ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Order Restored: PSU 2022 National Champs!

Over on Mat.com, someone (I think an Iowa fan, Vak Attack) claimed the following:

"Penn State won the team title 2 hours ago in front of me and about 3k people. It's silly and detrimental to the sport. Dual tournament should decide the team title."

So, I had to chime in:

Well ... Penn State beat Michigan, Iowa, Arizona State, and Nebraska in duals this year: the # 2, 3, 4, and 5 teams at NCAAs.

No need to appeal to appeal to counterfactuals. It's a done deal no matter how you figure it. The race was just for second.
Most exciting championship in years was the 2018 championships. Bo pinning Martin would be a cool moment in wrestling history no matter what. Bo's moment is magnified a 1000 times and will grow even brighter in the history of the Championships because of the added impact of the team championship.
Vac Attack is full of mud.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Weird flex, but ok. I never claimed that Penn State would have lost, they'd be heavy favorites in any dual they entered. My one, sole point was that it is lame and weird the way we decide the team champion, and notably bad for the prestige of the award. I am also on the record for years and years wanting it. Penn State was great in this tournament. Starocci, in particular, looked as good as I've ever seen him. But the fact that Penn State actually won the title was when Will Lewan beat (but didn't pin) Jacori Teemer without a Penn State wrestler in sight just sucks as an idea.

I'm the minority on this subject, including among Iowa fans, but it would be a better overall product (and make for better moments) for the title to be decided by a dual meet, where the championship team gets to storm the mat after their championship is won and celebrate.

I was in the building when Penn State won. It was a graveyard, and it takes away from our sport (IMO, and yes, I understand this is very much only my opinion). It was the same last year when Iowa won. The winning of the team championship should be an exciting moment, and in the way we do it now, it's an afterthought. Think about almost every successful sport after the team wins the championship; they're celebrating there on the field/court/playing surface. We don't get that in wrestling (for the teams; individuals obviously get it), and we could.

Saturday morning is always dead. It's the nature of the thing. If teams want the title to be decided at a better time, they should try still being in it Saturday night.

so I guess you were thinking this when iowa was winning all those team titles or ok state??well its always been this way!!
.... yes. I feel like I've already established that my opinion is long-held. I don't know if I really had an opinion the last time Okie State won a title, but I formulated my opinion some time during the Metcalf Era at Iowa, when I became more invested.

In the most successful sports, the whole roster affects the outcome. If you have a terrible player in football or basketball starting, he will be exploited

.... yes. I feel like I've already established that my opinion is long-held. I don't know if I really had an opinion the last time Okie State won a title, but I formulated my opinion some time during the Metcalf Era at Iowa, when I became more invested.

In the most successful sports, the whole roster affects the outcome. If you have a terrible player in football or basketball starting, he will be exploited
How did Bo win it all on Saturday night? Look to the Team guys that made hay on Saturday morning in the consolations.

Don't disagree...team sports are often about the match-ups and taking advantage where you can. Wrestling is more akin to fencing, gymnastics, swimming & diving or track & field. All can be boiled down to individuals competing and contributing to the team. Different animal altogether.

One weak weight class for a team, and the opposition can take advantage, but it ends there with nine more guys hitting the mat. In basketball, a weak starter affects the whole game.

Reactions: David Keller
We beat the #s 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7 teams in head-to-head duals this year. 8, 9 & 10 were in the same dual tourney that we won. So. . . .
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic because some ingrate was spouting off before Nationals that we weren't well rounded enough to win lol

Reactions: nerfstate
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic because some ingrate was spouting off before Nationals that we weren't well rounded enough to win lol
yeah I got it. That guy was insufferable. I just like bragging about our team. 😀

LOL well well rounded enough to win 9 team titles in 11 yrs and well rounded enough to kick the crap out of every team in the country in duals so whats your point? just as I thought you have none!

I think he was making a sarcastic comical reference to a former poster who liked to repeatedly claim that we had "holes" in the line-up...

Weird flex, but ok. I never claimed that Penn State would have lost, they'd be heavy favorites in any dual they entered. My one, sole point was that it is lame and weird the way we decide the team champion, and notably bad for the prestige of the award. I am also on the record for years and years wanting it. Penn State was great in this tournament. Starocci, in particular, looked as good as I've ever seen him. But the fact that Penn State actually won the title was when Will Lewan beat (but didn't pin) Jacori Teemer without a Penn State wrestler in sight just sucks as an idea.

I'm the minority on this subject, including among Iowa fans, but it would be a better overall product (and make for better moments) for the title to be decided by a dual meet, where the championship team gets to storm the mat after their championship is won and celebrate.

I was in the building when Penn State won. It was a graveyard, and it takes away from our sport (IMO, and yes, I understand this is very much only my opinion). It was the same last year when Iowa won. The winning of the team championship should be an exciting moment, and in the way we do it now, it's an afterthought. Think about almost every successful sport after the team wins the championship; they're celebrating there on the field/court/playing surface. We don't get that in wrestling (for the teams; individuals obviously get it), and we could.
Teams constantly clinch without being on the field when their competition loses. Look at the PL in England, they don't have playoffs so it's a fairly common occurrence.

Teams constantly clinch without being on the field when their competition loses. Look at the PL in England, they don't have playoffs so it's a fairly common occurrence.
Then you have individual sports where the athlete doesn’t even have to be on the field when he/she wins it. Fans go to see golfers win a tournament just like wrestling fans go to see teams win one right? Golfers can and do win majors while sitting in the clubhouse drinking a sweet tea…

Penn State fans missing the well-rounded team reference:

ted-knight-golf-tee.gif
Man.....Kevin Na looked different back then :)

ADVERTISEMENT