ADVERTISEMENT

OSU sex abuse scandal

If this project does nothing else, I hope that Gym Jordan slinks away, back into his cave and out of public life.
That may be the goal given Clooney's involvement. This may end up having nothing to do with an entire university's leadership being aware and enabling abuse for decades but rather be intended as a political hit piece.

Why aren’t more people talking about the OSU sex abuse scandal?

Article from SI

If this is already posted somewhere please delete. I didn’t see it on the first page.

If the NCAA and B1G were consistent, every men's sport at OSU would be docked scholarships and stripped of financial support from the B1G.
What did Gene Smith and Gordon Gee know and when?

Reactions: ChiTownLion
One thing is certain and that is it will continually reference the "PSU" scandal throughout the either show.

Reactions: odshowtime
That may be the goal given Clooney's involvement. This may end up having nothing to do with an entire university's leadership being aware and enabling abuse for decades but rather be intended as a political hit piece.
This is possible, but given the target, it’d still be worth it. Gym is a bad dude and should have no place serving in the US Congress. Of course, he’s not alone, but one less creep is better than nothing.

Any exposure of the THE OSU Scandal is better than none which we what have witnessed so far. A hit piece on them is unlikely as they continue to skate above the fray given their wise actions in hiding this from a PR standpoint. I want them exposed fully and all those who were informed and did nothing to pay for their complicity,.

Last edited:
Reactions: odshowtime
Any exposure of the THE OSU Scandal is better than none which we what we have witnessed so far. A hit piece on them is unlikely as the continue to skete above the fray given their wise actions in hiding this from a PR standpoint. I want them exposed fully and all those who were informed and did nothing to pay for their complicity,.
I want a seat next to Ed Ray at the viewing party.

I thought Twitter was fact checking and flagging misinformation?? 2,000 retweets!

George Clooney to Produce Ohio State Abuse Scandal Docuseries

The star's Smokehouse Pictures is teaming with Sports Illustrated Studios and 101 Studios for the project, based on an article by Jon Wertheim.

George Clooney and Grant Heslov's Smokehouse Pictures will produce a docuseries about a decades-long abuse scandal in the athletic department at Ohio State University.

The series is based on an October 2020 Sports Illustrated story by Jon Wertheim, which detailed a long list of allegations against former Ohio State sports doctor Richard Strauss and university officials' lack of response. Sports Illustrated Studios and 101 Studios are producing alongside Smokehouse Pictures.

"This article uncovers the most widespread sexual abuse scandal in the history of American higher education. It is a story about power, abuse, enabling and the hierarchy of college sports that had been concealed for far too long," said Wertheim, who will be an executive producer of the series. "Because these courageous men made the decision to remain silent no longer, we can finally begin to hold the abuser, and those who were complicit in their silence, accountable for their actions — and inactions. With the help of 101 Studios, [SI owner] Authentic Brands Group and Smokehouse Pictures, their voices and stories — harrowing as they are — will be amplified."

Said Clooney and Heslov in a statement, "We're very pleased to partner with 101 Studios and Sports Illustrated in bringing this devastating and tragic story to light."

Wertheim's story includes an account from former Ohio State wrestler (and UFC champion) Mark Coleman about Strauss' alleged sexual abuse and administration of steroids to athletes. Coleman also alleges that Rep. Jim Jordan, then an Ohio State assistant wrestling coach and now a U.S. congressman, knowingly ignored Strauss' abuse.

The university quietly released Strauss from his position in the athletic department, but he remained a tenured professor at Ohio State. He later operated a private clinic near the Ohio State campus before moving to California in 1998. Strauss committed suicide in 2005.

"It's enormously important that we continue to shine a light on this ongoing, painful story and further explore its wide-ranging effects" said Marc Rosen, president of entertainment at Authentic Brands Group. "We are lucky to be able to tap into the exceptional journalism of Sports Illustrated's Jon Wertheim, and we are incredibly proud and humbled to bring even more awareness to his investigation."

Authentic Brands Group formed Sports Illustrated Studios in partnership with 101 Studios last year.

Clooney, Heslov and Wertheim will executive produce the Ohio State docuseries with Jamie Salter, Corey Salter and Marc Rosen of Sports Illustrated Studios and David Glasser, Ron Burkle and Bob Yari of 101 Studios.

Last edited:
Fake Buckeye
Other than this docu-series, George Clooney appears to have no connection to Ohio State.

After his parents moved to Augusta, Kentucky, Clooney attended Augusta High School. He has stated that he earned all As and a B in school,[13] and played baseball and basketball. He tried out to play professional baseball with the Cincinnati Reds in 1977, but he did not pass the first round of player cuts and was not offered a contract.[28] He attended Northern Kentucky University from 1979 to 1981, majoring in broadcast journalism, and very briefly attended the University of Cincinnati, but did not graduate from either.[29] He earned money selling women's shoes, insurance door-to-door, stocking shelves, working in construction, and cutting tobacco.

I hate OSU as much as (more than?) the next guy, but this really doesn't have anything (as far as I can tell) to do with the university other than it's not a good look that their players were hiring a hooker who posed as a massage therapist.
Reported on another site that 5 players were involved? Although some players rejected the advances and reported her. Clearly a few others partook in sexual activity, but when she demanded money, they reported it. That's when it became an issue -- a possible blackmail type of situation.

Not a great look for the players involved, but otherwise......meh.

Reactions: OhioLion
Reported on another site that 5 players were involved? Although some players rejected the advances and reported her. Clearly a few others partook in sexual activity, but when she demanded money, they reported it. That's when it became an issue -- a possible blackmail type of situation.

Not a great look for the players involved, but otherwise......meh.
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought too after reading an article - a blackmail scheme on her part. No NCAA violations since the players didn't receive money and can have free sex with whomever they want, but - like you said - definitely not a good look for some of their players

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought too after reading an article - a blackmail scheme on her part. No NCAA violations since the players didn't receive money and can have free sex with whomever they want, but - like you said - definitely not a good look for some of their players
I saw rumblings online earlier today about a 3:30pm presser and some potentially bad news. This hardly lived up to the hype.

(some thought that AD Gene Smith was getting the Pac-12 commish job, but it went to some exec instead)

Didn't Rep. Jim Jordan have something to do with that?
The Strauss scandal.......yes. I believe some of the athletes who were abused were wrestlers, and they allege Jordan knew and did his part to conceal it.

Doctors be some weird people man. Always fudging ya kids circumcision paperwork because their neo pagan ritual beliefs don't jive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT