ADVERTISEMENT

OT: “Blade Runner,” “Mona Lisa,” and “Tequila Sunrise” on TCM tonight, Friday

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
TCM is having a Neo-Noir festival on Fridays this month, hosted by Eddie Mueller, who really knows his stuff. They showed Harper and Point Blank last week but I hadn't realized until yesterday that it was an ongoing thing. There are a lot of films that TCM rarely shows, like Body Heat, Cutter's Way, and Night Moves, so I'm psyched. (Cutter's Way is early Jeff Bridges and John Heard, very fine.)

Tonight is a triple feature for the ages: Get Carter, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, and Chinatown.

I've never seen Get Carter, but I've heard of it and really wanted to see it. Its IMDB Trivia page is really something else, do check it out.

Two specific trivia items from Get Carter I think the board might appreciate:
This movie influenced Quentin Tarantino to become a filmmaker.
In 2004, this movie was selected as the number one British movie of all time by the British magazine Total Film.

I've seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle several times, very good late Robert Mitchum. Here's the plot: Eddie Coyle has no friends. (I stole that line from the back cover of my paperback copy of George V. Higgins’ novel.) And I've always considered Chinatown to be one of the top five American films.

carter-ls-bamf.jpg

Last edited:
I've really fallen in love with TCM. It has taken me away from binge watching, frankly. I watch old movies I've never heard of before and love the background information they give. The art of "suspense" in modern movies is lost. For example, I watched "The BIrds" while doing other stuff. After the movie, they went on to talk about how Tippi Hedren was "discovered" by Hitchcock. Also, how she was abused during the scene were she is attacked by birds in her home. They simply threw birds at her for hours as she screamed and cowered. The scene took several days to film (5?) and she was physically and emotionally exhausted for weeks afterwards. Hitchcock knew this would happen so filmed it almost last. Later, Hitchcock (according to Hedren) tried to "bed" her and threatened to ruin her career. Several people on the crew affirmed her story but later, she recanted it. Perhaps realizing that a) it no longer mattered and b) that her legacy is tied to that and other movies (with and without Hitchcock).

Anyway, I love watching the old WW2 and post WW2 movies I like seeing how they frame the times and events. During and after the war. I watched a movie about a convoy named "action in the north Atlantic" staring Humphry Bogart that was clearly the inspiration for Tom Hanks recent wolfpack movie. I love watching dramas about the human condition. My wife and I recently watched "All Fall Down" which was filmed in the Keys and stars Warren Beatty as a young womanizer who lives off of rich women and was written by the guy who wrote Midnight Cowboy. A totally forgotten movie so well put together and acted by Beatty, Angela Landsberry and Eva Marie Saint.

i also watched a movie named "36 hours" (James Garner, Rod Taylor, Eva Marie Saint) about some American spies trying to escape from Nazi Germany during the fall and was surprised to see John Banner (Sargent Schultz) play a german sympathizer (if the money was right). A charming and suspenseful movie that is almost forgotten.

Five TCM premieres:

Blade Runner
Cutter’s Way
Body Heat
To Live and Die in LA
Tequila Sunrise

I suppose that most of you would consider the best of these five to be either Body Heat or Blade Runner. Me, I’d pick Cutter’s Way.

Eddie Mueller really knows his stuff. His commentary will be fascinating, that’s a stone-cold fact.

Eddie does a film noire movie with his commentary on Saturday nights at midnight that is repeated at 10:00 on Sunday morning. Interesting stuff. I think they should expand the concept to include war, biographies and other historical movies.

Bump. Changed the Subject Line.

I really want to catch Pulp, it has Michael Caine and was directed by Mike Hodges, who directed Get Carter. I think Body Heat works perfectly, Kathleen Turner is the biggest bitch in movie history, what a psycho. That last scene with William Hurt in prison looking at the yearbook, amazing. I caught To Live and Die in L.A. thirty years ago and want to give it another shot, this time without the wife watching with me. It’s very violent and I guess it was overwhelming the first time I caught it.

Reactions: BBrown
Five TCM premieres:

Blade Runner
Cutter’s Way
Body Heat
To Live and Die in LA
Tequila Sunrise

I suppose that most of you would consider the best of these five to be either Body Heat or Blade Runner. Me, I’d pick Cutter’s Way.

Eddie Mueller really knows his stuff. His commentary will be fascinating, that’s a stone-cold fact.

To live and die in la would be my favorite and since it’s la how about la confidential?

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
A lot of Body Heat was shot in SoFla. I think Matty's house was in Hypoluxo. Lots of scenes in Lake Worth and Miami as well.

Reactions: brupsu
TCM is having a Neo-Noir festival on Fridays this month, hosted by Eddie Mueller, who really knows his stuff. They showed Harper and Point Blank last week but I hadn't realized until yesterday that it was an ongoing thing. There are a lot of films that TCM rarely shows, like Body Heat, Cutter's Way, and Night Moves, so I'm psyched. (Cutter's Way is early Jeff Bridges and John Heard, very fine.)

Tonight is a triple feature for the ages: Get Carter, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, and Chinatown.

I've never seen Get Carter, but I've heard of it and really wanted to see it. Its IMDB Trivia page is really something else, do check it out.

In 2004, this movie was selected as the number one British movie of all time by the British magazine Total Film.

I've seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle several times, very good late Robert Mitchum. Here's the plot: Eddie Coyle has no friends. (I stole that line from the back cover of my paperback copy of George V. Higgins’ novel.) And I've always considered Chinatown to be one of the top five American films.

carter-ls-bamf.jpg
looks like I will be drinking beer tonite!

Reactions: LionJim
Enjoy TCM and DVR a number of films a week. Still cannot make it 10 minutes into a Tarrantino film.

carter-ls-bamf.jpg
In my humble opinion, "Lawrence of Arabia" starring Peter O'Toole is the greatest British film of all time.

Reactions: brupsu
Try Jackie Brown.

Great recommendation for folks who are turned off by QT's sometimes over the top violence - it's very restrained and masterfully woven together. He's matured a lot as a filmmaker - Inglorious Basterds is his best work IMO even if the ending does go off the rails a bit (same with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but that was QT indulging in the idealized memory of Hollywood he had as a kid and re-writing history for a fave of his - Sharon Tate). He's been making the rounds lately promoting his novelization of his film 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...' and he knows more about cinema and TV than pretty much anyone I've ever heard talk about it. He can tell you cinematographers for episodes of 60's western shows, who the top stuntmen were in grindhouse films, and is basically a walking encyclopedia of Hollywood (and foreign) film. I get he's not to everyone's taste, but that guy absolutely worships and cares about film history. And you can tell by the guys he casts in movies - people he's looked up to like John Travolta (when he couldn't get a job anywhere), David Carradine (who has been doing nothing since Kung Fu), and Robert Forster in Jackie Brown. He originally cast Burt Reynolds to play George Spahn in OUATIH, and while he did participate in rehearsals, he died before filming started. QT has some awesome Burt Reynolds stories too - again, a guy he grew up watching on shows like Gunsmoke and Riverboat.

I agree with LJ. Also, you might not like Inglourious Basterds but the first ten minutes of it with Christoph Waltz are great.

Agreed. I think everything up until the final act is top notch and 90% of it is just dialogue (in French, English, German). The opening scene is brilliant. To think Michael Fassbender auditioned for that role but was cast as Lt. Archie Hicox instead. And originally, the part was written for DiCaprio. Waltz kills it though because he's unexpected and goes from smiling to sinister in a flash. And Fassbender is great as Hicox.

Reactions: BBrown
Everything Tarantino does is derivative.

He wears his influences on his sleeve, but he’s done a ton of original stuff that is continually copied today. The camera rotating around the diner table in Reservoir Dogs while not focused on the speaker, killing a main character mid way through a movie, telling stories out of order, strong soundtracks, etc.

Did you like True Romance?

Reactions: BBrown and Bob78
He wears his influences on his sleeve, but he’s done a ton of original stuff that is continually copied today. The camera rotating around the diner table in Reservoir Dogs while not focused on the speaker, killing a main character mid way through a movie, telling stories out of order, strong soundtracks, etc.

Did you like True Romance?
I haven’t seen True Romance. I sold my Reservoir Dogs DVD back. I kept Jackie Brown. I think Pulp Fiction is just that...pulp fiction. I don’t recall the circle shot from Reservoir Dogs. Does it bear any resemblance to the circle shot from Easy Rider? (Not sure how to embed a YouTube video on Rivals.)

Did my YouTube video embed successfully? Because even after I posted it, it just showed up as a link. Now I see the embedded video.

If you couldn’t tell, I haven’t been active on Rivals boards for quite some time. The Buckeye Rivals board used to be great but the guys from Buckeye Sports Bulletin took over and killed that years ago. Then they did the same thing to the Scout site. And 247sports sucks. Now I’m just sort of a wanderer.

Did my YouTube video embed successfully? Because even after I posted it, it just showed up as a link. Now I see the embedded video.

If you couldn’t tell, I haven’t been active on Rivals boards for quite some time. The Buckeye Rivals board used to be great but the guys from Buckeye Sports Bulletin took over and killed that years ago. Then they did the same thing to the Scout site. And 247sports sucks. Now I’m just sort of a wanderer.

It worked. And welcome.

Cool. Go with the flow here and you’ll find your niche.

Bump, subject line changed.

Blood Simple is the Coen brothers’ first film, very creepy, from 1984. I’ve never seen Night Moves, so I’m psyched. It stars Gene Hackman and is directed by Arthur Penn, who did Bonnie and Clyde. From 1975. As for Cutter’s Way, it’s one of the great American films nobody has seen, paranoid as hell, a perfect film for these days. Stars Jeff Bridges, John Heard, and Lisa Eichhorn, from 1981, directed by Ivan Passer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and Bob78
I usually like these movies, but gotta be honest, I watched Pulp last week and thought it was dreadful.

Bump, subject line changed.

Blood Simple is the Coen brothers’ first film, very creepy, from 1984. I’ve never seen Night Moves, so I’m psyched. It stars Gene Hackman and is directed by Arthur Penn, who did Bonnie and Clyde. From 1975. As for Cutter’s Way, it’s one of the great American films nobody has seen, paranoid as hell, a perfect film for these days. Stars Jeff Bridges, John Heard, and Lisa Eichhorn, from 1981.
Thanks for posting the info.
I really liked Blood Simple when I saw it, but it has been many, many years. maybe I'll catch it again now. It was out around the same time as Body Double (Brian DePalma), another film I really liked.

Another intriguing (to me) Hackman film is "The Conversation", from about 1974. I've found that probably only about half of my friends who are movie fans have seen it. Imo, it is well worth a watch.

Reactions: Nittany_93
ADVERTISEMENT