ADVERTISEMENT

OSU vs Wisconsin

Raised their Big 10 Champ banner. Thanks to Bo and the boys(Nick Lee fighting back was awesome) plus Sorenson,Berger,Conel etc, that's their bragging right. Even after tweeting all their favorite wrestlers(every PSU opponent) to win at NCAAs they couldn't get enough help to get the banner that mattered.
Yeah, I like the banner that PSU raised on Nov 11 a whole lot better.

Agreed. McKenna is looking like he has a real good shot at NC. I can't wait to see how much of the gap Nick has closed. I hate to admit MyMar is the fav as well, but the thought of Shak tying him up in a cradle makes me feel like I'm sitting next to a warm fire. tOSU could easily have multi-national champs this year so we can't fall asleep as the odds on favorites. If they are denied at these two weights, I can easily see two PSUers as the reason.

Reactions: fronk71
Moore is back too after a down year. His battle(s) with Nickal should be epic. Dual meet with OSU will be a challenge for PSU.

PSU recognized their Big Ten Championship in football without winning the National Championship or even making the playoff. Have no problem with teams recognizing championships.

Down year? Moore was the NCAA #1 seed at 197. You can say he had a disappointing NCAA tourney, but hardly a down year.

He was definitely a different wrestler last year then he was his freshman year, by his own admission. His activity level/gas tank was not what it was the prior year. He looked his old self at Vegas and today. No

I think RBY puts it on Pletcher pretty good.

While I hope you’re right, and depending on your definition of “pretty good”, I don’t see it. Pletcher’s style and ability makes it hard to put up a lot of points. However, I could see rby winning by 2-4 points and the match not being as close as the score indicates. If that’s what you’re referring to then I agree. If you’re talking about a major decision, then I disagree.

He was definitely a different wrestler last year then he was his freshman year, by his own admission. His activity level/gas tank was not what it was the prior year. He looked his old self at Vegas and today. No

IIRC, Moore was having a dominant year in 2017 until Cassar personally welcomed him to Rec Hall. Things did seem to change a bit for his season after that.

Doubtful IMO. Pletch is solid and pretty good at slowing things down. I would expect a close match.
He will have to work exceptionally hard to slow RBY down. I don't think RBY let's Pletcher dictate a 4-3 match. If Pletcher wants to beat RBY, Pletcher will need to commit to scoring 8 points or more. I don't think that Zebra has those stripes.

Reactions: danoftw
While I hope you’re right, and depending on your definition of “pretty good”, I don’t see it. Pletcher’s style and ability makes it hard to put up a lot of points. However, I could see rby winning by 2-4 points and the match not being as close as the score indicates. If that’s what you’re referring to then I agree. If you’re talking about a major decision, then I disagree.
I don't know yet if RBY is to the point of majoring Pletcher. I am getting to the point where I believe Pletcher must wrestle a helluva match with an unnatural aggressiveness just to stay reasonably close.

IIRC, Moore was having a dominant year in 2017 until Cassar personally welcomed him to Rec Hall. Things did seem to change a bit for his season after that.
That's what I thought too. Remember a couple close ones, looked like he didn't have the wind,talk of the cut. I looked earlier and he was 17 or 18-0 with maybe 10 bonus wins up to Cassar match. He only lost to 3 guys Cassar, Macchiavello and Conel 2x. Don't think he faced anyone highly ranked yet this year. Agree Cassar shook him a bit. Cox and Pfarr were gone and it was supposed to be his weight class.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUbluTX
He will have to work exceptionally hard to slow RBY down. I don't think RBY let's Pletcher dictate a 4-3 match. If Pletcher wants to beat RBY, Pletcher will need to commit to scoring 8 points or more. I don't think that Zebra has those stripes.
I hope you're right, but this makes me think of the Nolf-IMar Big10 and NCAA matches. IMar slowed things down enough and Perry challenged when Imar needed some air at Bigs. I know Pletcher isn't IMar but he can really slow things down and is used to winning tight ones.

Not if you watched him all year. His difficulties were from day one.

I hope you're right, but this makes me think of the Nolf-IMar Big10 and NCAA matches. IMar slowed things down enough and Perry challenged when Imar needed some air at Bigs. I know Pletcher isn't IMar but he can really slow things down and is used to winning tight ones.
Pletcher isn't anywhere near an IMar.

Waiting to see for true freshman RBY vs true junior Pletcher. These are the matches that give the wrester and coach a gauge of where they're at...win or lose.

We'll surely be discussing this again, just prior to the tOSU match in February, after what will surely be RBY's toughest competition to-date at the Scuffle.

Do you think RBY is anywhere near Nolf?

I think true freshman RBY is very comparable to true freshman Nolf. Nolf improved quite a bit the first year and RBY will too. RBY is clearly going to be a great one (barring injury), but it is going to be fun to see how far along that path he is at this point. I have been in the room watching David Carr and see some of the same things I see in RBY. Blinding speed and great instincts.

I think true freshman RBY is very comparable to true freshman Nolf. Nolf improved quite a bit the first year and RBY will too. RBY is clearly going to be a great one (barring injury), but it is going to be fun to see how far along that path he is at this point. I have been in the room watching David Carr and see some of the same things I see in RBY. Blinding speed and great instincts.
His quickness is unquestioned. I think it’s a bit premature to compare him to Nolf in any capacity, but we’ll see. Since you’re in the ISU room, do you think RBY is clearly better than Gomez?

I don't know yet if RBY is to the point of majoring Pletcher. I am getting to the point where I believe Pletcher must wrestle a helluva match with an unnatural aggressiveness just to stay reasonably close.

LOL at "unnatural aggressiveness"... oh man...

Reactions: nitlion6
His quickness is unquestioned. I think it’s a bit premature to compare him to Nolf in any capacity, but we’ll see. Since you’re in the ISU room, do you think RBY is clearly better than Gomez?

I don't have Spyker type access at ISU. I have never been able to see Gomez go live in a practice setting. He was banged up early pre season but from all reports he is a tough cookie. I would guess he and RBY would be a very entertaining matchup at this point in time. Nobody is Jason Nolf- even Jason Nolf must feel lucky to be in the same room with himself. I think the fact that Cael put him out there from day one is where I have formed my opinion of RBY. Cael would not have stuck him out there unless he believed he could score significant points at the dance. I would love to watch live goes between RBY and Nick Lee but like I said I'm no Spyker.

Moore was not himself all last year. He looked vulnerable all year. That was even before Cassar beat him. He looks better this year again.

Pletcher has only been majored twice in college. If RBY can pull that off, I will be impressed. Mike Evans won't be but I will.

Last edited:
I think it is way to early to go there . My memory isn't what it used to be but didn't freshmen Nolf have only one loss and that was to Green. If I recall he gave Green everything he could handle. He may end up being as good as true freshmen Nolf but way too early to make that statement.

I think it is way to early to go there . My memory isn't what it used to be but didn't freshmen Nolf have only one loss and that was to Green. If I recall he gave Green everything he could handle. He may end up being as good as true freshmen Nolf but way too early to make that statement.
The main difference that I see, at this point, is experience. RBY racked up a ton of Ws against Arizona competition. Jason was a young gun/WPIAL kid, who did some travel to big tourneys.

What is incredibly encouraging is all the talk from coaches and players about how quickly the kid is learning. I’m not a big Wrestler Y is the next Wrestler X kind of fan. Around these parts, it’s impressive enough to be “the next Penn State starter a X lbs.”. Add in the “true frosh” modifier and well, dang!

Moore was not himself all last year. He looked vulnerable all year. That was even before Cassar beat him. He looks better this year again.

Last year, before the Cassar loss, Moore was undefeated with regular decision wins over Ben Honis and Eric Schultz, a tech fall over Christian Brunner, and a bonus rate of 66 percent.

This year in the early going, he is undefeated with regular decision wins over Honis and Schultz, a major decision win over Brunner, and a bonus rate of 57 percent.

His results have been nearly identical.

Pletcher mainly works slide-bys but can use them frequently and hard.

If RBY is ready for that, he'll be OK. If not, it could be a long. frustrating match.

Last year, before the Cassar loss, Moore was undefeated with regular decision wins over Ben Honis and Eric Schultz, a tech fall over Christian Brunner, and a bonus rate of 66 percent.

This year in the early going, he is undefeated with regular decision wins over Honis and Schultz, a major decision win over Brunner, and a bonus rate of 57 percent.

His results have been nearly identical.
Bringing facts to the thread. How bizarre ;)

Since OSU wrestled at Cliff Keen we have a little better gauge on OSU. My very early guess is that our dual will again be a barn burner. After I see our guys at the Scuffle maybe I'll change my mind.

Hard to predict 125 for either team right now, at 133 Pletcher is gonna be Pletcher ... tough out. Gotta give them the edge at 141, 149 and 184 ... we are favs at the other 5 weights. I've got to think though, everything will need to fall their way to pull off the upset. Even if they win 5 matches, they will need to avoid bonus points in the other 5 ... I predict Ryan will be throwing bricks all over the place.

Tourney team? There's a little more separation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT