ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Match Breakdown

Buckeye thread - some pretty on point predictions and then it reads like our FB board when we play the Bucks. Refreshing lack of you know what type of posts that you’ll see a lot on Rutgers or Pitt boards. I didn’t see an Eleven Warriors thread which is weird

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...psu-vs-osu-dual-meet-friday-160948965/?page=1
@Chickenman Testa
As a connoisseur of fine schadenfreude, make sure you give a listen to the latest Inside Trip podcast. You know it's getting pretty bad when the homers for the team start unsarcastically quoting BWI board memes--and they do it a lot.

tOSU - PSU review. This inside trip podcast is worth a listen. I like these guys and when where warranted they pull no punches.

I'm pretty sure the team point was deducted for throwing his head gear.

That is exactly what the team point was for.

My point was, when emotions are running high, it’s important to keep them in check. Clapping in the face of your opponent after you pin them could be called an unsportsman like which would result in a team point. I’ve seen far less called. Do I think it should be called, no. I’ve seen far worse not called ( see Desanto ).

However, as I previously mentioned, come time to dance, it’s important to keep ourselves in check. With how tight this race has the potential to be, we can’t afford to hurt ourselves.

That is exactly what the team point was for.

My point was, when emotions are running high, it’s important to keep them in check. Clapping in the face of your opponent after you pin them could be called an unsportsman like which would result in a team point. I’ve seen far less called. Do I think it should be called, no. I’ve seen far worse not called ( see Desanto ).

However, as I previously mentioned, come time to dance, it’s important to keep ourselves in check. With how tight this race has the potential to be, we can’t afford to hurt ourselves.
It isn't like there is a n extensive history of Cael's kids behaving egregiously after an emotional win or loss.

Buckeye thread - some pretty on point predictions and then it reads like our FB board when we play the Bucks. Refreshing lack of you know what type of posts that you’ll see a lot on Rutgers or Pitt boards. I didn’t see an Eleven Warriors thread which is weird

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...psu-vs-osu-dual-meet-friday-160948965/?page=1
The honesty in that thread is refreshing for a fansite but IMO a little overboard on the personal side (calling some of their guys lazy or quitters) for a college team. It's one thing to take it to professionals, but slush funds jokes aside, these guys are still kids getting an education and not professional athletes.

Reactions: hlstone
It isn't like there is a n extensive history of Cael's kids behaving egregiously after an emotional win or loss.

I never said there was. Some of you are reading too much into this. I’m not calling for an investigation, or that he needs to face consequences for his actions. I get why he was fired up, there’s history there. However, depending on the ref, it could have been called.

I never said there was. Some of you are reading too much into this. I’m not calling for an investigation, or that he needs to face consequences for his actions. I get why he was fired up, there’s history there. However, depending on the ref, it could have been called.

Nope! A ref would not call on that - as nothing happened.

IIRC a few weeks ago Nebraska had a point deduction for something less egregious than this (and by no means do I think Beard's clapping was a taunt). It was part of what drove Willie to go on a Bad Reffing Week tangent.

So it is could conceivably draw a deduction. But it would take a hyper sensitive ref.

It was also far less egregious than Bo Nickal taunting the CHA crowd after spladling The Mullet. Which did not get flagged.

Reactions: Junglekitty
IIRC a few weeks ago Nebraska had a point deduction for something less egregious than this (and by no means do I think Beard's clapping was a taunt). It was part of what drove Willie to go on a Bad Reffing Week tangent.

So it is could conceivably draw a deduction. But it would take a hyper sensitive ref.

It was also far less egregious than Bo Nickal taunting the CHA crowd after spladling The Mullet. Which did not get flagged.

If I’m not mistaken, one head coach ( I forget which one at the moment ) got deducted for the shirt he was wearing. I want to say it was Bono, but I won’t stand by that.

Nope! A ref would not call on that - as nothing happened.

If you think for one second that Beard clapping in the face of Hoffman could not be called you have blinders on. Teams have been getting dinged points left and right this year. All it takes is the right ref on the wrong day. Refer

Emotion is part of sport, so is self-control. All of you are right.

Situation is, we're dealing with human beings here (yes, refs are human for those that think otherwise). Where one might tolerate a behavior, another may not, and there's not a rule that can be written that will prevent a variety of calls. The egregious ones (such as set Willie off), where ref incompetence is a factor, are separate.

Wrestling is a physically demanding, one-on-one, gladiator-like sport. I prefer actions that show respect for the opponent. (Bo throwing his headgear is an entirely different discussion).

If I’m not mistaken, one head coach ( I forget which one at the moment ) got deducted for the shirt he was wearing. I want to say it was Bono, but I won’t stand by that.

If you think for one second that Beard clapping in the face of Hoffman could not be called you have blinders on. Teams have been getting dinged points left and right this year. All it takes is the right ref on the wrong day. Refer
Schwab, I think

Rulebook says...

Coaches’ Attire. The wearing of jeans, T-shirts, sweatshirts/sweatpants
and noninstitutional-logoed warm-up suits (tops and/or bottom), headwear
and similar apparel are not suitable attire for coaches during competition and,
therefore, are prohibited. Institutional-logoed tops/jackets are permissible.
Each coach in violation of this rule shall be penalized with a control of mat
area violation. Further, the coach(es) in violation shall not sit in the designated
reserved zone for coaching if the prohibited apparel is not replaced with suitable
attire.

He stood up, looked at Hoffman still on the mat, and clapped. To me, that’s clapping in his face. Just because he wasn’t 2 inches away doesn’t mitigate that fact. Just because that ref chose not to take a point away, doesn’t mean the next one will do so. I am a certified official and that can be a misconduct, end of discussion.

These guys should spend 10 minutes refing football or basketball. Celebration after every play even when you team is down by 20, spiking footballs everywhere...

Don't get me started on the worst part which is deducting team points, what other sport....outrageous!!!!!!

Reactions: danoftw
He stood up, looked at Hoffman still on the mat, and clapped. To me, that’s clapping in his face. Just because he wasn’t 2 inches away doesn’t mitigate that fact. Just because that ref chose not to take a point away, doesn’t mean the next one will do so. I am a certified official and that can be a misconduct, end of discussion.

I'm also an official. I joined to learn the rules and not necessarily take the mat. I don't know if you are college or HS ref. There is a big difference between a call or a non call for each level.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I'm also an official. I joined to learn the rules and not necessarily take the mat. I don't know if you are college or HS ref. There is a big difference between a call or a non call for each level.

Absolutely. Once again, I’m not saying I would have called it. I’m just saying, it could have been called. I don’t want Beard punished, I don’t want anyone to think I’m bashing him. He’s a good kid with a bright future.

Not a ref, never wrestled. It was a good no call.....but it could be called. Beard went to the circle and stuck his hand out to shake. Perfect gentleman.

Knowing the history, makes it look like it could be taunting.

All that is true. However, if RBY goes at Olynpic Trials he is more likely to go 57kg than 65kg, where he would be very undersized and still have Zain, Yianni, Oliver, etal to deal with.

Excellent point! :) That's a great problem to have for USA Wrestling. :)

ADVERTISEMENT