ADVERTISEMENT

OT 15-yr old Daughter's Facebook account closed -- Why

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
I am buying a used car for my soon to be 16-year-old daughter. Will pay up to $7,500. I don't like anything about Facebook and don't have an account although it is sometimes useful to buy and sell things. (My daughter really doesn't care about Facebook either -- to her it is passe and old fashioned) For privacy and other reasons, I really don't want to set up a Facebook account.

In any event within 5 or 10 minutes after two communications to sellers -- 1.my daughter gave my phone no. to a seller saying that her dad was buying the car and the best way to contact him was by his phone no. 2. Another seller was selling a car with a rebuilt title. Daughter said dad was a lawyer and could look at title and maybe deal with it and then buy car. Account then shut down in about 5 minutes.

Don't know if we can reopen account. However, 20 yr-old brother also has an account we can use. (Like his sister he has no use for Facebook). Want to make sure that I don't mess up his account and we can try to buy used car through Facebook as well as Craigslist.

I am buying a used car for my soon to be 16-year-old daughter. Will pay up to $7,500. I don't like anything about Facebook and don't have an account although it is sometimes useful to buy and sell things. (My daughter really doesn't care about Facebook either -- to her it is passe and old fashioned) For privacy and other reasons, I really don't want to set up a Facebook account.

In any event within 5 or 10 minutes after two communications to sellers -- 1.my daughter gave my phone no. to a seller saying that her dad was buying the car and the best way to contact him was by his phone no. 2. Another seller was selling a car with a rebuilt title. Daughter said dad was a lawyer and could look at title and maybe deal with it and then buy car. Account then shut down in about 5 minutes.

Don't know if we can reopen account. However, 20 yr-old brother also has an account we can use. (Like his sister he has no use for Facebook). Want to make sure that I don't mess up his account and we can try to buy used car through Facebook as well as Craigslist.
It's lkely because she is a minor messaging adults about monetary transactions.

It's lkely because she is a minor messaging adults about monetary transactions.
Do you have any citation to a particular rule? Would like to look at it to avoid problems. Presumably my son is 20 and past the age of majority in Ohio (18) and we can message about purchases on his account.

You can just contact Facebook's help. They can reopen the account and get things straightened out.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Or it got flagged as a scam profile. I’m active in a few communities on Facebook that have a lot of buying and selling going on and people get scammed quite a bit. One red flag is someone reaching out saying they’re using someone else’s account.

Reactions: stf110
Since you seem to be fairly knowledgeable. --Does Facebook have some sort of policy against giving out your phone number. I would suppose that they want everything to go through Facebook to up their advertising dollars. When I sell through my son's account, I only have Facebook on my tablet so that it doesn't take over my phone with all sorts of garbage notifications, some of which will come at 3 a.m. I try to encourage people to call or text, but they are reluctant to do so.

Since you seem to be fairly knowledgeable. --Does Facebook have some sort of policy against giving out your phone number. I would suppose that they want everything to go through Facebook to up their advertising dollars. When I sell through my son's account, I only have Facebook on my tablet so that it doesn't take over my phone with all sorts of garbage notifications, some of which will come at 3 a.m. I try to encourage people to call or text, but they are reluctant to do so.
I normally only sell and wait to give out my phone number/address when the buyer is serious. It's not against the rules at all...the part about being under 18 is what's up.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I normally only sell and wait to give out my phone number/address when the buyer is serious.
I am really not asking for their phone number. Want them to contact me by phone because I don't have tablet around me all of the time.

Much easier to set up time and date for pickup for me on my phone. For example, I am selling a brand new gallon of paint for $15. Several people have expressed interest, but when I ask them to call me they don't. Not worth it to me to disrupt my day by having tablet around all of the time -- or possibly miss communications when I am on golf course. No big deal to me whether I sell the paint or not. Mildly irritating that some people insist that communications all go through FB.

I am really not asking for their phone number. Want them to contact me by phone because I don't have tablet around me all of the time.

Much easier to set up time and date for pickup for me on my phone. For example, I am selling a brand new gallon of paint for $15. Several people have expressed interest, but when I ask them to call me they don't. Not worth it to me to disrupt my day by having tablet around all of the time -- or possibly miss communications when I am on golf course. No big deal to me whether I sell the paint or not. Mildly irritating that some people insist that communications all go through FB.

You might have better luck asking them to text you if interested.

You might have better luck asking them to text you if interested.
My experience is about half of the people that make contact aren't even really looking to buy. I sold an antique roll top desk to a friend two weeks ago because a guy no showed three times. I got less than I wanted but I didn't have to deal with the BS. Of course after we loaded it into my friends truck and delivered it I got a message from the guy saying the he could be there today.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I normally only sell and wait to give out my phone number/address when the buyer is serious. It's not against the rules at all...the part about being under 18 is what's up.

It's crazy that they would shut a page down without a warning though, isn't it? I mean, they've allowed people to livestream murders before without doing anything.

A good deal of what you described went on 1-violates Facebook's TOA as far as marketplace, and 2- would most likely trigger a good deal of the algorithms they have in place to stamp out child trafficking and other related crime.

Additionally, if she rarely uses her account, and then suddenly it becomes active in marketplace, people might be flagging her account as "looks fishy to me".

BTW, stay away from cars with a "Reconstructed" title. You could and probably will have problems getting insurance.

Reactions: stf110
Started using my son's Facebook account and letting my daughter deal with Facebook text messages on her phone. So far, reasonably smooth. We can go back and forth with sellers with Facebook text messages. Always worried that some text will violate Facebook rules and cause additional hassles.

Still don't like the hassles dealing with Facebook. It strikes me as the Walmart of the internet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT