ADVERTISEMENT

OSU more than doubles Schiano's salary

6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34a87de1c803b0aa74343bed9a.jpg

Well, the players ARE being paid anywhere from $100,000 to $200,000 via their scholarships covering four years of college.

And I'll bet If a lesser sum were offered in the form of cash money a bunch would jump on it. But how about this: make the scholarship packages negotiable and transferable. Let kids who don'r want them sell them on the open market to the highest bidder.

Had a feeling this was coming as OSU's AD was quoted a week or so ago lamenting how out of control coaching salaries are becoming...a sure sign that OSU was about to breach the $1 million yardstick for assistants. To a certain degree it makes sense for Schiano, who was lined up to be a head coach at TN (and would most likely receive other offers from schools with less retarded fan bases) or an NFL coordinator, both of which would pay him as much or more than $1.5 million. Day is a bit of a surprise, but he was actually scheduled to go up to $800K in the second year of his current contract, so the revision to $1 million is really "only" a $200K bump, not the $600K being reported. He also reportedly is signing a 3-year deal, which is one of the longest contracts I've every heard Meyer having with an assistant coach.

This whole situation caused me to go back and look for info on Woody Hayes. There is an alleged quote of his where he responded to the complaint of an OSU professor that Hayes made too much money by telling him, "I can do what you do, but you can't do what I do." Valid point. However, I also found mention that Hayes's final salary when he was canned in 1978 after "The Punch" was $43,000 per year. He also supposedly refused several pay increases if he didn't think he deserved them, and allocated money to his assistants, such that he actually made less than some of his assistants.

Those were different times, for sure.

Good stuff. Must be that destroyer commander mentality. Take care of the troops first.

What in the hell are you even talking about? What culture problem is going on here? What about this comes close to warranting OUTRAGE? You're surprised that Ohio State Football has enough money to keep their coaches from accepting NFL jobs, but since "Franklin's character and the way he runs the program, I'm O.K with it". This is just an incoherent rambling with 0 substance, sounds like a a teenage girl trying to be political saying "we need to do something"

Why is it so hard to understand?! Bob says Franklin has character. He infers Urban does not. As evidenced by him whoring himself out over assistant coaching' salaries. You sound like a teenage girl crying "rape!" when she invited you to the back seat.

And I'll bet If a lesser sum were offered in the form of cash money a bunch would jump on it. But how about this: make the scholarship packages negotiable and transferable. Let kids who don'r want them sell them on the open market to the highest bidder.
It's not theirs to sell. Based on current rules.

It's not theirs to sell. Based on current rules.

So they are being "paid" in non-negotiable currency?

One day, some attorney is going to find a judge who isn't afraid of the potential consequences that a correct ruling under the law will have on college football

Reactions: 91Joe95
ADVERTISEMENT