believe that anyone thought Morocco, with it's small land size, and lack of available venues, would out pace the Western Countries and all of their venues and infrastructure. That said, they did received 65 votes.

Looks like there will be expansion - 48 teams?

I think the old rule was that the host country automatically was included in the field - will this mean all three countries get in?

I think a game should be played at the Beav, with the US team. The US team should wear blue shirts and white shorts - and black cleats if course.

What time do the lots open?

Reactions: MaconNitt
Looks like only the Western Countries vs. Morocco for the decision on where to hold. I find it hard to believe that anyone thought Morocco, with it's small land size, and lack of available venues, would out pace the Western Countries and all of their venues and infrastructure. That said, they did received 65 votes.

Qatar, a city state whose World Cup was built upon the back of slave labor gets it in 2022. Morocco would be a huge step up.

The stadiums is where you have it wrong. Lack of stadiums isn’t a detractor, it is a plus. FIFA wants to suck as much money out of these countries as humanly possible. They want to know they are ready to spend billions. That’s why the las two world cups went to dictators. It would go to North Korea next except they don’t have the money.

FIFA has no soul or ethics. That’s why Russia and Qatar got it.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Qatar, a city state whose World Cup was built upon the back of slave labor gets it in 2022. Morocco would be a huge step up.

The stadiums is where you have it wrong. Lack of stadiums isn’t a detractor, it is a plus. FIFA wants to suck as much money out of these countries as humanly possible. They want to know they are ready to spend billions. That’s why the las two world cups went to dictators. It would go to North Korea next except they don’t have the money.

FIFA has no soul or ethics. That’s why Russia and Qatar got it.

Yeah, OK - you know all.

Good deal. Tons of youth developing right now that should be in their prime around then.
Not that I disagree with you on this...hell, I haven’t a clue what youth phenoms we have in the pipeline. I did laugh a bit considering I’ve been hearing how the US is going to compete on the word stage for over 4 decades due to the talent pool from our ever expanding youth programs over that span. Perhaps one day that will happen, and I hope I’m wrong, but I guess I’m a little bit jaded at the thought of us ever being a legitimate WC contender.

Reactions: Ski
1. I am excited

1. Me too

2. Me too

3. I agree, but we get 60 games compared with 10 each for Mexico and Canada, and we host every game from quarters through final.

4. It wasn't really close. Of course Morocco was going to get the votes of Africa's federations, but the United bid otherwise won handily.

5. I read that 1200 have died so far building Qatars stadiums. That's disgusting, yet nothing is done about it.

6. Yep

7. Yes, it will be 48 teams

8. Corrupt, but neutral!

Just saw 10 of 16 host cities are in the USA.

The final will be in NYC

Not that I disagree with you on this...hell, I haven’t a clue what youth phenoms we have in the pipeline. I did laugh a bit considering I’ve been hearing how the US is going to compete on the word stage for over 4 decades due to the talent pool from our ever expanding youth programs over that span. Perhaps one day that will happen, and I hope I’m wrong, but I guess I’m a little bit jaded at the thought of us ever being a legitimate WC contender.

Well, it's impossible that the leap would ever be from joke to title contender in one generation. Consider how far US soccer has come though (until the current disaster, which I still think will only be a blip on the long term radar):

1954 and 1986, the US failed to qualify for the World Cup all 9 times. From 1990 to 2014, we then made the Cup 7 times in a row, including advancing out of the group stage 3 of the last 4 Cups and finishing in the top 16 each of those three times, with one quarter finals appearance.

So yes, we aren't a contender to win the title and are probably another generation still from that being a possibility, but the progress of the last 30 years versus the previous 40 is undeniable.

Reactions: psu7113 and panaleo

You haven’t been paying attention then. On of the top young players in the world is American. We have a thriving league.

We have under 20 players in every major European league including Manchester United, PSG, Dortmund, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc. Never in our history have we had that.

To get to be a top 10 team though, we need a culture change, from the ground up. When an English parent coaches a youth squad, he knows tactics, formations, training drills. An American dad knows good job, score a goal.

That is what has to change and has been changing.

If you don’t see the progress your head is buried in the sand.

Also, I played college football and would never allow my son to play.

Well, it's impossible that the leap would ever be from joke to title contender in one generation. Consider how far US soccer has come though (until the current disaster, which I still think will only be a blip on the long term radar):

1954 and 1986, the US failed to qualify for the World Cup all 9 times. From 1990 to 2014, we then made the Cup 7 times in a row, including advancing out of the group stage 3 of the last 4 Cups and finishing in the top 16 each of those three times, with one quarter finals appearance.

So yes, we aren't a contender to win the title and are probably another generation still from that being a possibility, but the progress of the last 30 years versus the previous 40 is undeniable.

Not to mention, powerhouses don’t qualify every year. Italy didn’t qualify this year for instance.

I didn't say they would win, far from it. They do have a bunch of young kids that are playing in a ton of Euro leagues. I mean don't get me wrong idiots who don't follow the sport hear about the US winning the WC all the time apparently, but the people that actually follow the sport never ever say it.

In fact, you can google it and try and find any US analyst making that call....it doesn't exist. They are getting better and are sending kids over to the better Euro leagues at a much higher rate. That in time will pay off as those leagues play at a higher level. Some are even getting selected at some of the elite clubs. We aren't a legit contender now and won't be in 2026 to win the cup, but the US has gotten out of the first round a few times now and is no longer a doormat. The are a middle of the pack team who fell apart this last qualifying round.

Looks like there will be expansion - 48 teams?

I think the old rule was that the host country automatically was included in the field - will this mean all three countries get in?

I think a game should be played at the Beav, with the US team. The US team should wear blue shirts and white shorts - and black cleats if course.

They just said on Sirius XM that all three host countries will get in, along with three more from CONCACAF.

Reactions: Alphabets
1. I am excited

1. I am largely indifferent for something 8 years away.
2. Qatar is an interesting place. This is not an ego thing for them, it’s about convincing their people it’s ok to move around so they don’t all die of diabetes. That said, the view of international sports federations that they can spawn social change through events like this is ludicrous window dressing for their corruption.
3. Be thankful for what you have. Not only because you don’t have to subsidize these potentates but because we don’t get it without them. And that would have been the death knell for us soccer taking this year into account.
4. The Swiss are not the problem. It’s all the other non transparent euros and tinpot regimes in the third world.
5. See above though you are right about labor practices (though I would not go so far to call it slavery).
6. Yes
7. Meh.
8. See above. Switzerland does not own fifa, it just happens to reside there

Last edited:

And grey facemasks!

To get to be a top 10 team though, we need a culture change, from the ground up. When an English parent coaches a youth squad, he knows tactics, formations, training drills. An American dad knows good job, score a goal.

As an American dad who has been coaching for seven years now, I take offense!

Seriously, though, even in those seven years and even within the context of our little travel club, I have seen the quality of coaching take off exponentially. We're getting more and more guys who played at the college level or are professional trainers, and the results can be seen on the field. You don't need to be English to be a good coach. You need to know the game -- and we've got more of those people, on both the boys and girls teams, than we ever had before.

That being said, I do agree that we need a culture change. Our youth system is essentially pay-for-play and as a result so many kids from less advantaged backgrounds are locked out of the system. There is a massive pool of talent out there that we aren't reaching. But instead of things progressing in a way that can get those kids involved, what I'm seeing is the creation of more and more "mega clubs" that come in and sell parents on an "elite" experience; they draw kids away from their clubs, teams fall apart, and in the end, all the parents get is a bigger bill for essentially the same experience. Just recently I've heard about one of the most established and historic clubs in the Philly area here losing teams/kids to a new mega-club -- I just don't know what some parents think they are chasing.

Also, I know it's almost impossible to do, but the MLS needs to change its structure, get on the global calendar, free up the clubs to buy and sell players like the rest of the world does, and yes, eventual adopt a promotion and relegation system. Until we get there the league, as fun as it is and as strong as it's become, will never take the next step.

Finally, college soccer is a problem. They just play far too few games and kids don't get the chance to develop over those four years as much as they should.

I didn't say they would win, far from it. They do have a bunch of young kids that are playing in a ton of Euro leagues. I mean don't get me wrong idiots who don't follow the sport hear about the US winning the WC all the time apparently, but the people that actually follow the sport never ever say it.

In fact, you can google it and try and find any US analyst making that call....it doesn't exist. They are getting better and are sending kids over to the better Euro leagues at a much higher rate. That in time will pay off as those leagues play at a higher level. Some are even getting selected at some of the elite clubs. We aren't a legit contender now and won't be in 2026 to win the cup, but the US has gotten out of the first round a few times now and is no longer a doormat. The are a middle of the pack team who fell apart this last qualifying round.
The biggest difference is we aren't hanging on one phenom teenager for the prospect of being a contender. None of whom ever panned out. Now there are a bunch of really good prospects going all over the world joining elite teams youth programs and some are starting to make it out.

If they get a good coach the talent is there to be a final 8 team in 2022/2026. From there it's a punchers chance.

Frankly I want to see a 3-4-3
Carter-Vickers - Brooks - Miazga
Yedlin - Mckennie - Adams - Robinson
Weah - Sergeant - Pulisic

Read a long article on fifa on ESPN.com and it seems nothing has changed with them, corrupt to the core and competing with the IOC for most corrupt organization on the planet outside of Chicago, Philly and our BOT.

The United Nations of the United States, Canada and Mexico!! Woohoo!!!

Big win for soccer in America.
To be frank, I couldn't care less. Soccer is not our sport. Anyone who tells me that baseball is boring better not turn around and tell me they love soccer. Puhleeeezzz. BTW, head injuries are more prevalent in soccer than American football. Just sayin'.

My joy knows no bounds. That may be the same year the Pirates next finish above .500.

Yup, so very silly, and in every single soccer thread, there is at least one.
Fun160 was the king of it. Before his passing, we had a long, head-shaking thread about how little energy top flight soccer players expend during games. What’s the big deal Fun said, 6-9 miles in 90 minutes is no big thing. Ay Caramba! I could just see him 10 minutes into a game, hands on hips, as an overlapping defender like Marcelo makes another run past him. I don’t know if he was being obtuse or trolling.

To be frank, I couldn't care less. Soccer is not our sport. Anyone who tells me that baseball is boring better not turn around and tell me they love soccer. Puhleeeezzz. BTW, head injuries are more prevalent in soccer than American football. Just sayin'.
K, thx for taking the time to participate in my soccer thread to tell me you don't like soccer!!! However, you were already beaten to the punch by another token " i don't like soccer" guy. Maybe next time!!

Baseball is boring and I love soccer. I played baseball as a kid, it was fun, but watching it down is boring as hell. I played American Football at the college level and you are nuts if you think head injuries are more prevalent. At least in the kind of injury that causes permanent damage.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I never understood what drives someone to go on a thread about a subject they don't care about just to say it is stupid.

As it should. Consider the marketing opportunities for Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises.
Art, I have to give you credit. I never thought of that, and I should have. Hell, those soccer nuts have money coming out the wazoo. I'll make a fortune! As a small token of my appreciation I will add 10% to any jersey you order so that no one....and I mean no one, will have paid more for less than you. Your bragging rights are assured!:)

By the way Art, thank you for getting the name right. Most people leave out the "Worldwide" part. I am going to add yet another 10% to your tab just to show my gratitude.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: WDLion
Baseball is boring and I love soccer. I played baseball as a kid, it was fun, but watching it down is boring as hell. I played American Football at the college level and you are nuts if you think head injuries are more prevalent. At least in the kind of injury that causes permanent damage.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I never understood what drives someone to go on a thread about a subject they don't care about just to say it is stupid.
Exactly. Can't stand baseball. Yet, not once have I ever opened up, let alone commented on one the many baseball threads in this forum. Something about soccer just brings out peoples insecurities for some reason.

Reactions: Kmase21
Art, I have to give you credit. I never thought of that, and I should have. Hell, those soccer nuts have money coming out the wazoo. I'll make a fortune! As a small token of my appreciation I will add 10% to any jersey you order so that no one....and I mean no one, will have paid more for less than you. Your bragging rights are assured!:)

By the way Art, thank you for getting the name right. Most people leave out the "Worldwide" part. I am going to add yet another 10% to your tab just to show my gratitude.:)

Fairgambit WorldCupWide Enterprises.

Reactions: fairgambit
What was the point of three countries hosting?
The joint venture was prob just more appealing than having just one of those countries. Also, I don't believe either Canada or Mexico has ever hosted, whereas USA has. So, the appeal of new countries couldn't hurt the bid, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT