ADVERTISEMENT

OSU -13 to open. UPDATE...now at -18.

Hate to say it, but from what I’ve seen from our defense the past few weeks we will lose by 21 plus. We’ve blow coverages about 1/2 dozen times a game. That’s the equivalent of spotting OSU 14/17 points. To top it all off of DL isn’t pressuring the QB at all. We are letting opposing QB throw for an unbelievable completion percentage.

Fields is completing 69% of his passes and has 31 TDs vs 1 INT. Now add the fact that he's a running threat unlike Morgan & Ramsey.

Reactions: map-#1
Fields is completing 69% of his passes and has 31 TDs vs 1 INT. Now add the fact that he's a running threat unlike Morgan & Ramsey.
Yeah, it was a good thing that Ramsey is a bit slow. Fields is not.

Take OSU and give till the cows come home. I see something like 49-21.

For the experts...OSU has not been challenged all year...for obvious reasons they are a great team. But Penn State has...if State keeps this game close for at least three Qtrs...Do the Buckeyes start getting a little tight? How teams handle pressure is always interesting...and I just don't see how OSU had had to worry all season...even keeping starters out in their last two blow out wins..is that a good thing?

Reactions: 81b&w
For the experts...OSU has not been challenged all year...for obvious reasons they are a great team. But Penn State has...if State keeps this game close for at least three Qtrs...Do the Buckeyes start getting a little tight? How teams handle pressure is always interesting...and I just don't see how OSU had had to worry all season...even keeping starters out in their last two blow out wins..is that a good thing?

I agree if we keep it close for 3 quarters the dynamics will change. I just don't see that happening. On the other hand, maybe Saturday all the breaks will go our way and we'll put off a miracle. We'll know soon enough.

and I just don't see how OSU had had to worry all season...even keeping starters out in their last two blow out wins..is that a good thing?

I'm honestly shocked that we have not heard any of this "greatest team ever" stuff about them already. They have played exactly how every fan wants their team to. Have they even had a complaint all year?

Of course, this two game stretch could be dangerous. Perhaps the two toughest games they'll face, but Wisconsin was tough for 2.5 quarters and they still wore them out.

if State keeps this game close for at least three Qtrs...
While I think OSU runs away with this one, I'd suggest Penn State has more to worry about if our guys somehow find themselves with any kind of serious lead going into the fourth than Ohio State does, based on recent history.

No doubt PSU has to take care of it's own issues. That said, I assume Fields is a much greater threat than Martell. Otherwise OSU wouldn't have gone hard after Fields and risk losing Martell.

P.S. Martell had to sit a year. Fields got to play immediately. I think that's B.S.
Sure seems like BS for Martell. But don’t forget the QB OSU lost the prior year—the one playing for LSU and sitting atop of the Heisman board. He also seemed less threatening while on OSU’s bench. If I had my choice, I’d have preferred Martell as well. But they have plenty of talent everywhere and as well as the O is playing, seems the bigger improvement over last year is on D.

PSU has to execute. Good throws. Caught balls. Good calls. Solid coverage.

No doubt PSU has to take care of it's own issues. That said, I assume Fields is a much greater threat than Martell. Otherwise OSU wouldn't have gone hard after Fields and risk losing Martell.

P.S. Martell had to sit a year. Fields got to play immediately. I think that's B.S.
No. Martell is eligible and has played, albeit not much as he was beaten out for the job.

I'm honestly shocked that we have not heard any of this "greatest team ever" stuff about them already. They have played exactly how every fan wants their team to. Have they even had a complaint all year?

Of course, this two game stretch could be dangerous. Perhaps the two toughest games they'll face, but Wisconsin was tough for 2.5 quarters and they still wore them out.
Greatest team ever ? I have them ranked 5th mostly because they haven't played anyone yet this year. Anyone can beat a bunch of HS teams. My rankings in order:
1.) LSU
2.) Clemson
3.) Georgia
4.) Oklahoma
5.) OSU

One more time: PSU 27, OSU 24. Take it to the bank

Saw a website showing that we're 95th in the country in TOP. All year, the offense has hit on a couple of big plays for scores and then go through long droughts, where the defense gets worn down as a result of being on the field for long stretches of time.

On offense, Rahne appears hellbent on calling runs up the middle or sending our WR 15+ yards down field, resulting in a lot of stalled drives. Brown was most successful running against Minnesota and Indiana on plays where he improvised and ran outside, yet all our designed runs are up the gut. Redzone play calling has been a problem.

Defensively, our line can't get a push against any OL with a pulse in the Big Ten. Gross Matos and Toney have a combined 0.5 sacks against Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota. Blitzes ineffective in getting to the QB, and leave our corners in single coverage on the outside, or with open receivers over the middle.

If they take the same gameplan they've had all year into Columbus, they're going to get blown out.

No. He was a hardship due to the coaching change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate_Martell
I really screwed this up. Thanks for the correction.

I think this is B.S. too. Hardship due to a coaching change? Would the entire OSU roster have been eligible to transfer without sitting out a year? Why even have the rule?

IMO this takes away from being a student athlete. The time needed to move, get enrolled in new classes, figure out which credits transfer, learn the new campus, are all on top of learning the new team, playbook, and practice requirements. This has to be a big setback for the academic side of things. The NCAA added cost of attendance and media rights. They are pretty close to just turning the whole thing into a semi pro league and forget academics all together. Some are OK with that. Not me.

Reactions: indynittany
I don't put much stock in comparative scores.
We scored 17 on Pitt. UCF scored 34. Is UCF's offense twice as good as ours? Virginia beat Pitt by 16. We beat them by 7. Is Virginia twice as good as we are?
Stop asking so many damn questions and start providing some answers.

I think offensively we are planning to break all of our tendencies. I think it was the season plan. Unfortunately we lost to Minnesota. Bottom line will be if we can keep them under 30. If they get north of 30, I just don't see us in that kind of air.

TAKE THE POINTS AND RUN!
We should be an underdog, without a doubt, but we typically play them very tough. I think it'll be under 10 points.

They didn’t need to against Rutgers. They don’t recruit against them. They will look to send a message.
It wasn’t too long ago this board was saying we were closing the gap with them and they needed to be concerned. That sentiment sure has changed in 8 days.

Not with everybody.

Yes they did, but that in large part was because Wisky is a one dimensional offense.

Yes they did, but that in large part was because Wisky is a one dimensional offense.
I think OSU made Wisky 1 dimensional in that game. Completely took away the Wisky running game that sets up their play action.
PSU must establish a running game

Very true. Wisky didn't have the ability to keep 7 or 8 out of the box consistently. OSU DL and LBs were just too much. It's going to be an interesting game plan for us. Can't have drops on our early RPOs. Those will be crucial.

Going to need a strong showing from our secondary, 2 turnovers from OSU, and Dodson (or a second WR) to have a 100+ yd game.

Greatest team ever ? I have them ranked 5th mostly because they haven't played anyone yet this year. Anyone can beat a bunch of HS teams. My rankings in order:
1.) LSU
2.) Clemson
3.) Georgia
4.) Oklahoma
5.) OSU

Michigan 24 Ohio State 12. Take it to the bank

1.) LSU
2.) Clemson
3.) Georgia
4.) Oklahoma
5.) OSU

How much are you willing to bet (lose) ???

I think OSU made Wisky 1 dimensional in that game. Completely took away the Wisky running game that sets up their play action.
PSU must establish a running game

That’s precisely my point. OSU took away Wisky’s running game because they knew their QB couldn’t make plays.

It’s called the mercy rule. And keeping your boys healthy

Saw a website showing that we're 95th in the country in TOP. All year, the offense has hit on a couple of big plays for scores and then go through long droughts, where the defense gets worn down as a result of being on the field for long stretches of time.

On offense, Rahne appears hellbent on calling runs up the middle or sending our WR 15+ yards down field, resulting in a lot of stalled drives. Brown was most successful running against Minnesota and Indiana on plays where he improvised and ran outside, yet all our designed runs are up the gut. Redzone play calling has been a problem.

Defensively, our line can't get a push against any OL with a pulse in the Big Ten. Gross Matos and Toney have a combined 0.5 sacks against Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota. Blitzes ineffective in getting to the QB, and leave our corners in single coverage on the outside, or with open receivers over the middle.

If they take the same gameplan they've had all year into Columbus, they're going to get blown out.
1000% accurate....here is the problem we have going up against the likes of Michigan and OSU annually and where we have struggled recruiting...using your two sentences "Defensively, our line can't get a push against any OL with a pulse in the Big Ten. Gross Matos and Toney have a combined 0.5 sacks against Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota". OSU has had studs up front the last decade that have been game changers....Clemson with all those 1st rounders, including Christian Wilkins, who might have made the difference with us making a playoff since we were heavy after him. I know Phil gets so enamored every preseason with how fast Oweh runs or how much this guy lifts and Coach Spencer with the "wild dogs" nickname...but its all mumbo jumbo...we are too small to win the LOS and apparently, don't have enough speed to cause havoc in big moments...that equals exactly what u just wrote...a 1/2 sack in about a month...at this stage of the program with the star rankings at that position, Spencer needs to be heavily criticized...not one guy is a stud or close to it.

Chase Young: 6-5 265 lbs
YGM: 6-5 265 lbs

Average Height/Weight:

PSU Starting OL:
6-5 323 lbs
OSU Starting OL:
6-5 311 lbs

PSU Starting DL:
6-3 276 lbs
OSU Starting DL:
6-4 280 lbs

OK :)

LOL

Think First : Post Second
Oh, I've thought about it alot...and I don't think a 1/2 sack in a four game span by your "best DE's" is worth salt. And Toney and Oweh are a little light right now by all accounts. Yes, comparing actual heights and weights you are correct, but my overall point I think was made that our front four isn't where they should be...I think we can all agree.

Could be.

But it is - clearly and undeniably - NOT due to being “too small”, as you had claimed.
From a literal standpoint, u are correct, sir. Maybe I should have said, they play small. YGM as u mentioned is physically the part, as is Chase Young, and he is incognito in most games. Windsor shined vs Iowa, haven't heard from him since. Oweh vs MSU, and then nothing. We are a notch or two below OSU (but still probably the closest to them) of anyone in the B1G...and to me, where it shows the most, is up front -- more so than at the skill positions. JF talks all the time about game wreckers -- how much PSU needs them and what they look for on film when scouting an opponent. We certainly have game wreckers on offense in Pat and KJ, we don't have close to one on defense. That is a HUGE issue.

ADVERTISEMENT