ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

RIght and since all the guys now are swinging from their ass trying to yard everything, one can see that strikeouts are up, HRs are up, BA and OPS are down. For a team that can't hold leads, giant solo bombs aren't helping. I watched the game tonight when it was 8-1 thinking we need another TD.

Can this guy pitch? Can that guy pitch? Are we over his throws from yesterday and he's on the shelf? Who can we put in? Certain guys can only throw one pitch to a lefty if there are two on and one out after the 6th. Other guys can only throw curveballs if it's a right handed hitter on grass.

Look at the standings and cut the shiz.
Yep.....at some point baseball players need to play baseball and stop with all the analytics. I mean they should be a guide. but when you keep changing things you end up with a bunch of confused players.

Reactions: psrurock
Tom McCarthy with the line of the night, "an earlier start tomorrow, 6:05, tickets are still available". I had to rewind that to make sure I wasn't hearing things.

Nola with yet another tough luck no decision. He should have won 20 this season.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Nola with yet another tough luck no decision. He should have won 20 this season.

I'd blame the Phil's O more than Nola. They had the bases loaded in the 1st inning, and scored no runs. They had 2 on in the 2nd, and scored no runs. 5 guys LOB in 2 innings.

Nola giving up a HR to the Met's pitcher in the top of the 3rd didn't help his cause.

Reactions: royboy
I'd blame the Phil's O more than Nola. They had the bases loaded in the 1st inning, and scored no runs. They had 2 on in the 2nd, and scored no runs. 5 guys LOB in 2 innings.

Nola giving up a HR to the Met's pitcher in the top of the 3rd didn't help his cause.
So many missed scoring opportunities during this August/September swoon. Just a few times where they could have pushed a run or two across would have made a big difference. Advancing runners, hitting sacrifice flies, making contact with men on base instead of striking out -- just hasn't happened enough.

So many missed scoring opportunities during this August/September swoon. Just a few times where they could have pushed a run or two across would have made a big difference. Advancing runners, hitting sacrifice flies, making contact with men on base instead of striking out -- just hasn't happened enough.

The name of the game is now to hit bombs. Analytics.

Throwing to the wrong base or throwing behind runners down the RF line are just the cost of doing business. Defense is not putting people in the stands. Chicks dig the long ball. Pitchers going 3-1, 2-0, 2,-1 on every hitter--nobody cares. It must be wearing hitters out watching all those pitches, especially when we're into the bullpen with guys who can only go every three days. We're flush with pitchers. If all else fails send in Florimon. Get off my lawn.

Getting picked off, doubled-off, forgetting how many outs there are? No problem. Not recognizing when there's a force play in front of you? Who cares? We are loaded up and down the lineup with guys who can jack bombs, and that's why we're here. Stealing, bunting, moving guys over, that's the other guy's problem. We're here to mash. :eek:

Phils won 4-0 over the Mets tonight. 3 of the 4 runs from HRs off the Mets' Syndergaard.

Big series with the Braves. Phils are 5.5 games behind the Braves in the standings, and 5 games behind them in the loss column.

Have to win 3 of 4 minimum this weekend to make the final week interesting....then will also have to take 3 of 4 from Colorado. Both very tough asks, but if they can pull it off the final 3 in Philly will have some meaning.

5.5 back now
win 3 of 4 from the Braves
3.5 back
Win 3 of 4 from Colorado
most likely 2 to 3 back

3 at home vs Braves....need the sweep.

Braves have been struggling a bit lately to make it interesting, t just sucks that the Phils couldn't pull off another win or 2 vs the Marlins/Mets/Nats or this could be really close right now.

Have to win 3 of 4 minimum this weekend to make the final week interesting....then will also have to take 3 of 4 from Colorado. Both very tough asks, but if they can pull it off the final 3 in Philly will have some meaning.

5.5 back now
win 3 of 4 from the Braves
3.5 back
Win 3 of 4 from Colorado
most likely 2 to 3 back

3 at home vs Braves....need the sweep.

Braves have been struggling a bit lately to make it interesting, t just sucks that the Phils couldn't pull off another win or 2 vs the Marlins/Mets/Nats or this could be really close right now.
As of 9/20/18, the Pirates have one less win than the Phillies while playing in a division that may have three teams that make the playoffs.

As of 9/20/18, the Pirates have one less win than the Phillies while playing in a division that may have three teams that make the playoffs.

And how many of those teams have feasted on the AL Central Have-Nots this season. I know the Pirates have.

Have to win 3 of 4 minimum this weekend to make the final week interesting.

That's what I was thinking too but the more I think about it the more I feel anything less than a four game sweep will be the end of the season. Three out of four would be nice but 3.5 games behind is tough considering the Phils will travel to play four against currently 82-70 Colorado while the Braves will have a day off before traveling to play the currently 70-82 Mets. The Phils had an great opportunity but squandered it by not winning a series between August 6th and September 12th.

Reactions: harjeff
Game 1 of the Braves series was another pull-your-hair-out experience.
Teams were tied 3-3 in the 7th. In the bottom of the 7th, the Braves scored 1 run (guy hit it to left field, and just kept running, while Altherr was caught by surprise and his throw was late. then a hitter (think it was a pinch hitter) hit a ball to right field, and that was a run. Then in the bottom of the 8th, the Braves scored 4 runs, with most of the damage being done by the bottom of their lineup.

For the Phils, Velasquez lasted 3 innings -- he hasn't gone 6 since early August.

Game 1 of the Braves series was another pull-your-hair-out experience.
Teams were tied 3-3 in the 7th. In the bottom of the 7th, the Braves scored 1 run (guy hit it to left field, and just kept running, while Altherr was caught by surprise and his throw was late. then a hitter (think it was a pinch hitter) hit a ball to right field, and that was a run. Then in the bottom of the 8th, the Braves scored 4 runs, with most of the damage being done by the bottom of their lineup.

For the Phils, Velasquez lasted 3 innings -- he hasn't gone 6 since early August.

Ricky Bo was on a roll tonight. How can Kapler leave Garcia in the 8th inning? They are trailing by one and can not give up anymore. Base hit, base hit, walk, walk. Then he finally takes Garcia out. Saving Dominguez and Neris for later innings was a waste.

Ricky Bo was on a roll tonight. How can Kapler leave Garcia in the 8th inning? They are trailing by one and can not give up anymore. Base hit, base hit, walk, walk. Then he finally takes Garcia out. Saving Dominguez and Neris for later innings was a waste.

yeah, I heard part of that. Kepler has driven folks crazy this year with his hyper managing. He currently has expanded rosters (i.e., no shortage of relief pitchers), and was in a game that he couldn't really lose, and he became a passive manager in the 8th inning.

hindsight is always 20-20, but still, I was smh in the 8th inning

Understand the criticism, but bottom line is they are not good enough. Outside of Nola, the pitching has been bad and fielding is below average. Showed again last night.

Kapler overmanages. Tough to be a player for a coach that is constantly moving guys around and making switches. Charlie Manuel was probably the opposite of that many times I thought not making changes soon enough, but it seemed to work for him. But Kapler is just too much, he manages like you would manage in a video game or the old baseball strategy type card games.

and fielding is below average

If I recall correctly from a stat I saw a few days ago, the Phils and the Cardinals are in a race for the bottom, in terms of most errors this season in the NL (or was it in the MLB; can't remember). That's a lot of extra pitches for your starters/relief pitchers.

If I recall correctly from a stat I saw a few days ago, the Phils and the Cardinals are in a race for the bottom, in terms of most errors this season in the NL (or was it in the MLB; can't remember). That's a lot of extra pitches for your starters/relief pitchers.
That is very unlike the Cardinals as they focus on fundamentals in their farm system.

But it isn't even the official errors. Look at the plays by Santana and Hoskins last night. Cost them 2 runs in the 1st. Focus also on Hernandez play last night up the middle. He dived, so looked like a tough play. Not sure if he got a late jump on it or not.

Reactions: delcoLion
That was an all-time great rant by Ricky Bo, who was aided by John Kruk in describing that debacle of a baseball game.

OK, they don't have the players this year. However, they were out-hustled yesterday. Bad defense, atrocious catching, and mediocre (trying to be kind) relief pitching cost them the division. That's a lot of holes to fill.

That is very unlike the Cardinals as they focus on fundamentals in their farm system.

which is why it caught my attention. I don't need the stat to know that the Phil's defense is terrible. As @LundyPSU noted, even in plays where there isn't an official error, they frequently do things that make me smh. However, as you noted, the Cards are considered one of the top programs, year in, in terms of fundamentals throughout their system.

This inning is a microcosm of Kapler over managing. After scoring 3 in the top of the 7th, the Braves send 10 batters to the plate in the bottom of the inning and score 5.

Reactions: LundyPSU
which is why it caught my attention. I don't need the stat to know that the Phil's defense is terrible. As @LundyPSU noted, even in plays where there isn't an official error, they frequently do things that make me smh. However, as you noted, the Cards are considered one of the top programs, year in, in terms of fundamentals throughout their system.
Why Memphis was (again) in the AAA championship game (which was a nice night for baseball, I might add).

Phils entered the top of the 9th trailing 6-4. They plated 1 run, had a man on 1st with 1 out. Then Joey Bats flied out for the 2nd out. Then Roman Quinn took a called 3rd strike for the 3rd and final out. Phil's lose 6-5.

que Dandy Don to sing his song

Reactions: Relayer
Braves about to render the three game series to end the year in Philadelphia meaningless--something nobody thought possible for over five months of the season.

This inning is a microcosm of Kapler over managing. After scoring 3 in the top of the 7th, the Braves send 10 batters to the plate in the bottom of the inning and score 5.
I didn't see the game. What did Kapler do (or not do) that led to the 5 Braves runs?

Get rid of:

Obdubel, Asdrubel, Jose B, Carlos S., Caesar

Pick up an outfielder and some pitching.

1B--Hoskins
2B--Kingery
3B--Franco
SS--Crawford
C--Alfaro/Ramos
CF--Quinn
LF--Williams
RF--???

Bench--Altherr, Bour, new guys....

Put some guys around this core and they'll be OK.

Get rid of:

1B--Hoskins
2B--Kingery
3B--Franco
SS--Crawford
C--Alfaro/Ramos
CF--Quinn
LF--Williams
RF--???

Better be Harper then. No much offense in that lineup. Ramos is probably their best hitter. Love Rhys, but have to say I am disappointed with him down the stretch. Moments for him to help carry this team down the stretch.

Get rid of:

1B--Hoskins
2B--Kingery
3B--Franco
SS--Crawford
C--Alfaro/Ramos
CF--Quinn
LF--Williams
RF--???

For as good as Odubel can be at times, he's not worth the hassle. His lackadaisical play needs to be dealt with or else others players get the vibe they can take plays/pitches off too. Kapler's kumbaya style is useless with a player like that.

From today's Philadelphia Inquirer:

On Aug. 5th, the Phils were 15 games over .500, and 1 1/2 games in front of the Braves. Since then, they have lost 27 of 45, including 13 of 19 in September. smh

Also, reliever Pat Neshak allowed more runs in the 7th last nite (4) than he's allowed all season (3).

Just asking, if you were Harper, Machado, Trout, would you play for this guy. Or do you dictate playing time and batting order in contract?

ADVERTISEMENT