ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Match Breakdown

Junglekitty

Feb 15, 2018
125: Howard wrestled really well. Showed a variety of attacks and wrestled the whole time. Gas tank looked better as I expected. Heinselman was a nice test to see where he’s at. I think this does more for Howard than Malik. I actually expect the results to flip next time.

133: RBY did what RBY does. He’s an athletic freak, tough to score on, and can score from just about anywhere. Whoever he wrestles better be ready to go 7 minutes because he’s bringing it. Anyone who doesn’t have him in title contention loses all wrestling credibility with me.

141: Nick Lee gets the bonus train back on track. Rode tough, and continually attacked. I think DEmilio could have been hit for stalling a few more times, but it is what it is. Really wish he got to wrestle Seabass and Eierman. I think Nick wrestles guys so much better after the first meeting, but I’m still taking him against either guy.

149: Bartlett doesn’t mess around. Has the PSU gas tank and didn’t wrestle with fear. He’s exactly what we hoped he would be. Not many guys in the country have ever finished a shot that clean on Sasso. I think he’s a little undersized for the weight, but his ability will make up for a lot of that. He showed the freshman struggles on bottom, but credit to Sasso, he’s one of the best at 49 on top. I’ll be interested to see what Cael’s decision is here. I still think it’s up in the air. Cheers to the next 4 years of watching Beau, it’s gonna be fun.

157: Once again, Berge shows how tough he is to score on, and can get a takedown when he needs it. The 3-1 score doesn’t really bother me, and everyone should get used to it. His matches will be low scoring, the nice thing is, more times than not, he gets the team points, and that’s what counts. My only worry is with a guy who continues to fire attacks, if he doesn’t score on a few, stall calls could take him out of his game.

165: Joe Lee got a little out of position and paid for it. He flashed the offense he had from last year so that’s a positive to take away from the match. I’m still not worried, hopefully this lights a fire and he goes on a streak.

174: 2 matches, 2 guys ranked at 2, 2 “upsets”. CStar has the tools. He opened up slightly, however I was hoping for a few more dedicated attacks. I think the Massa win helped his confidence after the loss, and this one does the same. I’m guessing the next match we see even more offense. His takedown defense was phenomenal, and he’ll need all of it against Labs and Kem. He’s still not committing to a ride which baffles me, he was a hammer on top last year. Part of me thinks maybe he’s not showing everything he has quite yet, part of me wants to slap me for thinking that. That’s way to risky against some of the best guys in the country right? I thought so.

184: I’d like someone to post the stats of attack rate in the NCAA. If Brooks isn’t in the top 3, I’d be surprised. The first shot by Jordan he showed his physical strength getting his leg back then going to the far leg to eventually score. Glad he’s one of ours.

197: Whatever someone said to Beard before he went out there, they need to do it every time. I’ve watched Beard since he was probably a jr in highschool. He hit that shot harder than any other one I’ve seen him hit. He wears the chip on his shoulder quite well. Hopefully he takes every match personal from here on out. My only negative ( although I liked it ), some refs may have dinged a team point for the clapping in the face. I know guys have gotten away with far worse, but we saw what happened when Bo pinned Myles, ya just never know.

285: Snacks gets it done against a higher ranked foe. It wasn’t overly impressive, but I think that shows what he’s got. When you don’t wrestle your best and still beat someone ranked higher than you, it’s a great day. He’s got more to give, and he’ll get even better in the room. This one was big on so many levels, for seeding, for confidence, and for learning experiences. I’m guessing that’s the last time he gives up on a ride with seconds remaining.

We Are!

Agree on 125. I think Robbie beats him next time. Got a bit lazy on the whizzer for the first take down. Won’t happen again

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Agree on 125. I think Robbie beats him next time. Got a bit lazy on the whizzer for the first take down. Won’t happen again
RoHo has looked small in both matches now. No shame in the loss tonight, but being undersized against a seasoned guy like Malik is not easily overcome. I disagree on the confidence Howard wins the rematch. He needed a year too get man-muscles and if not for free year he prolly would have.

RoHo has looked small in both matches now. No shame in the loss tonight, but being undersized against a seasoned guy like Malik is not easily overcome. I disagree on the confidence Howard wins the rematch. He needed a year too get man-muscles and if not for free year he prolly would have.

Interesting take. I won’t totally disagree with the size difference. However, Robbie lost 5-2. Made a mistake on his shot defense that cost him takedown, in his second college match, against a top ten guy in the country. I don’t think you walk away from that thinking “well he’s just better.” My confidence is rooted in that I think next match, Howard ends up actually converting a takedown or two of his own, which flips the outcome IMO.

Reactions: Str8DBLz

I thought Robbie looked a little bigger than Malik honestly. Malik was tiny last year and the added pounds and traning have made him a new man this year. I don't see a size problem. Don't doubt how much Robbie can gain in experience from just a handful of matches. I believe his trajectory will be such, that wherever he finishes at Bigs, he will finish higher at NCAAs.

Heck he barely was given the ok to wrestle last week and Cael has said he has had limited time in the room. Today's Robbie is not yet the March Robbie.

To a lesser extent the same for BB at 149.

I am really Jazzed about the potential for both this year.

125: Howard wrestled really well. Showed a variety of attacks and wrestled the whole time. Gas tank looked better as I expected. Heinselman was a nice test to see where he’s at. I think this does more for Howard than Malik. I actually expect the results to flip next time.

133: RBY did what RBY does. He’s an athletic freak, tough to score on, and can score from just about anywhere. Whoever he wrestles better be ready to go 7 minutes because he’s bringing it. Anyone who doesn’t have him in title contention loses all wrestling credibility with me.

141: Nick Lee gets the bonus train back on track. Rode tough, and continually attacked. I think DEmilio could have been hit for stalling a few more times, but it is what it is. Really wish he got to wrestle Seabass and Eierman. I think Nick wrestles guys so much better after the first meeting, but I’m still taking him against either guy.

149: Bartlett doesn’t mess around. Has the PSU gas tank and didn’t wrestle with fear. He’s exactly what we hoped he would be. Not many guys in the country have ever finished a shot that clean on Sasso. I think he’s a little undersized for the weight, but his ability will make up for a lot of that. He showed the freshman struggles on bottom, but credit to Sasso, he’s one of the best at 49 on top. I’ll be interested to see what Cael’s decision is here. I still think it’s up in the air. Cheers to the next 4 years of watching Beau, it’s gonna be fun.

157: Once again, Berge shows how tough he is to score on, and can get a takedown when he needs it. The 3-1 score doesn’t really bother me, and everyone should get used to it. His matches will be low scoring, the nice thing is, more times than not, he gets the team points, and that’s what counts. My only worry is with a guy who continues to fire attacks, if he doesn’t score on a few, stall calls could take him out of his game.

165: Joe Lee got a little out of position and paid for it. He flashed the offense he had from last year so that’s a positive to take away from the match. I’m still not worried, hopefully this lights a fire and he goes on a streak.

174: 2 matches, 2 guys ranked at 2, 2 “upsets”. CStar has the tools. He opened up slightly, however I was hoping for a few more dedicated attacks. I think the Massa win helped his confidence after the loss, and this one does the same. I’m guessing the next match we see even more offense. His takedown defense was phenomenal, and he’ll need all of it against Labs and Kem. He’s still not committing to a ride which baffles me, he was a hammer on top last year. Part of me thinks maybe he’s not showing everything he has quite yet, part of me wants to slap me for thinking that. That’s way to risky against some of the best guys in the country right? I thought so.

184: I’d like someone to post the stats of attack rate in the NCAA. If Brooks isn’t in the top 3, I’d be surprised. The first shot by Jordan he showed his physical strength getting his leg back then going to the far leg to eventually score. Glad he’s one of ours.

197: Whatever someone said to Beard before he went out there, they need to do it every time. I’ve watched Beard since he was probably a jr in highschool. He hit that shot harder than any other one I’ve seen him hit. He wears the chip on his shoulder quite well. Hopefully he takes every match personal from here on out. My only negative ( although I liked it ), some refs may have dinged a team point for the clapping in the face. I know guys have gotten away with far worse, but we saw what happened when Bo pinned Myles, ya just never know.

285: Snacks gets it done against a higher ranked foe. It wasn’t overly impressive, but I think that shows what he’s got. When you don’t wrestle your best and still beat someone ranked higher than you, it’s a great day. He’s got more to give, and he’ll get even better in the room. This one was big on so many levels, for seeding, for confidence, and for learning experiences. I’m guessing that’s the last time he gives up on a ride with seconds remaining.

We Are!

Starocci has amazing defense. Massa couldn't do a thing with him last week, and like you said, he's now 2 for 2 against these top tier guys and clearly peaking at the right time. Aside from Starocci, I was also impressed with how well Bartlett fared against Sasso, who's been dismantling opponents as of late. Finally, that Joe Lee loss was a big time fluke. The poor kid practically pinned himself...a good freshman lesson learned that he probably won't let happen again. The team is looking pretty strong going into B10s...

Buckeye thread - some pretty on point predictions and then it reads like our FB board when we play the Bucks. Refreshing lack of you know what type of posts that you’ll see a lot on Rutgers or Pitt boards. I didn’t see an Eleven Warriors thread which is weird

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...psu-vs-osu-dual-meet-friday-160948965/?page=1
I like this one....

"Ryan has brought the program to great levels but cael rides him like rocky is on bottom"

There is a lot to unpack there.

Overall that thread was a fun read with my coffee and replay of the match on.

Another brutal quote from that thread:

"Gavin beat Beard in H.S. in a big match but that match just shows the direction some of our guys have taken with the move to college. Instead of getting better or even staying on the same plane, they've regressed and it shows. It's not a good sign for the program."

"Finally, that Joe Lee loss was a big time fluke. The poor kid practically pinned himself...a good freshman lesson learned that he probably won't let happen again. The team is looking pretty strong going into B10s... "

I think it will happen again. Joe wrestles a loose aggressive style. He will likely pin and be pinned in the future.

They are pretty brutal on some of their guys, maybe too brutal. Our programs are on two different levels right now. How many of their guys have Olympic asperations, World Team asperations etc. vs PSU. The difference is as lopsided as the score last night. Wrestling for PSU is riding the pine for the NLWC. OSU has a very high level college wrestling program. That is our floor

RBY may be a bad example, but he has noticeably improved every year. Why wouldn't Beard get better, he wrestles with Bo, DT, Aaron, some coaches whose names begin with C and others. Not everyone gets dramatically better, but it is the case for most starters. It's what we do.

Cael continues to amaze.

Just think what we lost in only a few years with Zain, Nolf, Bo, Mark, Cenzo, not to mention the others.

During that period, on paper, Ohio State has out recruited us and aside from Sasso and Karchla has few shining super stars. Some guys just get into that program and disappear.

I think Cael is the best at recruiting "quality over quantity" and then developing what he has. We are loaded for bear going forward.

While I am at it, it will be interesting to see what Iowa does after the big flush at the end of next year. The Spencer Lee effect was real and effective, and they struck gold through transfers as much as recruiting. I think they could have a dark period as well.

Joe Lee repeatedly over extends himself with what I’ll loosely call throw attempts. He’s gonna score on the lesser guys physically, but I can’t imagine him staying off his back wrestling a guy like Marinelli with that style.

125 - Howard tried to create a scramble that was not there at the end of the second and it cost him. An aggression problem, which is NO PROBLEM at all. Love the effort. Points are a coming at 125.

133 - wants bonus, gets bonus.

141 - see 133.

149. NEXT QUESTION. Points are a coming at 149.

157 - Top 6.

165 - got caught, he will be ok.

174 - CLEAR THE PODIUM

184 - see 174

194 - looked an animal last night, whoever pissed in his Wheaties Please continue to do so.

285- beat last year‘s 8 seed. Points are coming.

Im not good at math, but that looks like 10 scoring wrestlers.
Two weeks out from second best weekend of the year. Four weeks from best weekend of year.
giphy.gif

Joe Lee repeatedly over extends himself with what I’ll loosely call throw attempts. He’s gonna score on the lesser guys physically, but I can’t imagine him staying off his back wrestling a guy like Marinelli with that style.

He didn't go to his back on a throw attempt this weekend.... he went to his back because he attempted to maintain "control" (i.e., not give up the escape from top position) way too late into a Gramby Roll by Smith - essentially, Joe pretty much lost control and in a desperate attempt to regain it dove high onto Smith's back right into a rising and turning Smith (JL was more or less weight-less he was so high and out-of-position that he was defenseless). As Smith turned into a defense-less Lee, he quickly realized that he had Lee's arm trapped over his head and reached across JL's head with his own arm for an immediate pinning combination as he simply kept turning taking Lee to his back and himself on top of him in a chest-to-chest position.

JL could have avoided the whole thing by simply releasing Smith after he Gramby'ed and created separation.... rather than panicking and diving high late onto Smith's back.

Reactions: Lyons212
"Finally, that Joe Lee loss was a big time fluke. The poor kid practically pinned himself...a good freshman lesson learned that he probably won't let happen again. The team is looking pretty strong going into B10s... "

I think it will happen again. Joe wrestles a loose aggressive style. He will likely pin and be pinned in the future.

I remember Bo Nickal wrestling in his first year or two in college. He used to do so much funky stuff that occasionally he would seem to out funk himself, only to get out from underneath the situation he had created and dominate his opponent. And I'm in no way trying to compare Joe to Bo as I think Bo was/is one of the best out there, whereas Joe is a stellar wrestler with a bright future, but you just don't run into a Zain or a Bo every day/year. In the end, Joe is a very talented young man and I'm confident he'll learn from it...even if it does happen again.

Back to Bo and some of the other PSU greats (DT, Ruth, Zain, and so on), I used to get so pissed watching some of the Iowa wrestlers, regardless of how big of a fan I am, because Bo and company would always let it fly and go for the kill, while many of our guys would settle for a decision instead of going for the kill. Used to drive me insane. Thankfully, Spencer's arrival - and his wrestling style - has lit a fire or created/enhanced a mindset that just wasn't there before. I've envied PSU's wresting style/attitude for years, and well it's just been good to enjoy that style from most of our guys these past couple years.

I think B10s will be a battle, and frankly much closer than many expect...can't wait!

I remember Bo Nickal wrestling in his first year or two in college. He used to do so much funky stuff that occasionally he would seem to out funk himself, only to get out from underneath the situation he had created and dominate his opponent. And I'm in no way trying to compare Joe to Bo as I think Bo was/is one of the best out there, whereas Joe is a stellar wrestler with a bright future, but you just don't run into a Zain or a Bo every day/year. In the end, Joe is a very talented young man and I'm confident he'll learn from it...even if it does happen again.

Back to Bo and some of the other PSU greats (DT, Ruth, Zain, and so on), I used to get so pissed watching some of the Iowa wrestlers, regardless of how big of a fan I am, because Bo and company would always let it fly and go for the kill, while many of our guys would settle for a decision instead of going for the kill. Used to drive me insane. Thankfully, Spencer's arrival - and his wrestling style - has lit a fire or created/enhanced a mindset that just wasn't there before. I've envied PSU's wresting style/attitude for years, and well it's just been good to enjoy that style from most of our guys these past couple years.

I think B10s will be a battle, and frankly much closer than many expect...can't wait!
Great post Nash,are we still on for $50,or you wanna do a team type thing?

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Cael continues to amaze.

Just think what we lost in only a few years with Zain, Nolf, Bo, Mark, Cenzo, not to mention the others.

During that period, on paper, Ohio State has out recruited us and aside from Sasso and Karchla has few shining super stars. Some guys just get into that program and disappear.

I think Cael is the best at recruiting "quality over quantity" and then developing what he has. We are loaded for bear going forward.

While I am at it, it will be interesting to see what Iowa does after the big flush at the end of next year. The Spencer Lee effect was real and effective, and they struck gold through transfers as much as recruiting. I think they could have a dark period as well.
Ohio State may win the recruiting battle based upon Flo's rankings, I bet Cael wins the recruiting based upon his rankings. For example, Hoffman was ranked higher than Beard, both wanted to attend PSU, Cael chose Beard.

Reactions: Locolion
He didn't go to his back on a throw attempt this weekend.... he went to his back because he attempted to maintain "control" (i.e., not give up the escape from top position) way too late into a Gramby Roll by Smith - essentially, Joe pretty much lost control and in a desperate attempt to regain it dove high onto Smith's back right into a rising and turning Smith (JL was more or less weight-less he was so high and out-of-position that he was defenseless). As Smith turned into a defense-less Lee, he quickly realized that he had Lee's arm trapped over his head and reached across JL's head with his own arm for an immediate pinning combination as he simply kept turning taking Lee to his back and himself on top of him in a chest-to-chest position.

JL could have avoided the whole thing by simply releasing Smith after he Gramby'ed and created separation.... rather than panicking and diving high late onto Smith's back.
Almost but not quite.

Lee took a shortcut -- he attempted to chop Smith's arm while still down around the legs. He overextended himself and lost any leverage.

He could've cut Smith. Or he could've worked his way back up before attempting the chop. He took Door #3.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Ohio State may win the recruiting battle based upon Flo's rankings, I bet Cael wins the recruiting based upon his rankings. For example, Hoffman was ranked higher than Beard, both wanted to attend PSU, Cael chose Beard.
Beard was actually higher rated when he committed to PSU. Gavin passed him up when he beat Beard at WNO after the commitments. That said.......I think Cael picked the right one either way :)

Beard was actually higher rated when he committed to PSU. Gavin passed him up when he beat Beard at WNO after the commitments. That said.......I think Cael picked the right one either way :)
This is correct.

Adding to it: they were consensus top 2 nationally for their entire SR year, and both top 5 (at least) their JR years. They were very close at the time. Choosing was (as always) a matter of who projected better in college and beyond. Cael is pretty good at that.

It became pretty clear Cael made the right choice with Michael during his greyshirt year when he literally bonused everybody except for Bulsak. (He went up 13-2 before gassing out and getting hammered on bottom in the 3rd) That's the kind of style Cael wants.

This is correct.

Adding to it: they were consensus top 2 nationally for their entire SR year, and both top 5 (at least) their JR years. They were very close at the time. Choosing was (as always) a matter of who projected better in college and beyond. Cael is pretty good at that.
FINALLY.... I got something right. Sadly.....I think I tore a rotator cuff patting myself on the back. Crap

Great post Nash,are we still on for $50,or you wanna do a team type thing?
My friend, the way your man is wrestling I don't want to give a spread. LOL! His defense is incredible. You come up with a good wager and I'm in. I think Kem will take him, but Kem hasn't been rolling up the points, and I could see this going down to 1 point. That said, I'm still game: if Kem wins by 3 you pay, and if it's 2 points or less or a Star victory, I'll pay. That work? :) And again, if you see something else you like, maybe straight up Nick vs. Jaydin, I'm in for that for 50 as well. Money's going for a good cause either way, so you tell me what you like. :) I'll check back tomorrow eve. :)

I’m sure the staff will be working with joe on how to properly defend a granby roll, and he will be fine.

My friend, the way your man is wrestling I don't want to give a spread. LOL! His defense is incredible. You come up with a good wager and I'm in. I think Kem will take him, but Kem hasn't been rolling up the points, and I could see this going down to 1 point. That said, I'm still game: if Kem wins by 3 you pay, and if it's 2 points or less or a Star victory, I'll pay. That work? :) And again, if you see something else you like, maybe straight up Nick vs. Jaydin, I'm in for that for 50 as well. Money's going for a good cause either way, so you tell me what you like. :) I'll check back tomorrow eve. :)
Now that we know our 149, lets do a team thing, more intrigue that way. I think this is gonna be closer than people think.

I think Beard caught Gavin the same way Joe Lee got caught. Beard and Gavin are much closer than that match showed. Gavin has looked good at 97 this year.
The seperation is not as wide as the complete lack of competitiveness Friday's match showed. It isn't close either.

Now that we know our 149, lets do a team thing, more intrigue that way. I think this is gonna be closer than people think.

Very well, my friend. What should we have as the spread? Like you, I too think it will be much closer than most are expecting...a pretty tight two-horse race. I'm standing by for you terms. :) Also, we good with $50 for this one?

Can't wait for the action! :)

Any chance RBY goes 57kgs at olympic trials? I’d love to see RBY vs Lee.

My friend, as I'm sure you know 57kgs is absolutely stacked. Per Flo, as of last week Spencer is ranked 6th in the US, though I think he's probably a tad better than that based on his most recent freestyle performances. With that said, I don't know that I would want to wish competing at this weight class on my worst enemy. LOL. Back to your point, as good as RBY is, and I think he's very impressive, I just don't know that he could handle Lee in freestyle.

My friend, as I'm sure you know 57kgs is absolutely stacked. Per Flo, as of last week Spencer is ranked 6th in the US, though I think he's probably a tad better than that based on his most recent freestyle performances. With that said, I don't know that I would want to wish competing at this weight class on my worst enemy. LOL. Back to your point, as good as RBY is, and I think he's very impressive, I just don't know that he could handle Lee in freestyle.

All that is true. However, if RBY goes at Olynpic Trials he is more likely to go 57kg than 65kg, where he would be very undersized and still have Zain, Yianni, Oliver, etal to deal with.

RBY is in no mans land a bit with the Olympic weights. Tough to see him going down, he is about as lean as a bean. Bulking up makes more sense......if chasing Oliver, Yainni and Zain makes any sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT